Are we fucked as a species?

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
If man were meant to fly, He would have given us wings...

I get the allegory, but this is magnitudes larger than the concept of mechanical technology.

Simply put, we don't have the time when the world is focused on other things. We're short sighted as a species and that truly will be what ends us imo.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I get the allegory, but this is magnitudes larger than the concept of mechanical technology.
The greatest achievement of humanity is not its works of art, science, or technology, but the recognition of its own dysfunction - Don Delillo

I think you're just morbid. Read the link I posted above.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yes and no. It is possible for an aggressive and successful species to choke itself out over time. We certainly qualify as both. I mean, Christ imagine what happens in Africa once we stop dumping dumptrucks full of food there. And if you think the west is immune to that mentality, then look no further than the last couple floods when some ghetto rats could not get hot pockets from the local grocer. We don't have a lot of fault tolerance on our logistics, as a society. We can prop up one metropolitan area, but two or three cities get fucked out of their availability to get fed and watch what happens. I mean, Egypt literally got toppled because the price of bread went up 20% and those people are somewhat used to hardship, comparatively.
The outcomes you describe are bad for the individuals living in those regions (Africa and inner cities), but not even a little bit of a problem for the species. One could even argue theyre good for the species. Its hard to imagine any argument theyre bad for the species. All species face selection and localized population crashes. Large and widely distributed populations mean those events do little if any damage to the species as a whole.

If we die out as a species it is because we didnt invest enough in colonizing other planets. That is literally the biggest threat to our species. And we have plenty of time to fix it.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The end of the current civilization, with 95%+ of the people dying, could be, maybe in a global nuclear war. The end of Homo Sapiens ? Very unlikely, 100 of them alive somewhere in a place that could just barely sustain life and we'd be back settling all over the earth in a blink of an eye (20k years ?)

Nuttin

Silver Squire
"Unprecedented" on what time scale? Your hubris is showing.

The Swedish Metrological and Hydrological Institute (SMHI) started to measure temperatures over 260 years ago, they say that it has not been this warm ever in july since they started measuring it, hubris? No, I would like to call it a concern, is it ok for you, that I call it that?

And I am not trolling by the way, although I might be in some small way, suffering from a minor heat stroke, got these deep thoughts, fucking heat at home is killing me as the sun is directly on my house and shines on it until the sun sets, which coincidentally was one of the reasons we bought the fucker to start with, solar power is the shit, the future, having a house where the sun is on it, almost from any directions on the sky is a big plus, only thing I need to acquire is the solar discs or whatever its called.

The question is what comes first, do we as a species manage to kill off ourselves first or do we manage to kill off the entire planet?

There are something we and many other species need on this planet to survive and that is the ozone layer, air, water and food.

These are key elements for our survival on this planet, I do not need to go in on what we are doing to the 3 first mentioned, we all know that and perhaps that is also why Michael Burry who after the housing bubble burst in 2008, first invested in water but then moved on to food - perhaps he has realized that once the fact that the water is in short supply, money wont mean anything anymore as then the essence of our fucked up species will show its true face, fighting over resources is being done now and has been done in the past - so there is nothing new in that statement, I mean, once the poles has melted and that precious freshwater has been mixed up with all the shit we have put into the sea and never really bothered, until recently to take a look at and try in a minor scale to remove, we will be faced with an entirely unique situation, I for one, don't think that we will be able to rise to that occasion, not when race, color of skin and religion is what truly matters, hell no, it's much easier to drop a couple of well placed bombs that are in abundance over the unwanted and problem solved for some generations, ain't it ?

And once that happens, because it will, there can be only one ending.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The Swedish Metrological and Hydrological Institute (SMHI) started to measure temperatures over 260 years ago, they say that it has not been this warm ever in july since they started measuring it, hubris? No, I would like to call it a concern, is it ok for you, that I call it that?

And I am not trolling by the way, although I might be in some small way, suffering from a minor heat stroke, got these deep thoughts, fucking heat at home is killing me as the sun is directly on my house and shines on it until the sun sets, which coincidentally was one of the reasons we bought the fucker to start with, solar power is the shit, the future, having a house where the sun is on it, almost from any directions on the sky is a big plus, only thing I need to acquire is the solar discs or whatever its called.

The question is what comes first, do we as a species manage to kill off ourselves first or do we manage to kill off the entire planet?

There are something we and many other species need on this planet to survive and that is the ozone layer, air, water and food.

