Archeage

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was talking to someone and it got around to land grabs and what to do about the initial rush. One idea was have a level requirement to place certain plans(starting with small farm and work up). Thus not having literally hundreds of level 5-10s buying a house plan and running off to plant it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hoping they have enough future beta events that I can figure out all that stuff. I think I ended up at lvl 19 after rerolling. Last thing I was able to do was the first trade quest, since the damn turmeric took forever to harvest (did it twice since I didn't realize how much each plant would yield). Being F2P made it all a giant pain in the ass as well.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
As with most of the recently developed games, the lemons are really in the end-game meta. I see a lot of these types of responses from the CB weekend sneak-peak. AA still has a ways to go to break the mold, it also has a looming fate of doom if it doesn't. (As seen in the asian lack of interest in the game over seas)

I'm sure we're all hoping Trion doesn't stank this up.
Not to say aa doesn't have endgame issues, but I don't think what is successful in Asia (and by virtue, what is unsuccessful) bears any relevance to us. If I'm not mistaken I think the top games on their list are pretty terrible by our metrics

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
At this point I'm fucking stoked if I look at a game and I see myself playing past the first month. AA fits that.

Hardly perfect, lots of obvious flaws that likely will never get fixed as I have serious doubts XL is going to keep 3 or 4 different forks of the game running with significant changes. Just like Tera, we'll get the same shit as Korea 3-6 months later.

Success or failure in Korea means nothing. First, much of the shit that caused them to leave has been reversed. Second their market doesn't resemble ours in any way what so ever. They play games very differently than here and if you spend anytime on a Korean server for any game you'd see that. So XL Game's success or failure doesn't paint any picture for our release here.

I have no delusions. This isn't a game I'll play for years and years but its a nice step in the open world sandbox direction and hopefully it does well enough to catch some eyes here so we can get out of this cycle of regurgitated shit. I'll likely get a few months at least out of it. Pretty damn good these days.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
At this point I'm fucking stoked if I look at a game and I see myself playing past the first month. AA fits that.

Hardly perfect, lots of obvious flaws that likely will never get fixed as I have serious doubts XL is going to keep 3 or 4 different forks of the game running with significant changes. Just like Tera, we'll get the same shit as Korea 3-6 months later.

Success or failure in Korea means nothing. First, much of the shit that caused them to leave has been reversed. Second their market doesn't resemble ours in any way what so ever. They play games very differently than here and if you spend anytime on a Korean server for any game you'd see that. So XL Game's success or failure doesn't paint any picture for our release here.

I have no delusions. This isn't a game I'll play for years and years but its a nice step in the open world sandbox direction and hopefully it does well enough to catch some eyes here so we can get out of this cycle of regurgitated shit. I'll likely get a few months at least out of it. Pretty damn good these days.
I agree with all of this.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get this. They are almost the same? They both are horrible. I enjoy both Wildstar and ArcheAge, but the grind hidden by a quest leveling system needs to die.
In my opinion Archeage leveling feels way lessgrindythan Wildstar's. In Archeage most quests are about killing five punks or picking up five punk scalps, rape the Punk Master and then you're done punks are dead and you didn't even spend 10 minutes and you can move on. In WS some quests have on the spot followups, making you feel like you're spending years on a zone / quest hub because of the back and forth circus. I played WS closed beta and never bothered going after lvl32 because leveling felt like a chore, especially once you figured the combat gameplay and got all your skills and you only have AMPs to deal with. In Archeage I think there are less quests, they give more XP and you don't feel like you'll need to hand in a goddamn million of quests just to gain another level.

I'm not saying Archeage leveling will be a quick and splendid, riveting experience for everyone, but on both Archeage forums / Reddit you can read about people coming from Wildstar or some other MMOs, they're like "oh God no, not anothergrindyasian MMO" and once they got around lvl 10 they're all happy pandas. Also the word "grind" can vary a lot from one people to another. Some people don't mind being a fantasy postman, spending their time delivering stuff to silly NPCs or becoming the Gengis Khan of boars by farming them 24/7. On the other end of the spectrum, I know a lot of people that got bored to death right after the second quest hub / couple of quests. But I don't think you can say Archeage is hiding a grind behind a quest leveling system, especially when from my experience, during this first CBT most of newcoming, casual people I ran across or know were already beyond lvl20-25 on Saturday morning.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I agree Ked, Korean markets aren't a benchmark for US success, my point was more directed towards the lack of focus on endgame content (namely seige mechanics and sandbox properties) that ended up driving it's asian region failure.

