Are we fucked as a species?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yup. And we have them but they are INCREDIBLY innefficiant in actually cooling down a space. They mainly just introduce humidity into the dry climate and blow that around. They are better than nothing, but I would rather live in a solid adobe home with no swamp cooler than a modern construction home with one. The difference is staggering.
Ah, shows what I know. I had the impression that they were awesome climate control in arid regions. Does it raise humidity to the point that mold and mildew is a concern? Seems counterproductive.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Ah, shows what I know. I had the impression that they were awesome climate control in arid regions. Does it raise humidity to the point that mold and mildew is a concern? Seems counterproductive.
Not even close. Our family home is just under 8,000ft in elevation. Northern New Mexico is DRY. Like, get out of a shower, no towel, walk outside and in about a minute or so your body is dry and 5 minutes after that your hair is about the same as a good towel dry. The climate just drinks all the moisture around it.

Swamp coolers do work, but only really in the path of the airflow. I would come inside and stand in front of it for a few minutes and it felt great. Then you realize it's only SLIGHTLY cooler air that is making your face wet.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If humanity died oft, we would leave quite a bit of infrastructure, that a new burgeoning species would make use of, to adapt and evolve along intelligent lines quickly.
Basic systems of bioforming. we evolved in an environment, that was created by prior life. so too, have we created an environment beneficial to intelligent life. Obviously things like advanced mechanics, houses, etc would deteriorate. but, reservoirs, roads, dumps, etc would last quite a while, and spurn faster develoment of the next species.

Trash pandas would likely evolve intelligence very quickly in a world of dead humans, but left over human civilizations.

It takes selective pressure for intelligence to evolve. Anything that makes life easier for a species will actually make it HARDER for intelligence to develop.

This sort of idea is why, say, cockroaches will never be an intelligent species, even post-apocalypse. The entire species can survive anything, thereby making them pretty much an evolutionary dead end.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
did you vote in the last election? ;)

Nope, didn’t pay attention to any of that. I didn’t realize it’s acceptable for a moderator to act that way, let alone in the grown up forum. But, you know, whatever, I’ll find the next iteration of the forums through google once again.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Nope, didn’t pay attention to any of that. I didn’t realize it’s acceptable for a moderator to act that way, let alone in the grown up forum. But, you know, whatever, I’ll find the next iteration of the forums through google once again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

AD96D6E4-0CAC-45B9-BAB2-EDF780BFFEF5.gif