Archeage

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
If you get sent to prison to many times you get kicked out of your own faction and become a pirate.
Ok if a player becomes a pirate in that manner, does that mean anyone can kill them and take their stuff without acquiring criminal points?

Also, if someone gets put into prison, in functional gameplay terms what is the actual penalty? Does that mean they can't login and play their character for X number of hours or days?

The idea of a pirate/criminal faction sounds like it can create some dynamic PVP opportunities. I never played UO but I did read how the community divided up into PK and PK hunter guilds.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ok if a player becomes a pirate in that manner, does that mean anyone can kill them and take their stuff without acquiring criminal points?

Also, if someone gets put into prison, in functional gameplay terms what is the actual penalty? Does that mean they can't login and play their character for X number of hours or days?

The idea of a pirate/criminal faction sounds like it can create some dynamic PVP opportunities. I never played UO but I did read how the community divided up into PK and PK hunter guilds.
Dunno if anything has changed from this but it's pretty accurate I hope.

ArcheAge the Criminal System (Crime-Court-Prison-Pirate CBT5) - New Articles & Guides - ArcheAge Source

The Pirate Way - New Articles & Guides - ArcheAge Source

Aleatha

Silver Knight of the Realm
I wonder what the eta on release is. This game is really the only new MMO I have hope for atm.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the link. I assume some people will do whatever it takes to become a pirate as quickly as possible. The deterrent of not being able to use any skills while you have the prison debuff will probably have zero impact on them.

I would hope if the game allows PKers to gank and steal from players of their own faction, there is a mechanism in place for the victim to track down the PKer to get revenge and take back what was stolen from them.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Yesterday for the first time ever I watched a streamer on Twitch. IMO watching someone else playing a game versus actually playing one yourself has always seemed like a collosal waste of time but in this case since AAge is in closed testing, it seemed like a good way to see some of the basics of gameplay.

I was watching some guy named Towelie since he had the most viewers. On a side note, do the streamers put on some kind of faux act to entertain the people watching them? First impression I got of this Towelie guy was not a positive one so no idea why anyone would want to watch him play a game. I suppose it could be a generation gap thing beyond my understanding. My 13 year old son talks about Call of Duty streamers all the time so he would probably get it.

Anyways, based on what I saw of AAge with Towelie playing it, I saw a basic WoW clone with quest hubs and exclamation points over the head of NPCs giving out quests to kill 10 bears and collect 10 bear asses. The combat also seemed like it was basic WoW combat with a lot of abilities with cooldowns as well as a global cooldown. The PVE mobs were all dead in a few seconds so it appeared that part of the game was designed for soloing. Bottom line is everything I saw in that short demo reminded me of the basic WoW theme park design that has been prevalent in MMOs for the past 10 years.

I only watched for 10 minutes and the streamer never did any of the sandbox stuff Kedwyn discussed. Is that an indication that there are distinct areas where the PVE is theme park and different areas where the sandbox elements kick in?

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Yesterday for the first time ever I watched a streamer on Twitch.
haha first time on twitch is rough. Streamer personalities are like on TV. Sometimes you have folks just doing outrageous crazy stuff just for ratings.

You should definitely check out some of the other streamers: Nekrage, Kittehkat, and any of the PRX guys who were streaming are all pretty good.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Yesterday for the first time ever I watched a streamer on Twitch. IMO watching someone else playing a game versus actually playing one yourself has always seemed like a collosal waste of time but in this case since AAge is in closed testing, it seemed like a good way to see some of the basics of gameplay.

I was watching some guy named Towelie since he had the most viewers. On a side note, do the streamers put on some kind of faux act to entertain the people watching them? First impression I got of this Towelie guy was not a positive one so no idea why anyone would want to watch him play a game. I suppose it could be a generation gap thing beyond my understanding. My 13 year old son talks about Call of Duty streamers all the time so he would probably get it.

Anyways, based on what I saw of AAge with Towelie playing it, I saw a basic WoW clone with quest hubs and exclamation points over the head of NPCs giving out quests to kill 10 bears and collect 10 bear asses. The combat also seemed like it was basic WoW combat with a lot of abilities with cooldowns as well as a global cooldown. The PVE mobs were all dead in a few seconds so it appeared that part of the game was designed for soloing. Bottom line is everything I saw in that short demo reminded me of the basic WoW theme park design that has been prevalent in MMOs for the past 10 years.

