Archive 81

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I mean 1/2 the time when they show her holding the fucking camera replaying the "real" scene when it happened, in which he is looking at the restored video of, shes fucking holding it facing the ground and in all sorts of directions that would record jack and shit, lool.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Very interesting show.

Amazing sound design and the cinematography for the first 4 episodes kept in pace too. I feel like they kinda got lazy after the 4th though, some exposition dumps and info dumps that could have been done through work in other ways keeping more of the nuance tones but overall a great experience.

Really enjoyed the main actor, I think he played a very good detective role, some of the scenes felt a tad forced, like there is anger but no threat of force from him.

Totally looking forward to seeing what they do with a season 2 if it comes. So many angles to explore.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed the show. A nice Cult Movie with a few elements of "the Ring" with some Blair Witch Project(Which they even self referenced) mixed in with Stranger Things and Dark(Time travel). While I did enjoy it enough, it did not grab me as much as Dark did. To be fair, Dark was 3 seasons and told the full story. This might still have story left to it. I would continue with the story should they choose to explain why the main actor ended up back in time as opposed to the present.

Not reading this thread yet since I'm still watching...but just wanted to ask, is it me or does Melody have an asymetrical face? Something is bothering me.
I was trying to figure out why this actress was triggering my brain through the first couple of episodes. Then it hit me pretty hard. It is not her looks. It is her voice. It is identical too..
1643294328844.png

Alicia Vikander

Last edited:

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I think Melody's part should have been straight blair witch, not switching between real and blair witch.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finished it. Really good show, could have used a continuity editor (if there is such a thing for shows). If I were Dan, my first thought after realizing the situation would have been: Welp, time to get rich.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Finished it. Really good show, could have used a continuity editor (if there is such a thing for shows). If I were Dan, my first thought after realizing the situation would have been: Welp, time to get rich.

Assuming his position, nothing he knows would matter.

The world he is in isn't an "Alternate reality" as far as we were made aware, it's a "Dream" or fiction of sorts. Old lady witch basically said as much, which is why Dan got stuck in the first place. The time and locations in that world are all a manifestation of the being there. The main question I had were, are the people there trying to fuck with who is staying? Like why stop people from leaving without leaving yourself?

Honestly i think this show does well to form a new product for the people of the stranger things era. I look forward to the future of this show but I think some real acting and character growth will have to happen in the main cast. I think Dan plays a pretty decent, whatever he is, but i feel like the growth that we were starting to see got cut really short in the show as they switched gears from general purpose persona to detective.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Over the last couple years most series I “watch” are just playing in the background while I sit at my desk doing what I do.

However with Archive 81 I actually watched the series and even paused it when I had to focus on something else.

It has its faults, but it did capture my full attention unlike Peacemaker, Book of Boba etc. The only other show that has done this for me is Succession which I thought was dope as fuck.

Ok I’m done jerking this show off. Give it a watch and judge for yourself.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Assuming his position, nothing he knows would matter.

The world he is in isn't an "Alternate reality" as far as we were made aware, it's a "Dream" or fiction of sorts. Old lady witch basically said as much, which is why Dan got stuck in the first place. The time and locations in that world are all a manifestation of the being there. The main question I had were, are the people there trying to fuck with who is staying? Like why stop people from leaving without leaving yourself?

Honestly i think this show does well to form a new product for the people of the stranger things era. I look forward to the future of this show but I think some real acting and character growth will have to happen in the main cast. I think Dan plays a pretty decent, whatever he is, but i feel like the growth that we were starting to see got cut really short in the show as they switched gears from general purpose persona to detective.

My read on the end was that he actually went back to 1994. All the visual cues that indicate being in the alternate dimension were completely gone. No haze, no sparkles in the air, nothing. Is there something I missed that indicates otherwise?

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Amazing sound design and the cinematography for the first 4 episodes kept in pace too. I feel like they kinda got lazy after the 4th though, some exposition dumps and info dumps that could have been done through work in other ways keeping more of the nuance tones but overall a great experience.
I finished it today.

