Archeage

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
With both of you. Remit I've got a 4 and 2 year old that love doing that too.

When I want actiony/twitch combat I play a FPS or something , much prefer tab target/slower combat in mmo's.
Sounds like we are all in the same boat. I have a 6 and 2 year old. However, I do not get to play much until they go to bed but there are times where my 6 year old likes to watch, especially during these Fall/Winter months.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Scott can you guys pick up pantheon? Thanks! Id much rather see it with Trion than SoE.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
This leads me to a big question personally. Because you have various trees to level or whatever, can you customize yourself out of being useful? The only part that does not sit well with me in regards to having so much freedom in developing a class is you can create something that groups do not prefer.
Of course, if you want to, you can spec yourself out of usefulness. The devs cant code around stupid and certainly can't make every single combination viable. So, you have to want to do well, rather than strictly pursue a clear archetype...Ie, only take "bardlike" abilities. The thing, though, is that the game isn't really PvE centered enough to require specific combos. It's not like people are running damage meters to determine the best builds. The PvE just isn't refined enough for it to matter in any major scale. I could be wrong, I guess, but I very much doubt there will be hardcore "PvE guilds" that try to do stuff like world first, have perma groups established, trying to gear up. The gear style, the PvE, the progression, the crafting implementation are not designed for that type of a guild. I guess the easiest way to put it is that you don't see any "Hardcore World PvP" Guilds in WoW. Its not because there couldn't be one. Its just that the game isn't focused that way. Its a PvE raiding game for most guilds.

So, to bring it closer to your point. I think most guild applications would require that you have a "viable PvP build" and nothing more or less, with the exception that I could see guilds requiring that new recruits take at least one tree in healing for obvious reasons.

Additionally, I have never really found a point in this type of gameplay as most people end up researching "builds" and just copying the most effective ones. Thus, you wind up with 2-3 primary builds with minor variations so why not just make those 2-3 classes instead of creating over 120 variations?
When I was playing there was a "Stalker" (rough google translation) build that everyone used because you could basically 100-0 people that weren't that build in a stunlock. Not sure if the fixed it or not, but it was basically Warrior, Rogue, Archer or something like that. I may be off on specifics, but ArcheAge keeps the class distribution data on its Korean site. When I last looked 20% of high level players ran that build, which is 1 build out of like 120 total. The next highest was like 4%. I'd be shocked it if wasn't nerfed since then, though.

You will always have FOTM combos when you allow flexibility. THat isn't fatal at all for ArcheAge and isn't really something the devs should concern themselves too much about. As long as you have the LEVERS in place, just balance it as they come up. Now, if you dont put in the right levers, you can be screwed, but ArcheAge has plenty of levers to handle that stuff.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Oloh I'd prefer offensive / defensive targeting, but I'll take basic eq/wow targeting over action combat any day. That gets old after a few hours.

Too bad about the dungeons but maybe the open world stuff compensates.

@hartsman. Main issues lack of true raid dungeons and the pvp endgame focus. Sounds like it'll be enjoyable to level but not much for pve peeps to do at endgame. Need raid zones and sprawling endgame grouping dungeons.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Scott can you guys pick up pantheon? Thanks! Id much rather see it with Trion than SoE.
He might need a link to know what you're talking about.

AA looks interesting, I can just never get over the arcade look of the combat. PEW PEW PEW GIGGLE GIGGLE ZAP and mob is dead. Not my thing, I guess.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
AA looks interesting, I can just never get over the arcade look of the combat. PEW PEW PEW GIGGLE GIGGLE ZAP and mob is dead. Not my thing, I guess.
Not sure what you mean here. To me, ArcheAge is like the opposite of arcadey. Walk up to a mob, tab, nuke, life drain, knockback, lifedrain, crowstorm, loot.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Has there been any news on the Korean side when we might see new races added ?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Not sure what you mean here. To me, ArcheAge is like the opposite of arcadey. Walk up to a mob, tab, nuke, life drain, knockback, lifedrain, crowstorm, loot.
Yeah too bad about the dungeons and pvp only endgame or I'd really be looking forward to this game. Even with the silly class system.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
This game doesn't have raids (in the traditional PVE sense) does it? Not saying it's a make or break feature, but I recall reading that.
This is make or break for raiding pve guilds. I don't care about raiding / live with the odd world boss, however the people I usually play mmos with won't give archeage a second look without raid dungeons.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
How it looks. Haven't played it. Maybe everything I've seen was just easy content or it doesn't translate well to video, but it just looks like faceroll combat where you just blindly tab and kill shit while watching tv and it doesn't really matter what mob you're fighting because it'll all die really fast even in dungeons and groups as long as you sorta spam the right abilities in order. But with a lot of obnoxious anime sound effects and sparkles and everyone flipping around like it's a circ-de-sole audition.

