Archeage

It's about time. This game has been on my radar for a while now. The ship battle gameplay I saw a while back was enough to get me excited.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's about time. This game has been on my radar for a while now. The ship battle gameplay I saw a while back was enough to get me excited.
That has been the only video that has me wanting to at least try the game. Where they were out jacking peoples boats and gliding onto people in cities from cliff tops.

Crazy to think translations take so long.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So, is this a Korean 3D Haven & Hearth?
Well it's just a sandbox-y mmo, it's kinda like a korean modern UO if you want, can call it a lot of things. Should point out since I don't know what you're referring to other than checking out some screenshots, there's a heavy emphasis on PvP. It has sieges and it has FFA PvP(I believe however they will have PvE servers in the western version, or maybe they'll add more restrictions, don't know).

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Well it's just a sandbox-y mmo, it's kinda like a korean modern UO if you want, can call it a lot of things. Should point out since I don't know what you're referring to other than checking out some screenshots, there's a heavy emphasis on PvP. It has sieges and it has FFA PvP(I believe however they will have PvE servers in the western version, or maybe they'll add more restrictions, don't know).
Haven & Hearth is basically a game where you start out with nothing, make yourself cloths and shit, maybe even a small settlement, and then get raped by Russians. It's the most hardcore and infuriating little MMO I've ever played.

It just seems like ArchAge is trying for some of the same things. Big sandbox game.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Well, is this game worth it or not? Or do we not know enough yet? I really dropped it off my radar for while because I thought it would take forever to get it in a playable US state.

Yeah they went back to radio silence after announcing the Friends & Family Alpha. I really want to try this out.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
I don't know for sure, but I don't think this is going well. It is not doing very well in Korea and Ithinkthey are trying to sort its failings out there before rolling out internationally. It could be a while. The game is pretty and very, very sandbox, but TBH, the only people that I suspect would like this game on this forum are Tuco and the PRX crowd. The sole content in this game is e-peen pvp flexing. The rest is sandbox to the exclusion of directed stuff to do. Think SWG (which might appeal to some, but not many).

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
What Oloh said is pretty much spot on. It doesn't appeal well there at all. When I played it during the korean beta I didnt feel like it was anything special. I dont think it will be a smash hit over here either. At most you'll get a few months of rivalry out of it in the form of pvp. From what it looks like, not much has been added since the korean beta, so I suspect they are trying to figure out what to do to save the game in other markets. I believe the company behind the game was strapped for cash and was seeking more investments before they went into beta. One of the guys here on the board is a korean native and was in the investment market at that time, said they were having cash problems then. I'll give the US beta another go, but I doubt it I'll care past that if nothing new has been added.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
I don't know why "Sandbox" has somehow come to mean "no pve content." Even if your focus is on player driven stuff to do, you have to have at least enough goals and objectives to give a sense of progression. Even in a purely PvP game, adding non-instanced PvE content is one of the most simple ways to give players something to fight over. I understand elaborate sieges and stuff like that can have a ton of appeal, but there were a LOT of fights on Rallos Zek and Sullon Zek over nothing more than a frenzied ghoul froglock.

Hartsman_sl

shitlord
The sole content in this game is e-peen pvp flexing. The rest is sandbox to the exclusion of directed stuff to do.
Hey. I've logged an unhealthy amount playing it since just before xmas. Not sure where that info came from, but it's very fortunately not the case.

There are paths with a metric ton of directed content if one chooses to stay on it (both story and zone level), but I think the game really shines once you stepoffthat path into the crafting, building, interdependencies, exploration, and the rest. And the scope of "the rest" is...large. Really looking forward to getting the test up at scale.

It's been going very well lately - XL's recently been able to swing their attention back toward ours, so the rate of change has picked up a lot over the past couple months.

I'm level 50 in my first set of classes, second set are ~L37, haven't even gotten into PvP yet, there's still static quest content I haven't touched, and I haven't seen about 1/3 of the world. Haven't fully mastered any craft skills, have been dabbling in about half of the 20. Have two boats, a house, a farm. Haven't played much of the economic game. Have played with the exploration (treasure maps, raising treasure chests from shipwrecks). Have been playing the trading game. Haven't composed music. Have only done a couple of the dungeons. Actually needed to do crazy things like "use CC." Really want to do more of those.

That's the 30 second version.

- Scott

Edit: A couple things some folks here might appreciate more than talking to press:
1) One of my first combos I tried included their Songweaver (Bard). I twisted three songs, old school style. Laughed when it worked.
2) A lot less BoE/BoP than I expected. Surprised me, they deal with item exits differently. Another system I'm looking forward to seeing at scale with a full economy.

Think SWG (which might appeal to some, but not many).
That's the 30 second version.

- Scott

Edit: A couple things some folks here might appreciate more than talking to press:
1) One of my first combos I tried included their Songweaver (Bard). I twisted three songs, old school style. Laughed when it worked.
2) A lot less BoE/BoP than I expected. Surprised me, they deal with item exits differently. Another system I'm looking forward to seeing at scale with a full economy.
Truly bonerrific. And good to see you, Scott!

Hartsman_sl

shitlord
Sounds good but we need to see it for ourselves; when will beta keys be sent out?
One thing about being on the publishing end of this - It's a lot easier to have answers like this when you're the developer, which we aren't in this case.

When you're publishing a game that you're developing, you can talk about a date, because you know it's all in your team's power to get things done. When you're producing in a partnership, not the case. Working on schedules now, actually going to korea next week with the team that's leading that on our side, to meet up with their counterparts at XL, to nail down when the integrations will be complete.

Truly bonerrific. And good to see you, Scott!
Hey, thanks.
smile.png
It's genuinely surprised me how into it I've gotten. Expected to like and appreciate it, did not at all expect it to turn into my whole xmas break and then some.