Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I started losing weight about 6 weeks ago. I hit my initial goal of sub-200 lbs (from 225) which is the first time I've been that low since I got married 7 years ago. I went on a full-out keto diet and love it.

I'm doing some basic body-weight exercises. Squats, pushups, pullups. I want to buy some dumbells for a very basic home gym, but told myself I need to prove I'll actually continue so I want to hit 50 consecutive pushups first (I'm at 35 as of yesterday).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I started losing weight about 6 weeks ago. I hit my initial goal of sub-200 lbs (from 225) which is the first time I've been that low since I got married 7 years ago. I went on a full-out keto diet and love it.

I'm doing some basic body-weight exercises. Squats, pushups, pullups. I want to buy some dumbells for a very basic home gym, but told myself I need to prove I'll actually continue so I want to hit 50 consecutive pushups first (I'm at 35 as of yesterday).

Yep, keto is like the only thing that ever worked for me long term, and trust me ive tried it all over the years. Went from 270ish down to 195 and holding steady for the better part of 3 yrs now. Feel great, my blood numbers continue to improve year to year as well. The doctor I go to was astonished with how quickly i turned all that shit around. Good for you tucbro.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
I heard being in ketosis while losing weight also helps reduce skin elasticity too.

I never really felt "healthy" while doing keto tho. then again 80% of my diet was bacon and eggs so I probo coulda been doin it better

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I heard being in ketosis while losing weight also helps reduce skin elasticity too.

I never really felt "healthy" while doing keto tho. then again 80% of my diet was bacon and eggs so I probo coulda been doin it better
It was weird, I felt almost super-human the first month of keto, where I was faster, had a better memory, was super alert etc. Now I feel "normal" or maybe my sense of vitality has just normalized.

I was never on the typical keto macros though, I always had much, much more protein.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Usually people got through a keto flu the first few weeks until your body gets used to the diet.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider

One set of 50 push-ups?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One set of 50 push-ups?
Yes.

Got my 50 push ups last night. Now that I've been ramping up the volume of exercises I've been doing I'm having pain in my left shoulder, which is what happened the last time I started lifting. I also have some pain/weakness/something in my left knee that is preventing me from doing one-legged body-squats.

Going to go to the doctor next week to get a referral to some PT, hopefully they can help me figure out some way to not be a bitch.

My weight loss also completely stopped and my weight is hovering around 202lbs. I'm pretty sure I'm at a caloric deficit and am still on keto, but I must be doing something wrong. I might be gaining muscle mass since I've been increasing my lifting volume, but I also am not appearing to lose any body-fat. I bought a food scale to get a little more accurate with my diet.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Either you're allowing your shoulder blade to roll forward during pressing movements, or you have an impingement. My assumption is the former because if it were the latter you'd be in pain well before hitting 50 pushups.

You probably also have weak rotator cuffs. Very typical stuff. A PT should be able to help you within the first session.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dallas McCarver dead at 26. I listened to the 911 call, the first thing out of his roommate's mouth (who is also a professional BB) was that it was the slin. Maybe he mistimed it, or took too much, and went into a diabetic coma?

Long story short, don't fuck with PED's too hard. A study showed that 1/3 of males in the gym are fucking with PED's in the UK.

This guy was 310 pounds ripped.
17816963_dallas-mccarvers-young-death-shocks_1863b7be_m.jpg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yes.

I might be gaining muscle mass since I've been increasing my lifting volume, but I also am not appearing to lose any body-fat. I bought a food scale to get a little more accurate with my diet.

you are not building muscle by doing body weight squats and push ups lol, especially not if you're in a calorie deficit

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It certainly will if he's starting from zero. Everyone starts somewhere.

noob gains are real, but he's dropped 25lbs by cutting out carbs and thus entering a calorie deficit. Now his weight loss has stalled, probably because having lost 25lbs he needs to reduce his calorie intake to match his new TDEE

Sure, it's possible that his routine of lol exercises has added some muscle but it's extremely unlikely.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
you are not building muscle by doing body weight squats and push ups lol, especially not if you're in a calorie deficit
Not an argument i give a shit about but in going from being able to do five pushups to fifty my chest is much more muscular. Same with other major muscle groups.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Not an argument i give a shit about but in going from being able to do five pushups to fifty my chest is much more muscular. Same with other major muscle groups.

You've lost 25lbs which means your muscles have less fat surrounding them, hence they are more visible

You've got more efficient and stronger in certain exercises

The idea that your weight loss has stalled because of muscle growth is laughable, here's why.

Let's say you're eating at a conservative calorie deficit to lose 1lb a week, for your scale weight not to change would mean that you're gaining 1lb of week of muscle.

Nope that isn't happening, not at a calorie deficit and not on body weight exercises.

If you want too keep losing weight then do 10k steps a day, do a proper weights program and/or do some high intensity cardio (a body weight routine would work if you reduce the rest periods and do 4-5 moves in quick succession)

Eat 10-12 calories per lb of body weight

PS

Thanks for the inspiration for the next verse of Tuco's Lament rofl

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You've lost 25lbs which means your muscles have less fat surrounding them, hence they are more visible

You've got more efficient and stronger in certain exercises

The idea that your weight loss has stalled because of muscle growth is laughable, here's why.

Let's say you're eating at a conservative calorie deficit to lose 1lb a week, for your scale weight not to change would mean that you're gaining 1lb of week of muscle.

Nope that isn't happening, not at a calorie deficit and not on body weight exercises.

If you want too keep losing weight then do 10k steps a day, do a proper weights program and/or do some high intensity cardio (a body weight routine would work if you reduce the rest periods and do 4-5 moves in quick succession)

PS

Thanks for the inspiration for the next verse of Tuco's Lament rofl
The other thing that is possible is my CNS snapped back into shape following actually using those muscles. I noticed a huge difference in the amount of mass in my latissimus dorsi that was able to be flexed after my first pullup workout. I have no idea if that is ridiculous and don't really care.

I bought a food scale and am working the myfitnesspal machine again. I'm aiming for a 600c deficit. (It says I should eat 2050, so I'm aiming for roughly 1500 or whatever, idgaf). It's pretty easy with a high protein, no carb diet. I figure it'll take a month at least to resolve my shoulder and knee issues, and I can drop another 5lbs of fat in the mean time before I start a nice winter bulk.

I can't wait for those amazing caloric deficit muscle gains I'm going to get from doing 50 rep pushups every day

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What do you think "You've got more efficient and stronger in certain exercises" meant?
A bunch of ossoi bullshit. If you want to have a dumb argument over fitness stuff youll have to find someone else to dance with bro.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
A bunch of ossoi bullshit. If you want to have a dumb argument over fitness stuff youll have to find someone else to dance with bro.

Who here is arguing?

That looks like someone trying to help you to me