I take it back, though, because even Golden Axe you had to slow down a bit, plan attack orders, strategically move, etc.

I guess I just don't need my characters going UH EEEH HA HUH constantly while looking like they're having a seizure instead of attacking something.

Everything else has me interested in the game, though.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
For me, this is pretty much the only game that I have any interest in coming out this year. The rest is all some shitty variation of WoW or shallow / safe plays relying on IP to sell boxes. This at least has some sand box elements to keep people occupied and the economic system seems to have tons of potential (think Eve).

Compared to my perfect MMO, this is a glass half full project but when compared to everything else out there and coming out its feels like a breath of fresh air and I'll buy it just for that.

My guess is they are going to try and launch as f2p here and are working all that out. Hopefully summer or certainly by year end. Summer might be a great time, kids are bored and out of school and TESO / WildStar will be 1 or 2 month wonders for most and they'll be looking for the next best thing.

Make sure you get the perma stun locks patched out, our market will not tolerate that stuff.

Good luck with the game Scott I know a lot of people are ready for something like this. I hope your hands aren't tied on changes for our market and we wait for patches 3-6 months from Korea.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So I gather you can actually form a guild of in game pirates. That won't hold me long term but could be amusing for a few months. RPP ahoy!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
So I gather you can actually form a guild of in game pirates. That won't hold me long term but could be amusing for a few months. RPP ahoy!
I can guarantee you there will be quite a few of us that normally play as "good" guys rolling as pirates on the side to rape and plunder as we see fit.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Well I had written this off before as possibly not happening here in the NA , as I was an avid Lineage2 player and even Aion a bit at launch of it. I like the Asian theme and love PVP so nice to see this is still happening here.

I will have to follow this now here, and apologies for asking the usual , but I see all over the page estimates for any even rough ETA as in quarter of the year for NA beta ? Any chance Trion accounts for Rift get a better shot too ? :p

Lastly Oloh how difficult is the setup for playing on the Korean servers atm ? I did the hoops back before there was an NA Lineage 2 to play , wondered if was still a process or not.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
For me, this is pretty much the only game that I have any interest in coming out this year. The rest is all some shitty variation of WoW or shallow / safe plays relying on IP to sell boxes. This at least has some sand box elements to keep people occupied and the economic system seems to have tons of potential (think Eve).

Compared to my perfect MMO, this is a glass half full project but when compared to everything else out there and coming out its feels like a breath of fresh air and I'll buy it just for that.

My guess is they are going to try and launch as f2p here and are working all that out. Hopefully summer or certainly by year end. Summer might be a great time, kids are bored and out of school and TESO / WildStar will be 1 or 2 month wonders for most and they'll be looking for the next best thing.

Make sure you get the perma stun locks patched out, our market will not tolerate that stuff.

Good luck with the game Scott I know a lot of people are ready for something like this. I hope your hands aren't tied on changes for our market and we wait for patches 3-6 months from Korea.
Yes Oloh's permastun sounds the opposite of fun. The pirate stuff is an amusing goal but endgame castle raiding is meh. So I don't see the long term interest for non pvp players.

FTP is horrible and doesn't work - go subscription.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Yes Oloh's permastun sounds the opposite of fun. The pirate stuff is an amusing goal but endgame castle raiding is meh. So I don't see the long term interest for non pvp players.

FTP is horrible and doesn't work - go subscription.
I greatly prefer sub. However F2P does work, even shitty F2P like Tor which is Scrooge Mc Ducking in $$$ despite its issues.

Game like this, especially PVP, you want to keep the barrier of entry low so the economy does well and there is a fresh group of new players or casuals logging in to replace those that burn out and working the casual game which fills the market and keeps the economy moving.

F2P also keeps the barrier of entry low to log in, so if you don't play for a week or two you really aren't getting screwed, you can still log in on the next weekend without a sub and dink around with your guild.

As for nothing to do but PVP, I disagree. Plenty, I mean plenty of people will play just for the housing / farming / social / economy aspects.

I think the open world bosses will be enough PVE in addition to the usual end game dungeon grind for loot. Frankly that might be a bit too much PVE for the PVP crowd but its a happy medium that should keep people playing.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Well I had written this off before as possibly not happening here in the NA , as I was an avid Lineage2 player and even Aion a bit at launch of it. I like the Asian theme and love PVP so nice to see this is still happening here.

I will have to follow this now here, and apologies for asking the usual , but I see all over the page estimates for any even rough ETA as in quarter of the year for NA beta ? Any chance Trion accounts for Rift get a better shot too ? :p

Lastly Oloh how difficult is the setup for playing on the Korean servers atm ? I did the hoops back before there was an NA Lineage 2 to play , wondered if was still a process or not.
They are in FnF for NA launch - Hartsman wouldn't give us an ETA for closed or open beta last night.