Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've never been a fan of doing more than 5 rep sets on deadlift. It's too taxing on your entire system, which means your form breaks down the higher reps you do (which is a big reason I think Crossfitters doing deadlifts is the stupidest fucking thing you could do).

That said, I don't even do deadlifts anymore. Got to 2.5x BW and basically stopped doing them completely. Not really worth the risk of fucking up my back. There are much better exercises for back development; deadlifts probably being the single "best" you could do, but the safety issue makes them not worth it to me (no need to limit yourself to doing the one best exercise when you can do 2 or 3 and not snap your back in half).
Yeah a lot of the programs I see have 5 rep sets on DL. I might slowly decrease the # of reps I do as I increase the weight.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've never understood this whole fear of fucking up your back with deadlifts. If that's a concern, you must have shitty form to begin with. Engage with your fucking legs, not your back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can still slip a disc with perfect form.

And it only takes one error in form to fuck you up for life. Do you have 100% form on every lift you do, every single time?

It's fine if you want to do deadlifts and think the risk is worthwhile. I just decided for myself that it's not. Outside of the ego boost of lifting 500+ pounds, what the benefit?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What's the benefit of doing deadlifts? Is that a serious question?
Yes.

You can say it's the best single back exercise you can do. Sure, I'll buy that.

But is it really that much more beneficial than doing say, pullups, rows, and just about anything for hamstrings on leg day? Fuck, throw in some hip thrusts and you're probably hitting more than you would with just deadlifts.

I could make the same arguments against squats. People fucking love squats and will throw a fit about not doing them. But you know what? They're 100% unnecessary to get a good leg workout. Are they the most efficient? Probably. If they had a massive risk of fucking up your back for the rest of your life, would I do them? Fuck no.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You can still slip a disc with perfect form.

And it only takes one error in form to fuck you up for life. Do you have 100% form on every lift you do, every single time?

It's fine if you want to do deadlifts and think the risk is worthwhile. I just decided for myself that it's not. Outside of the ego boost of lifting 500+ pounds, what the benefit?

This is 100% true. I know I have good form and I've had to full reset deadlifts (start back over at 135 and work my way up again) probably 5 times in the last decade because I either threw out my back doing something else or I felt a weird 'twinge' after a set. I've full reset squats a few times too. I don't fuck around now that I'm getting close to 40.

I specifically do deadlifts for lower back health though. Have a feeling if I didn't work out i'd be throwing my back out every other week doing normal life shit.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yes.

You can say it's the best single back exercise you can do. Sure, I'll buy that.

But is it really that much more beneficial than doing say, pullups, rows, and just about anything for hamstrings on leg day? Fuck, throw in some hip thrusts and you're probably hitting more than you would with just deadlifts.

I could make the same arguments against squats. People fucking love squats and will throw a fit about not doing them. But you know what? They're 100% unnecessary to get a good leg workout. Are they the most efficient? Probably. If they had a massive risk of fucking up your back for the rest of your life, would I do them? Fuck no.

Yes

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lmfao if you've had to fully reset your deadlift progression FIVE times, I've got some news for you -- your form is shit.

Injuries happen just like in any sport, but 99% of injuries within powerlifting happen because of idiocy/ego.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Lmfao if you've had to fully reset your deadlift progression FIVE times, I've got some news for you -- your form is shit.

Injuries happen just like in any sport, but 99% of injuries within powerlifting happen because of idiocy/ego.

Thats true but depending on your goals squats and deadlifts may be entirely unnecessary (i.e. working out for aesthetics only and don't care about powerlifts).

It all depends on what your goals are and how much weight you need to reach those goals, if you have certain size goals it might be impractical to reach without the efficiency of the mass gains of squats and deadlifts.

Some people may not care about that. There's no one size fits all.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Thats true but depending on your goals squats and deadlifts may be entirely unnecessary (i.e. working out for aesthetics only and don't care about powerlifts).

It all depends on what your goals are and how much weight you need to reach those goals, if you have certain size goals it might be impractical to reach without the efficiency of the mass gains of squats and deadlifts.

There's a difference between saying not everyone needs to do them and that they offer no benefit

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
There's a difference between saying not everyone needs to do them and that they offer no benefit

Well, if I scroll up it seems he was asking what the benefit is outside of powerlifting (where deadlift is not optional). Thats a question with an answer, not a statement.

Deadlifts definitely have a benefit, but the question is whether that benefit is worth the risk to you and your back. I think that's a fair question to a lot of people.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Aesthetics just means body composition - as someone that has historically neglected strength/muscle gains then I've always squatted. There's no reason not to do squats (if not carrying any injuries)

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Aesthetics just means body composition - as someone that has historically neglected strength/muscle gains then I've always squatted. There's no reason not to do squats (if not carrying any injuries)

Agree I'd just say always do less weight than you think on squats and do more volume; its one of those exercises (like deadlift) where a slight error in form puts a shit-ton of strain on your back. Strain that adds up as you get older. If you do it somewhat lighter and just do 12 reps instead of 5 or 6 you will still get adequate time under tension and volume and not be putting your back at risk. This is in contrast to most other conventional lifts where if your form deteriorates you just put it down and stop. Squats and deadlifts carry some particular risks.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Agree I'd just say always do less weight than you think on squats and do more volume; its one of those exercises (like deadlift) where a slight error in form puts a shit-ton of strain on your back.

lol, last few months I've been training with a kid from work and introducing him to weights. Just this morning he pulled out of his first squat set saying he'd pulled his back.

I'd noticed he was rounding his back on the warm up sets, everything looked ok after that. This guy has real limited flexibility/mobility e.g his heels don't stay stable when he squats, limited depth - maybe next session we'll just reset and make sure his form is ok