I only watched for 10 minutes and the streamer never did any of the sandbox stuff Kedwyn discussed. Is that an indication that there are distinct areas where the PVE is theme park and different areas where the sandbox elements kick in?
Quests are uninspired and generic. Leveling is fast and quests are optional. You can grind to max and craft your gear if you choose. You an also grind dungeons or just harvest a ton of shit since they throw xp around pretty liberally. I've done a mix of everything ( including all the quests) and yes the quests are theme park, i don't care for them but they do a good job of bringing you around a massive, open world and they are trivial to complete for the most part so its not so bad. Despite the shitty leveling experience i and I'd wager many others will have many alts in this game. Leveling is trivial and most people will be maxed in a week or two tops.

Its tab targeting. I don't care for it, I'm a fan of tera style (minus the animation locks) but fact is most games that released recently have had shitty combat. AA combat is well done, responsive and works well. Its a non issue for most people even people that prefer action combat like me.

Abilities are powerful and most do have cool downs. Class choice determines how much you are managing them. This isn't EQ2 like abilities or bloat. Everything in AA has a good meaty feel to it and fairly powerful. If something is on CD, for the most part I know it and miss it.

Sand box starts at the northern island. You can go there around the 20's or earlier but its 50+ up there. A group of mid 20's can easily kill a 50 so levels are kind of flat in this game but do still matter. I've solo killed people 8 to 10 levels over me so its not a death sentence having a higher level stalking around although it is a tough fight.

Trade runs start at 15 or so but ramp up around 30 but you can do them whenever.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like the PVE leveling in this game is essentially the same as what countless people on this forum have been complaining about for years (WoW clone themepark) and on the same level of bad as Neverwinter or Tera quests.

However, this is tolerable for you because leveling is quick and you can get finished with themepark portion of the game in a couple of weeks and move on to the sandbox portion of the game, which is where the game really shines. Did I interpret you correctly?

One thing that has me curious is when you say leveling is quick and will only take most players a couple of weeks. That contradicts the stereotype of grinding associated with Asian MMOs, especially so since the designer of this game also designed Lineage. I wonder if the leveling curve in the alpha has been sped up significantly so you can test end game content?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like the PVE leveling in this game is essentially the same as what countless people on this forum have been complaining about for years (WoW clone themepark) and on the same level of bad as Neverwinter or Tera quests.

However, this is tolerable for you because leveling is quick and you can get finished with themepark portion of the game in a couple of weeks and move on to the sandbox portion of the game, which is where the game really shines. Did I interpret you correctly?

One thing that has me curious is when you say leveling is quick and will only take most players a couple of weeks. That contradicts the stereotype of grinding associated with Asian MMOs, especially so since the designer of this game also designed Lineage. I wonder if the leveling curve in the alpha has been sped up significantly so you can test end game content?
Leveling is the same as RU or KR. So its not sped up. Korean Lineage and Aion style grinds to level haven't been around since, well, lineage and aion. Tera was a breeze to level in as an example and Archeage is even easier. The old Korean level grinds don't exist in the games they are bringing here.

Games are all about trade offs. I accept the trade off that the leveling isn't super awesome sauce because the rest of the game is excellent. In addition, just because a game has quests doesn't mean that they are = in the leveling experience.

Lets take WildStar and NWN as examples.

Both of those games have more or less identical leveling and Archeage has quests in a similar vein. Just like every recent game with the exception of GW2. The games however play entirely different. I spit at leveling in Wildstar and didn't make it to end game in NWN because those games ultimately had no draw for me. Archeage has more to offer.

First the world is different. Archeage is open, seamless and massive. NWN is a tiny corridor and feels exactly like that from start to finish. Wildstar is somewhere in the middle but still feels very cattle call like for me. Engine performance and world design play into this heavily. Archeage feels like an actual world not just some zone designer_212 put together.

Second not every game has the same number of distractions and if they do have distractions they are often shallow. One thing that helps immensely in Archeage is that about 10 - 15 mobs = 1 quest and harvesting / refining / crafting is also excellent xp. Same thing with trade runs, getting your farm set up and in production and your housing. You can spend several nights a week working on a lot of different things other than leveling because they are all super rewarding and you forget that you still have 30 levels to go in game. You can very easily get distracted. This isn't even taking into account PvP, GvG, the under water content, naval stuff, contested mobs, contested resources and a plethora of other stuff in game.

Third you will see enemies in your leveling areas. Lots of care bears might not like that and if that is the case they can do other things while the zones are at war. There are options. There is a certain dynamic to the game that you can't really find easily in the genre. You will be heavily encouraged to interact with people including the other faction. Sure some games throw PVP in and some even have open world PVP but it is an after thought. Not so in Archeage. The PVP isn't harsh enough to bottom feed everyone out of existence like in Darkfall or some of the other hard core games but its satisfying enough and good enough that it feels very well balanced. Key word is balanced, at least reasonable so.

Fourth the skill system is diverse and outstanding. Not since Shadowbane have I been this impressed with the player classes. Much of these games is about character development and player interaction. Most of the newer games are so stale in this regard and sterile that its not nearly as satisfying as games of old. Something Wildstar and NWN suffer from. There is no Fireball 1, fireball 2 etc. Take a look at the skill builders, there are tons of awesome skills and a variety of great paths that actually VARY and are VIABLE. There will be a lot of diversity in player builds in game.

Fifth the meta game will be alive and flourishing. There are tons of little and some really big things that are going to be interesting for those that enjoy that stuff. There will be lots of forum drama, even more in game drama and things are going to be interesting. Most games are so sterile and linear that this hasn't really been the case much. There are going to be some incredible feuds playing out.

Sixth this game was designed from the ground up for players and guilds to interact and kill each other on a variety of levels. If you don't like PvP or don't normally look for it don't worry it will find you. If that bothers you then go back to panda land or sit there and bang your head against a keep door that will get taken and retaken over and over 500x before the campaign is up.

There are games where what you do mean pretty much nothing and there are games where you actions can have consequence. Archeage is the later. Hardly perfect but by far the most complete game to come out in a very long time.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like I said before, people will jump on the hate train for a game they don't have fun in or play, but will easily look over those same complaints in another game if they have fun or play it. Hypocrisy is very common. Or you get the usual "it just doesn't feel right". Players love to champion what they are currently playing and hate anything they are not playing or even previously played.

I need to see some siege pvp and more ship pvp, probably the best thing and only interesting thing about this game. iirc its player built cities? I hope so, because that's the best incentive and consequence you can have.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Thanks for the breakdown Ked. AA absolutely sounds like a game I need to play. Here's hoping it moves into Beta sooner rather than later.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Leveling is the same as RU or KR. So its not sped up. Korean Lineage and Aion style grinds to level haven't been around since, well, lineage and aion. Tera was a breeze to level in as an example and Archeage is even easier. The old Korean level grinds don't exist in the games they are bringing here.

Games are all about trade offs. I accept the trade off that the leveling isn't super awesome sauce because the rest of the game is excellent. In addition, just because a game has quests doesn't mean that they are = in the leveling experience.

Lets take WildStar and NWN as examples.

Both of those games have more or less identical leveling and Archeage has quests in a similar vein. Just like every recent game with the exception of GW2. The games however play entirely different. I spit at leveling in Wildstar and didn't make it to end game in NWN because those games ultimately had no draw for me. Archeage has more to offer.

First the world is different. Archeage is open, seamless and massive. NWN is a tiny corridor and feels exactly like that from start to finish. Wildstar is somewhere in the middle but still feels very cattle call like for me. Engine performance and world design play into this heavily. Archeage feels like an actual world not just some zone designer_212 put together.

Second not every game has the same number of distractions and if they do have distractions they are often shallow. One thing that helps immensely in Archeage is that about 10 - 15 mobs = 1 quest and harvesting / refining / crafting is also excellent xp. Same thing with trade runs, getting your farm set up and in production and your housing. You can spend several nights a week working on a lot of different things other than leveling because they are all super rewarding and you forget that you still have 30 levels to go in game. You can very easily get distracted. This isn't even taking into account PvP, GvG, the under water content, naval stuff, contested mobs, contested resources and a plethora of other stuff in game.