These are key elements for our survival on this planet, I do not need to go in on what we are doing to the 3 first mentioned, we all know that and perhaps that is also why Michael Burry who after the housing bubble burst in 2008, first invested in water but then moved on to food - perhaps he has realized that once the fact that the water is in short supply, money wont mean anything anymore as then the essence of our fucked up species will show its true face, fighting over resources is being done now and has been done in the past - so there is nothing new in that statement, I mean, once the poles has melted and that precious freshwater has been mixed up with all the shit we have put into the sea and never really bothered, until recently to take a look at and try in a minor scale to remove, we will be faced with an entirely unique situation, I for one, don't think that we will be able to rise to that occasion, not when race, color of skin and religion is what truly matters, hell no, it's much easier to drop a couple of well placed bombs that are in abundance over the unwanted and problem solved for some generations, ain't it ?

Well that's mostly feels, so don't know what to answer. From a french point of view : the quality of water, air and food have factually and continualy improved over the last 50 years. I guess it's the same pretty much everywhere else in the developped world. So you're right : a few well targetted bombs (on china) and a few walls (around Africa) and we're safe, the rest of the world is sustainable. That being said, China will probably find a way, they seem to be in the same state of mind we were in the 70's, so it's probably slowly going to improve.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Are you claiming there are no entry level positions available?

Edit to say, even if there are not how does this finish us as a species? I think it's never been easier to gain knowledge and skills than it is right now.

Are you claiming there are millions of entry level positions available?

You didn't say you couldn't imagine the future economy but clearly you can't.

I don’t give a shit, you brought it up, when you pull your head out your ass maybe you can imagine sticking it back up there. Have a nice day dumbass.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don’t give a shit, you brought it up, when you pull your head out your ass maybe you can imagine sticking it back up there. Have a nice day dumbass.

Solid point.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Lately, perhaps triggered by the unprecedented heatwave that has hit many countries worldwide, I don't know, intense heat does something to the mind of most.

Look faggot, this is a computer simulation. Just relax and enjoy it while it lasts.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We've never been better as a species and I've never been better as an individual. If you think about this topic often, it's probably just your life that sucks and you're projecting it out onto our species as a whole. Do some good drugs and get laid. We aight, man.

• 6Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'll be dead within a few hours to 10-20 years. No kids so don't care past that.

I'm guessing at some point there will be "something" that reduces population in quantities more than just a few. Don't know if it's a natural disaster like a massive volcano going off or some biological deal but at some point "something". Pretty specific huh?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

260 years, less than a blink of an eye...

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Are we fucked? Ultimately yes, by the heat death of the universe.

Till then? I'm optimistic.

This isn't something that I spend a lot of time thinking about, and isn't at all rational, but I like to think that we're part of a system created by a sentient prime mover of some kind that wants to see what kind of shenanigans we come up with. So we've got an ideal universe with all kinds of technical possibilities enabled by physical properties (chemistry, nuclear, +++).

So when I hear about problems like AI convergence, grey goo, nuclear wasteland, resource depletion, global warming, antibiotic resistant diseases etc etc I casually disregard it. It's not that I think we don't have to worry, it's that I think we'll be able to overcome anything put in front of us.

Again, it's not a rational belief, but when we're talking about unforeseen issues like these, what is? Till then I'm doing my part by making killer robots.
All of this.

Humans are problem solvers, that's how we got here. There will be hills and valleys along the way, which is inevitable in any population of organisms, but anything short of an asteroid strike and humanity will see the other side of it.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
All of this.

Humans are problem solvers, that's how we got here. There will be hills and valleys along the way, which is inevitable in any population of organisms, but anything short of an asteroid strike and humanity will see the other side of it.

Even if humanity dies off the universe will keep on kicking. The earth may have another intelligent species or two to poop out before it gets eaten by the sun as well.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Even if humanity dies off the universe will keep on kicking. The earth may have another intelligent species or two to poop out before it gets eaten by the sun as well.
Isn’t the estimate on sun eating like 3b years? Supposedly only took us 300m-ish to go from ground squirrels to humans I think? Lots of opportunity for intelligent life to spring back up before earth gets borged by sol.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
That's assuming intelligent life isn't incredibly rare.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Wouldn't put the heat messing up your sleep out of your head just yet, a lack of good quality sleep does strange things to a brain.

I'm in the Netherlands and we've been having that same heat wave, many days in a row of 35 degrees C (that's 95 F for muricans) and I'm guessing Sweden has even lower rates of residential air conditioning than we do. Most northern European houses are built to retain heat so it's really hard to get them to cool down once they heat up, even a few colder days won't get rid of the heat once it has built up in the structure.

I still don't have whole house AC but just getting a wall unit for my bedroom so I can actually sleep at night has been well worth the investment. Yea it's probably still a luxury for Northern Europe, but solid sleep is worth a lot to me.