Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Lots of hip/glute/adductor stretching in that limber 11. I was doing Agile 8 but I think I like the stretching aspect of that limber 11 more. Might switch!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Did my first barbell deadlift a couple days ago. Kept it light but it felt great.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Got my rack, set it up last night and did a squat / bench press / pullup work out, I really liked it!

I ended up getting
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Valor-Fitness-BD-7-Power-Attachment/dp/B002EJC990

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Good job tuco.

Lightish week after 10days off because of vacation, then going to test maxes for dl, squat, bench, and ohp next week before starting 531 bbb.

Should be around 425, 345, 265 and 185.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd say it's mostly because deadlift for legs is heavily focused on hamstrings. And I've noticed, at least personally, that hamstrings don't really play much of a role in my squats. Squats are by far more reliant on your quads and even glutes.

Thinking about the movements, I'd guess hamstrings are mostly involved in the eccentric portion of the squat; when you're going down.

I could be talking completely out of my ass, but that's been my experience. I don't know that I've ever had sore hamstrings from squatting, but I definitely have from deadlifts.

You are correct. Squats are mostly anterior chain (I.e, quads) while deadlift is mostly posterior chain (i.e., hamstrings).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I dropped keto for a standard high-carb lifting diet and started taking creatine. I feel like a fucking blimp. I gained some 15lbs in 2 weeks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Finished my first week of Phraks GSLP
OUcEY.png

On each day I finished the workout in about 40 minutes, so I tacked on some accessory workouts on the end that were similar to the main workout. On days I benched, I added incline bench. On days I overhead press, I added DB overhead press. On days I squat, I added bulgarian split squats etc. I'm not sure if I'll drop that as my weights increase, or what, I don't feel too attached to the accessory workouts.

All the movements feel really good. I have to really try to set my shoulders when benching, but when I do I don't have any shoulder pain which is nice, since I was really worried about that. I feel a little weird about only deadlifting one set a week (+whatever warmups I have) vs doing 6 sets of pretty much all the other movements, but I'm sure that makes sense for reasons I don't know.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I dropped keto for a standard high-carb lifting diet and started taking creatine. I feel like a fucking blimp. I gained some 15lbs in 2 weeks.

So you went back to the diet you were complaining about? #justtucocuckthings

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How are you adding weight in 2.5lb increments to a barbell? You have 1.25lb discs?

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have some of these that I haven't actually needed yet, but it is cheaper than fractional plates. If I remember right, each one is around .625lbs. Throw a couple on each side.

McMaster-Carr

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So you went back to the diet you were complaining about? #justtucocuckthings
I started with keto about 10 months ago, dropped 30lbs, then switched to a standard lifting diet until I stopped lifting, where I switched back to keto, then when I started lifting again recently I switched back to a standard lifting diet.

When I stop lifting again I'll probably go back to keto.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's basically the diet you were on for months of successful gaining. 1g of protein per pound, some fat, a bunch of carbs, aiming for a slight caloric surplus.

Though, I'm not varying the calories based on which days I'm working that much, I'll probably dial that in later.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It's basically the diet you were on for months of successful gaining. 1g of protein per pound, some fat, a bunch of carbs, aiming for a slight caloric surplus.

Though, I'm not varying the calories based on which days I'm working that much, I'll probably dial that in later.

oh, did you start from 12% body fat like me too?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I have some of these that I haven't actually needed yet, but it is cheaper than fractional plates. If I remember right, each one is around .625lbs. Throw a couple on each side.

McMaster-Carr
Seconding these things. So much cheaper than engraved microplates. Definitely useful for OHP. Speaking of which, whoever said they had shoulder pain, try using a closer grip.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yes.

Plus another 12% body fat and change. Double plus good.

Then as I've said before you're too fat to be adding weight and consuming that many carbs. You'd look far better after lifting and a 3 month minimum cutting diet but keep cucking yourself

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yes.

Plus another 12% body fat and change. Double plus good.

Just found this article linked on Facebook and funnily enough it describes your situation perfectly

How to Help a Client Who Wants to Gain Weight

"
Let’s say the client is a genetically average-looking guy in his 20s or early 30s who, you estimate, has body fat of 15 to 20 percent. Your first question:

“Do you want to gain weight? Or do you want the illusion of looking bigger?”

More often than not, it’s the latter. If you’ve ever helped a client like this through a transformation, you’ve probably seen that even after losing 10 to 20 pounds, he appears bigger and more muscular.

So if that’s his goal, he’s better served by a fat-loss program that includes a calorie deficit.

Now, if the client isn’t sure, or is dead-set on gaining weight, you need to help him understand the basic science of body composition. As Dr. Gilbert Forbes explained in this study back in 2000, the majority of weight a lean person gains will be muscle, while a person with obesity will add more fat.

In other words, the more fat you start with, the more you’ll gain. (It’s the opposite for weight loss; a lean person will lose a higher percentage of muscle.)

Nobody can predict exactly what will happen for any specific client, but you have to make sure he understands that any weight he gains will include some percentage of fat.

I can usually convince a client like this to eat at maintenance or a slight deficit for the first four to eight weeks of training, with the goal of “priming” his body to gain a higher percentage of lean mass over the next few months.

Here’s how I sell the benefits of a priming phase:

• If the client is a complete beginner, or hasn’t been on a structured plan before, he’ll probably gain some muscle and lose some fat simultaneously.
  • Even if he doesn’t gain much muscle, he’s still building a solid base for future gains.
  • I can pretty much guarantee he’ll like his leaner appearance, and encourage him to take “before” pictures so he’ll be able to see how much progress he’s made when he takes “after” photos a few weeks later.

Last edited: