Archeage

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
there are open world bosses to raid but end game gear is all crafted in a very asiany lottery crafting system.
Very worrying. I did not enjoy Aions/Tera's way of enchanting, socketing,rerolling stats etc, on pure RNG. And that was with both those systems tuned down from their original.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ya, the asian is definatly still in the game. Lottery crafting, if you dont want to do that you need 1000 or so of a mob drop from a specific area...but theres 6 variations of the drop.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Crafting is certainly very tough for an individual but not impossible. It gets easier with a small group feeding you and guilds will obviously do very well with mats getting funneled to a few crafters in each vocation. One thing really hampering things on the alpha server is there are so few players and the economy right now is non existent. People also don't really know what the hell they are doing and certain things can really impact your success rates with some of them not even being in game right now.

In RU I was mostly solo since I joined a week late into the ordeal and wasn't really pushing. Crafting also isn't really my thing. So I sold my mats that I gathered and was easily able to buy my gear. Mats sell well and they are easy to farm up or mine in the world. In addition to being worth $$$ they also give shit tons of xp for gathering so its not really a chore.

Hard core crafters will love it, anyone else will just buy the shit they need. If you try to go it alone in crafting YMMV as its not the easiest game to just solo play in, gather what you need and make your own shit.

One side note, crafted gear isn't BOP or BOE.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
meh i never digged archeage's graphic and i still don't. reminds me of EQ a little...I dunno why.
The graphics are good. Certainly not the best and I pref the look of TESO's world which was very well done (graphics wise) but overall Archeage's graphics are good and its world design is excellent. There hasn't been a world like this in a long time. Seamless, open, huge and well done.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The game looks just ok when you're playing it. It's not very impressive. It's a solid C+ or B. There is some input lag though with your mouse for whatever reason. Duno why.

I'm not sure if I can get over a combat system that is all hotbar/tab target that just has a large list of high cooldown abilities. It's full of combos that you can pull off like every 20-30 seconds.

Might be better in PVP I guess, but in PVE it's irritating.

This is a newbie perspective though.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure if I can get over a combat system that is all hotbar/tab target that just has a large list of high cooldown abilities. It's full of combos that you can pull off like every 20-30 seconds.

this is actually one of the better things about PvP. You can combo off other players abilities so it creates a real group dynamic with all the different combinations since just about every skill has a meaningful interaction. its what synergies in ESO should be.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
You must not of looked far because its nothing like Aion.

It has more in common with Eve and Shadowbane than Aion.
I didn't play any of those three games. What comparisons to UO, EQ1, WoW, DAOC, TESO etc can you make?

A sandbox game with open world PVP where other players can steal/destroy your property sounds a lot like UO to me.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I didn't play any of those three games. What comparisons to UO, EQ1, WoW, DAOC, TESO etc can you make?

A sandbox game with open world PVP where other players can steal/destroy your property sounds a lot like UO to me.
Its a healthy mix of several games that the current crop of MMO's should of been incorporating for a long time.

You have trade runs for currency which obviously enemies or friendlies can gank your ass and take your pack for their own reward. When it happens it burns. When you do it to someone else its a high five moment. This is kind of like Eve.

Best gear is crafted. Drops are needed to make the gear.

People's personal farms and houses are off limits unless they give you access. What people steal is their stuff not located on their property. You generally will want stuff faster or more stuff and people will place secret farms in the massive world that is out there. If you can see it you can get to it and as you get out of the teens the world is really huge, open and seamless. So if you explore there is a good chance you'll run across someone's crap in a non protected area and when you do its "OH YEAH!" moment. You can harvest all their crap and then cut it down for lumber for a double the loot and smile knowing when they go check it later they will be pissed. Do this to the enemy and no issue. Do this to your own faction and you get criminal points.

PvP up on the northern continent is kind of like SB and some traditional DAOC / GW2 siege. There are resources up there people will want and prime, limited real estate people will fight over. 24/7 war up there and sieges on guild castles use something similar to a bane timer.

The game is mostly faction vs faction with 2 main factions. Guilds can form their own faction if they dominate and pick the friends they want to deal with. There is also a pirate faction for people that just want to salt the earth.

You see faction vs faction combat around 30. You are heavily encouraged to interact with each other. You can see your own faction flag and gank you as well although there are consequences to doing so and stealing your factions stuff or just mindless killing them can quickly make you a pirate if you aren't careful or put you in jail. Jail time increases the more you do.

There are dungeons and lots of world bosses to fight over. Dungeon loot is ok for leveling but you'll want crafted at end game.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
When you say there are two main factions, do you mean something hard coded into the game like Horde vs Alliance, Republic vs Empire, etc or something else?

If there are two main hardcoded factions like Horde vs Alliance, I'm confused with what you mean when you say that guilds can form their own faction.

The game looks just ok when you're playing it. It's not very impressive. It's a solid C+ or B. There is some input lag though with your mouse for whatever reason. Duno why.

This is a newbie perspective though.
Son of a bitch! Do you get into all the Alphas?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Draegan holding out on us, probably handing keys out like candy to premium RR subscribers.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
If I understood Kedwyn correctly, you can gank and steal from anyone at anytime. If you gank/steal from someone in your own faction you get criminal points. What happens to the griefers who focus on ganking players from their own faction and who rack up massive amounts of criminal points? I read there was some form of justice system under the control of the players but have no idea how it would be able to punish the griefers for their misbehavior.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If I understood Kedwyn correctly, you can gank and steal from anyone at anytime. If you gank/steal from someone in your own faction you get criminal points. What happens to the griefers who focus on ganking players from their own faction and who rack up massive amounts of criminal points? I read there was some form of justice system under the control of the players but have no idea how it would be able to punish the griefers for their misbehavior.
If you get sent to prison to many times you get kicked out of your own faction and become a pirate.