I agree the most with your statement. The discordant music and the lighting really made the mood for the show, and they kinda eased up in the second half. Maybe it was on purpose as the tone of the show shifted a bit, I dunno, but the first couple of episodes were the best. The way the music purposely set you on edge reminded me how the score for Sicario did the same.

I thought the last 2 episodes were the weakest and the ending felt rushed, but all in all it was really enjoyable.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am going to 2nd the notion that the main character is actually in 1994. I do not think he is trapped inside the dimension.

I also thought about the knowledge a person would have (I can loan you 50k Mr. Zuckerberg) if able to go back to that time. Would you try to stop the twin towers from going down?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im sure you could make tons of moneys, but stopping WTC from coming down? You would have a hard time convincing anyone.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I finished it today.

I agree the most with your statement. The discordant music and the lighting really made the mood for the show, and they kinda eased up in the second half. Maybe it was on purpose as the tone of the show shifted a bit, I dunno, but the first couple of episodes were the best. The way the music purposely set you on edge reminded me how the score for Sicario did the same.

I thought the last 2 episodes were the weakest and the ending felt rushed, but all in all it was really enjoyable.

The unfortunate reality is I think EVERY show I've watched in recent memory suffers from this "Can't End" issue.

The endings all seem rushed OR another issue that spoils it is that you KNOW the ending is coming so the impact is lessened.

---

I don't know why y'all aren't putting things in spoiler tags but whatever, guess I won't either.

I don't think he's in another time, the only indication of time that we got was from the old lady saying that time flows differently in the other / His world and that the main character needs to be aware and focused on his goal. A reason I think he is seeing a world of the past is because I think the being takes what people knew of the world and applies it to the manipulation that he causes other to experience. The strange part is, the creature / god doesn't really seem super powerful. Even in it's own world it is simply living behind the scenes (Still hiding in mirrors / windows). Maybe it sustains itself through the memories of people but that statement seems odd given the amount of blood given to it. Why would you give blood to a being that requires imagination / thought?

Seems like brains would be the obvious answer, which would up the WTF factor a TON. Imagine, you have the blood of the witch to turn on the statue, then you'd have a person in the dead center of the room, brain exposed akin to some silence of the lambs scene, allowing themselves to become the portal. When the portal is opened, the person just screams and then their head violently explodes as the portal opens and their mind is overwhelmed.

There are other questions that I hope expanding on the world will solve because we saw like what, 2 minutes of him in that hospital room? Given what we know, that the being likes memory / reality manipulation, it seems more likely that we have just seen the first room of the manipulation he will experience.

Other questions I have:

why is the older brother looking for the younger brother?

He hints at money / science / it's his brother but it seemed pretty glossed over from a dialogue point of view.​

Why did the younger brother pull the girl through the portal but LEAVE the black dude?

All the discussion that the brother, the voss chick, everyone seems to have is one of adoration of this being on the other side. A being that, through the shows perspective that it gives us, seems pretty powerless in a PHYSICALITY sense, but very adept at creating false memories / realities. They want other people to come to love this being and what it can do, they want the being to roam the earth. Seems contrary to running from that world unless you are trying to spread his message. A message that as been known already for decades through cult following and people STILL don't believe it.​

Did the younger brother make it through the portal to a random exit location?

That would be super odd if it did happen since no precedent has been established that you come out ANYWHERE, let alone that you CAN come out. So if the dude randomly appeared in the world (maybe possessed the elder brother) it would pave the way for a lot of ret-con type story.​

Why was the main character SO ready and willing to accept his role as visionary / seer of the dead?

Nothing told us that he was ready and willing to accept this role, no rational person would, even if they experienced a trauma. I hope this isn't lazy story writing and that maybe some of the 1 liners dropped around the show paint a cleaner picture when played out over several seasons. If they do more than 1 season, you KNOW that younger black girl's character (the "medium") is gunna play a major role.​

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Time was a main feature of the story. It's why Dan saw his interactions with Melody in their "dream" states also occur in Melody's video. He was "attuned" to Melody in space and time or some such. Much more so than just "time flows differently in his world".

Basically we have no idea what the actual situation is because the writers never even attempted to explain it.

He wasnt ready or willing to accept his role either. He was dragged in by his own curiosity because he saw his dog and then his father in pictures and the videos. And he needed to know what the connection was. This was a major plot point.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
why is the older brother looking for the younger brother?

He hints at money / science / it's his brother but it seemed pretty glossed over from a dialogue point of view.​
The older brother (Virgil) never stated he was looking for "Samuel"/his brother. As a matter of fact, when Dan tells Virgil that his brother is in the Otherworld with Melody, Virgil says YGWYFD and that is where Samuel belongs. IIRC though, before finding out Samuel was in the Otherworld, Virgil was under the assumption that his brother died in the Visser fire and he was looking for closure/evidence/revenge.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Also, it is never expanded on who the brother is looking for. The guy who previously lived at the compound was talking about how he has all these blood vials and how his DNA ancestry company was just a front for gathering personal data aiming at finding someone. Was it Melody or a Baldung? His brother? or someone else?

Hopefully they will know when to wrap up the story and not try to milk it. Time travel is definitely shaky ground when doing a story, it very easily muck things up.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Why did the younger brother pull the girl through the portal but LEAVE the black dude?

All the discussion that the brother, the voss chick, everyone seems to have is one of adoration of this being on the other side. A being that, through the shows perspective that it gives us, seems pretty powerless in a PHYSICALITY sense, but very adept at creating false memories / realities. They want other people to come to love this being and what it can do, they want the being to roam the earth. Seems contrary to running from that world unless you are trying to spread his message. A message that as been known already for decades through cult following and people STILL don't believe it.​

Samuel wants to get the demon into the real world.

Speculation, but Samuel probably wants to exit in 1994, not 2021. In 1994 he's a wealthy cult leader with a comet, a secret lair and a blood sacrifice - in 2021 he's got jack shit.

• 1Worf

Caliane

"The circle" was an anthology series.

We never got a clear answer to what LMG guy was really up to. I suspect the idea is anthology.
Dan may have literally be sent back in time. Himself be a partner/founder of LMG. who, archive and investigate supernatural shit. so future seasons, may be "unrelated stories", until eventually LMG intersects with them, as they come in an clean up/investigate.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
"The circle" was an anthology series.

We never got a clear answer to what LMG guy was really up to. I suspect the idea is anthology.
Dan may have literally be sent back in time. Himself be a partner/founder of LMG. who, archive and investigate supernatural shit. so future seasons, may be "unrelated stories", until eventually LMG intersects with them, as they come in an clean up/investigate.
That actually makes a lot of sense as when Mark digs through what LMG does, it's invested in all sorts of shit. Would make sense if Dan just invested a bit into a lot of stuff to build wealth instead of a just into one thing. Makes people ask less questions too and just look like a savvy business investor.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Very interesting show.

Really enjoyed the main actor, I think he played a very good detective role, some of the scenes felt a tad forced, like there is anger but no threat of force from him.

Totally looking forward to seeing what they do with a season 2 if it comes. So many angles to explore.
Sound design was top notch in this. There were so many bizarre ambient sounds included in the score and just thrown in from time to time that sound almost identical to weird house sounds or something that people would find to be unsettling in normal everyday life that I often found myself lifting off one ear of my headphones to see if these noises were coming from the show or outside/inside my house. A wonderfully creepy detail that was very well executed.

There's a short series on Shudder called Deadwax that actually shares a lot of similarities with this and also does its sound design quite well. It's interesting to get to see people put a lot more thought into horror shows and explore how important sound is in creating the atmosphere.

• 1Like