Third you will see enemies in your leveling areas. Lots of care bears might not like that and if that is the case they can do other things while the zones are at war. There are options. There is a certain dynamic to the game that you can't really find easily in the genre. You will be heavily encouraged to interact with people including the other faction. Sure some games throw PVP in and some even have open world PVP but it is an after thought. Not so in Archeage. The PVP isn't harsh enough to bottom feed everyone out of existence like in Darkfall or some of the other hard core games but its satisfying enough and good enough that it feels very well balanced. Key word is balanced, at least reasonable so.

Fourth the skill system is diverse and outstanding. Not since Shadowbane have I been this impressed with the player classes. Much of these games is about character development and player interaction. Most of the newer games are so stale in this regard and sterile that its not nearly as satisfying as games of old. Something Wildstar and NWN suffer from. There is no Fireball 1, fireball 2 etc. Take a look at the skill builders, there are tons of awesome skills and a variety of great paths that actually VARY and are VIABLE. There will be a lot of diversity in player builds in game.

Fifth the meta game will be alive and flourishing. There are tons of little and some really big things that are going to be interesting for those that enjoy that stuff. There will be lots of forum drama, even more in game drama and things are going to be interesting. Most games are so sterile and linear that this hasn't really been the case much. There are going to be some incredible feuds playing out.

Sixth this game was designed from the ground up for players and guilds to interact and kill each other on a variety of levels. If you don't like PvP or don't normally look for it don't worry it will find you. If that bothers you then go back to panda land or sit there and bang your head against a keep door that will get taken and retaken over and over 500x before the campaign is up.

There are games where what you do mean pretty much nothing and there are games where you actions can have consequence. Archeage is the later. Hardly perfect but by far the most complete game to come out in a very long time.
Thanks for the detailed writeup.

I personally enjoyed WoW up thru WotLK so the themepark PVE design, with tab targetting and skills on cooldowns don't bother me at all.

My playtime is significantly a lot less than it was when I started playing EQ1 back when it came out. Avoiding getting a divorce combined with kids getting older means my playtime is typically limited to 30-60 minutes chunks of time. Every once in a while I get 2-3 hours of free time I can commit to playing but those are rare. For those of us who are casual gamers now, what kind of negative impact will that have on progression and competitiveness in PVP in this game? I fully understand a lot of people will get to level cap ASAP while it will take me significantly longer. Those same people will always have better gear than me as well. That doesn't bother me at all. With that said, what will a casual gamer like me be doing in this game when I eventually catch up in levels to everyone else?

BTW the fifth and sixth thing you mentioned about the meta game and PVP sounds like a winner to me. Even though I was not a progression raider in EQ1, one thing I do miss about that game are the server forums where there was constant drama involving players in the raiding guilds who were competing against each other for raids bosses. One thing I also liked about EQ1 was you and your guild had a reputation. If AAge can recreate the social community dynamics that EQ1 had, then I imagine that will make it hugely popular.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
my biggest worry about this game is that there isnt a lot to do at the end. Theres no real open ended system to keep people playing on a daily basis. PvP is fun but theres no loss except when someone is carrying a trade pack. Not long after launch, you wont need the rewards from those trade packs, then its just empty pvp with no reward. Sieging is only once a week so you cant really count on that to keep people logging on.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Lots of women stream on twitch. I clicked on to one today and she had listed her top donors, some scrub had given her a $3000 donation.

Apparently the PVE portion is for leveling up and there are some world bosses for end game raiding.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Lots of women stream on twitch. I clicked on to one today and she had listed her top donors, some scrub had given her a $3000 donation.
Ha, you think that's bad. Youtube girls, cosplayers and such have mail day ever week, where they open hundreds of dollars worth of gifts morons have sent them. It's pretty sad.

Just suffered through some fat fuck's twitch stream for half an hour hoping to win an AA key. Guy sings karoake every time someone subscribes (4.99). It was painful.

Can't wait for this game to hit beta, don't understand what the fucking holdup is.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you bid on the auction house for a chance to siege one of 12 castles. These sieges only occur once per week per castle. I havnt seen but i imagine they happen at or around the same time.