Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Not an argument i give a shit about but in going from being able to do five pushups to fifty my chest is much more muscular. Same with other major muscle groups.

This is silly, if your a fat guy who doesn't work out doing any bodyweight exercise while on a deficient will still build muscle and reduce fat (up to a point). Eventually once you get close to your target body weight you'll want to start using weights, doing hiit and decrease your deficit to maybe 1-200 calories and start a focus on building muscle and hitting a body fat % goal.

The biggest hurdle for an out of shape guy putting on the pounds is to just get moving, so props.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is silly, if your a fat guy who doesn't work out doing any bodyweight exercise while on a deficient will still build muscle and reduce fat (up to a point). Eventually once you get close to your target body weight you'll want to start using weights, doing hiit and decrease your deficit to maybe 1-200 calories and start a focus on building muscle and hitting a body fat % goal.

The biggest hurdle for an out of shape guy putting on the points is to just get moving, so props.
I agree and thanks.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Tuco I don't think you understand. You aren't stronger, you've just tricked your muscles into thinking you are.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco I don't think you understand. You aren't stronger, you've just tricked your muscles into thinking you are.
RL pic of my bicep:
2101305.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This (bench + 200lbs dumbbells) was delivered yesterday:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CR4XFIK/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087T8UOE

I'm pretty happy with it. I'm hoping I can organize a routine that has minimal changing of dumbbell weights, which is fairly time consuming. I'm going to PT for a long-time shoulder issue that I'm hoping will resolve in about a month, then I'll probably start a real strength training program. Until then I'm going to just try and train different moves and get comfortable with them at relatively low weight. I'm also still running at about a 500-700 caloric deficit so I only get Eddie Murphy gainz.

When I start strength training in October I'm leaning toward doing something like:
Workout Programs
iLhAJBl.png

I'm down to 196lbs, did 5x5 no-bullshit pullups yesterday for the first time and feel pretty good.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I see. Yeah, take it slow. Your joints will thank you for it later. You can definitely add isolation work on top of those compounds btw.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
This is probably a silly question, but bear with me.

I have a recurring hernia (2nd time now). It's asymptomatic, as it was the first time. Haven't gone for the operation yet but it'll happen sometime in the near future. I have some weights at home and I do some lifting, but I'm assuming that once you have a hernia, lifting too much/badly is pretty much always going to be a bad idea. I'll ask my doctor, of course, but I imagine all I'll get from that is an eye roll and a virtual pat on the head.

Any real experience someone can offer? I'm assuming it'll be along the lines of "if you're doing it right, it shouldn't be an issue", but I figure someone here will know what's up.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have 0 experience with hernias, but off the top of my I head, I wouldn't lift at all with a hernia. After surgery, go to physical therapy and work with them and do the exercises provided. At minimum, I'd say you should be completely avoiding any muscles near/around the herniation until then.

Do you need to lift while your injured anyway? Whats the purpose?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Nope, certainly not lifting anything before the repair is done, and not for a while after, either.

As to the purpose, I do it for exercise. But, again, not before the repair -- and perhaps not at all, depending on the answer I get from the doctor(s). I've been lucky and this has been painless/asymptomatic both times, but who knows what could happen. It's not like any hernia repair is ever perfect.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Now that I'm using weights again im reminded how soft my programmer/ gamer hands are. Doing deadlifts with even 60lbs dumbells put imprints in my hands. Theyll callous up over time, but i couldnt find any strats on how to speed up the process other than farmer walks and not bring a bitch.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This (bench + 200lbs dumbbells) was delivered yesterday:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CR4XFIK/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087T8UOE

I'm pretty happy with it. I'm hoping I can organize a routine that has minimal changing of dumbbell weights, which is fairly time consuming. I'm going to PT for a long-time shoulder issue that I'm hoping will resolve in about a month, then I'll probably start a real strength training program. Until then I'm going to just try and train different moves and get comfortable with them at relatively low weight. I'm also still running at about a 500-700 caloric deficit so I only get Eddie Murphy gainz.

When I start strength training in October I'm leaning toward doing something like:
Workout Programs
iLhAJBl.png

I'm down to 196lbs, did 5x5 no-bullshit pullups yesterday for the first time and feel pretty good.

That's a great beginner workout and should honestly last you a year or so as you power through your noob gains. Enjoy being able to bring in more than 2 bags of groceries and walk up stairs w/o going out of breath. Also enjoy the better sleep you'll be getting.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Now that I'm using weights again im reminded how soft my programmer/ gamer hands are. Doing deadlifts with even 60lbs dumbells put imprints in my hands. Theyll callous up over time, but i couldnt find any strats on how to speed up the process other than farmer walks and not bring a bitch.
Imprints on your hands doesn't have as much to do with your "soft" hands as much as the gnurling on the weight (and the actual weight itself; higher = more probable).

I've got the Rogue Ohio Power Bar and it's got probably the most aggressive knurling I've ever seen. I pretty much always get imprints on my hands and I've got serious callouses.

I'd consider adding some bicep and ab work to your program. Starting Strength based program are good if you want to be a linebacker, but they're pretty shit at making you well rounded (and not looking like a fridge).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking to buy a book for a deeper dive on bro science, any thoughts on:
5/3/1 Forever

I was looking at Starting Strength, but it seems to focus on barbell exercises that I don't have. Not sure if 531 is really different in that respect.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
5/3/1 is a great program, but if you can still get linear gains, it's not for you. Basically, use 5/3/1 if you've been completely stalled out on a 5x5 type program for 2-3 months.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
As Gravel said, 5/3/1 isn't a beginner program. I'm currently running it.

As for the Ohio Power Bar, can confirm torn hands and shoulders completely destroyed from the knurling. Desperate deadlift attempts always feel good, though, since your hands are basically fucking glued to the bar.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Tuco Tuco I recommend Olympic weight lifting as part of your training regimen. It is a lot more fun/rewarding to do, than your regular gym exercises.

Look for a local affiliate of USAW,
Find a club