Archive (2020)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Archive (2020)

Tagline: Death is not the end

Genre: Science Fiction

Director: Gavin Rothery

Cast: Rhona Mitra, Theo James, Toby Jones, Stacy Martin, Peter Ferdinando, Hans Peterson, Richard Glover, Jeremy Wheeler, Timea Maday Kinga

Release: 2020-07-01

Runtime: 100

Plot: 2038: George Almore is working on a true human-equivalent AI, and his latest prototype is almost ready. This sensitive phase is also the riskiest as he has a goal that must be hidden at all costs—being reunited with his dead wife.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This movie really surprised the shit out of me. I found it by accident while looking up Sci-Fi and was blown away by how good it was. It's a bit derivative of Ex Machina, but a solid 8/10 for me.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Theater or was it released somewhere?
the usual places, it would have been better imo if they got a better actor, but to be honest hes practically talking to boxes all the time...

also i'm pretty sure
the fat archive guy is the same guy from total recall that is supposed to get quaid out of the dream

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
damn i was wrong, he isn't, guess all fat white guys just look the same to me

spronk

FPS noob
This was alright. Much of it is pretty bland and boring, but the ending makes up for most of it.

yeah this is exactly it, the movie is 99% super slow and a tad frustrating but a decent ending. There's been a bazillion movies about this idea in the past few years like I am Mother but Ex Machina is the gold standard and this doesn't really come close. Still a decent watch for anyone interested in AI/robots but its clearly done with the ending in mind and the movie doesn't hold up super well once you see the ending, but its still interesting enough I suppose.

There was a cool Half life easter egg, they mentioned Black Mesa a few times. Also some Blade Runner / Cyberpunk vibes especially in the dining out scene.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I give this a 3 out of 5.

There's been a bazillion movies about this idea in the past few years like I am Mother but Ex Machina is the gold standard and this doesn't really come close.
I can agree with this statement. While it wasnt all in all bad, it wasnt great either. I would put this movie in the rear guard of all of the recent AI movies that have come out recently.

the usual places, it would have been better imo if they got a better actor, but to be honest hes practically talking to boxes all the time...

also i'm pretty sure
the fat archive guy is the same guy from total recall that is supposed to get quaid out of the dream
That is Toby Jones. You have seen him such films as Capt. America 1, The Mist, Atomic Blonde.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just finished this. I prefer it to Ex Machina! Nice little ending.

I also really liked the robot suiciding. Reminds me of songs by Grandaddy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Just finished this. I prefer it to Ex Machina! Nice little ending.

I also really liked the robot suiciding. Reminds me of songs by Grandaddy.
robot suicide is weird considering they said that 02 (?) is pre-teen age.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
robot suicide is weird considering they said that 02 (?) is pre-teen age.
Nah, they said 15-16 or so. I thought, anyway. That's prime suicidal girl age.

I liked the movie ok, but I'm not sure it was good enough to be nothing but a lead up to the "gotcha!" ending. Which, after a certain point near halfway, you can already see coming.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The philosophical aspects of this movie had me in my head the whole time. Would I be cool to have my consciousness trapped in a box, even if just to close out on any unresolved issues before I really and truly "fade out"? Even if I wasn't able to realize the reality of it. Once I'm dead, extending my consciousness feels like a form of torture. Let the dead lie.

This movie was boring. Like Moon boring. But the fact that it was relatively unknown, not talked about, really helped the end of it feel like it was a satisfying watch. But like The Usual Suspects or The Ring, it's not really rewatchable.

It's a perfect movie to RENT.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database