I hope Trion can break the XL choke-hold and innovate with this title. Popularity in sandbox mechanics would be a favorable change for the MMO market imo.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
GGonna have to optimize early game land grab and group transport stuff. I'll do some write ups on it this week most likely.
This is exactly what I was hoping would surface at some point. This something you'll share with your Rerolled bros?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I agree Ked, Korean markets aren't a benchmark for US success, my point was more directed towards the lack of focus on endgame content (namely seige mechanics and sandbox properties) that ended up driving it's asian region failure.

I hope Trion can break the XL choke-hold and innovate with this title. Popularity in sandbox mechanics would be a favorable change for the MMO market imo.
Agree 100%.

Not sure if they are going to adjust the land grab stuff or not. I'm thinking not since tying it to level would create some other issues. Will be interesting to watch for sure. They might bump the house cost up some which would put a kink in some of the faster ways to obtain land.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Agree 100%.

Not sure if they are going to adjust the land grab stuff or not. I'm thinking not since tying it to level would create some other issues. Will be interesting to watch for sure. They might bump the house cost up some which would put a kink in some of the faster ways to obtain land.
God I certainly hope they do bump up costs. In alpha (Pre patch) houses were a dime a dozen, sure one server saturation was there, but man I even had alts with houses. (Yeah cows made rent trivial, so that nerf is there.)

Edit: As I may have said before, I'd enjoy an alternate rule-set server with scheduled property destruction and ffa loot with the exception of banks and some very limited rare strongboxes. I'd enjoy it a bunch, with some moderation to curb abuse. **I'd likely pay Tuco and his road warriors protection money and shack up near that spot**

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
In my opinion Archeage leveling feels way lessgrindythan Wildstar's. In Archeage most quests are about killing five punks or picking up five punk scalps, rape the Punk Master and then you're done punks are dead and you didn't even spend 10 minutes and you can move on. In WS some quests have on the spot followups, making you feel like you're spending years on a zone / quest hub because of the back and forth circus. I played WS closed beta and never bothered going after lvl32 because leveling felt like a chore, especially once you figured the combat gameplay and got all your skills and you only have AMPs to deal with. In Archeage I think there are less quests, they give more XP and you don't feel like you'll need to hand in a goddamn million of quests just to gain another level.

I'm not saying Archeage leveling will be a quick and splendid, riveting experience for everyone, but on both Archeage forums / Reddit you can read about people coming from Wildstar or some other MMOs, they're like "oh God no, not anothergrindyasian MMO" and once they got around lvl 10 they're all happy pandas. Also the word "grind" can vary a lot from one people to another. Some people don't mind being a fantasy postman, spending their time delivering stuff to silly NPCs or becoming the Gengis Khan of boars by farming them 24/7. On the other end of the spectrum, I know a lot of people that got bored to death right after the second quest hub / couple of quests. But I don't think you can say Archeage is hiding a grind behind a quest leveling system, especially when from my experience, during this first CBT most of newcoming, casual people I ran across or know were already beyond lvl20-25 on Saturday morning.
I can understand thinking that at such a low level, but it's 100% false. AA is just as grindy if not more so than any other game especially Wildstar. You are required to over achieve on every single quest. If you do not, you will be in the same position that I was, grinding out the last level or so purely on the 100+ kill quests that give you honor points. At least in Wildstar (again, they both suck in the leveling department) you can skip those bullshit quests and still have way more than needed to go from area to area without having to grind levels.

Both are great games, but my god, why do game devs think players like these kinds of leveling experiences? At this point just give us camps and double the respawn / xp gained and let us group and grind, it's so much more enjoyable than solo grinding in the form of lame as fetch quests.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So are there plans for a Rerolled guild? Or is the new thing to just roll up with PRX (or roll the same faction as them)?

I've missed out on the last few MMO's (last one was FFXIV), so I'm not sure how this works.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The best system I could think of to curb property being permanently held is to have a system to auction property, then base weekly taxes around that number. Tweak the global tax rate based on the property turnover rate and boom, you've fixed the problem.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can understand thinking that at such a low level, but it's 100% false. AA is just as grindy if not more so than any other game especially Wildstar. You are required to over achieve on every single quest. If you do not, you will be in the same position that I was, grinding out the last level or so purely on the 100+ kill quests that give you honor points.
I didn't get to max level in Archeage so I won't comment on the mandatory overachieve thing but then again, during my leveling I overachieved most quests (oddly, there are some you can't overachieve) and it didn't felt like a grind (at least less than Wildstar). To me a grind is more about farming / doing something during weeks / months to obtain some item or make your character progress. Regarding Archeage I feel like I could take 5 vacation days and get to max level without hardcore poopsocking. Again, this is only my opinion, and I understand yours about quest based leveling with hubs.