Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I just finished up my first '5 cycles up' of 5 / 3 / 1 this week. I am dropping 3 cycles back as prescribed and going to use the same program as it seems to have been working. There were multiple complications this year that I wanted to address, low back pain, separated my shoulder in December, and discovered I had the testosterone of a 95 year old man. There was a reason I felt like I was banging my head against the wall trying to make progress before.

I started Clomid in January and I am going to be on it until at least June from the looks of it. The 30 day lab work saw a great increase in Testosterone (Serum Test 188 > 527). Still have an elevated SHBG so my free testosterone is still low. It did lower in the first 30 days so I am hoping that trend continues. Energy levels seem to be rising steadily as well as relieving some of the other symptoms (anxiety, libido, depression, etc.).

The Clomid coupled with the program I am following and the continued decrease in lower back pain allowed me to progress steadily this year. I have been lifting around 1.5 years. I started as part of my rehab for a torn ACL / MCL / PCL and it just kind of stuck. Lifts aren't quite as what I am seeing from the rest of you folks, but they are getting there.
  • Squat: 210 > 242 lbs
  • Deadlift: 265 > 325 lbs
  • OHP: 110 > 125 lbs
  • Bench 140 > 170 lbs
I basically use a 5 / 3 / 1 Full Body Workout Template, 3 days / week. My main focus was fixing / improving my squat. My back had made me wary so I wanted to drill squat form as much as possible. I also started playing with volume to try and get more of a 'power building' program as I still want to put on some muscle. Assistance work is generally a circuit of FacePulls, Push Ups, Farmer's Walks, Suitcase Carry, etc. The optional Saturday work ends up being Kettlebell focused.
  1. Sunday
    1. Squat 5x5 FSL
    2. Deadlift 5 / 3 / 1
    3. Bench press 5 / 3 / 1
    4. Assistance
  2. Tuesday
    1. Squat 50 Reps FSL
    2. OHP 5 / 3 / 1
    3. Bench press 50 Reps FSL
    4. Assistance
  3. Thursday
    1. Squat 5 / 3 / 1
    2. OHP 50 Reps FSL
    3. Deadlift 50 Reps FSL
    4. Assistance
  4. Saturday
    1. Mobility & Assistance (Optional)
I don't so much track my calories at all right now. I made myself quit MyFitnessPal earlier in the year to address OCD tendencies. I am basically Keto and more recently I started the Carnivore Diet (only meat) just to try it out. It is basically getting similar results for me as a low carb approach would. Because of the Carnivore approach I only really eat twice a day so this introduced intermittent fasting as well.

I also stopped weighing myself and am going to do a weight check in a couple of months. I wanted to try and 'listen to my body' and eat like a normal person rather than weighing and tracking everything. I have definitely gained weight. Hopefully most of the weight gained will be muscle!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's good work. I'm doing the full body template as well for the same reasons. I switched it to a 4 day week rather than a 3 day week for main lifts though because trying to do two main lifts + squat assistance work on one day was just too goddamn much and I split out the majority of my assistance work to non main lift days. I have no kids and no real responsibilities other than work so I am able to get to the gym 6 days a week and spend ~2 hours there each day without much hassle. I started the template basically as is from the book and made minor adjustments as I went and figured out what assistance work I preferred. I also found that doing box squats rather than standard squats on my non leg main lift days is really helping with my squat form and confidence. I'm not a lifting newb but I definitely neglected legs the most in the past.

I do:

Monday: Squat (main lift), Incline Bench, Kroc Rows
Tuesday: Assistance work
Wednesday: Box Squats, Bench (main lift), Lat Pulls
Thursday: Assistance work
Friday: Box Squats, Deadlift (main lift), Dips
Saturday: OHP (main lift), Assistance work

Most assistance work involves shoulders, calves and/or forearms with a little tricep/bicep work thrown in. I also do a lot of foam rolling, stretching and mobility exercises before every single workout. A good half hours worth. It's made a very noticeable difference in my squat and deadlift form. My hips are starting to feel almost useful!

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I am basically Keto

eat like a normal person rather than weighing and tracking everything.

Hopefully most of the weight gained will be muscle!

These bits don't tally at all. What is the logic behind going keto (which is used to lose weight) when trying to gain weight, which involves consistently eating at a surplus?

ubiquitrips

These bits don't tally at all. What is the logic behind going keto (which is used to lose weight) when trying to gain weight, which involves consistently eating at a surplus?

I modified my diet over the past couple of years so it is tailored around my mental health before physical performance. I am prone to anxiety, depression, etc. and have found my chance to binge eat increased dramatically when I was on a higher carb diet. At the start of the year I did a paleo-ish type diet, still keeping grains and such out of the picture and mostly avoiding dairy. However, some days I would just hit a bad blood sugar spike or something similar and I would binge hard.

When I am Keto / Low Carb I don't get dramatic blood sugar swings which is largely what I attributed my binging. So I work with that template and try to make the most of it.

ubiquitrips

Most assistance work involves shoulders, calves and/or forearms with a little tricep/bicep work thrown in. I also do a lot of foam rolling, stretching and mobility exercises before every single workout. A good half hours worth. It's made a very noticeable difference in my squat and deadlift form. My hips are starting to feel almost useful!

I feel you on the mobility. My hips were junk, my glutes didn't fire correctly (part of my back problem), it was a mess. Things are starting to fall into place for movement patterns that are a huge quality of life improvement.

Shoulders are also a large focus for me. I eventually want to get back into BJJ more. Back when my shoulders were stiffer it could be obnoxious.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I modified my diet over the past couple of years so it is tailored around my mental health before physical performance. I am prone to anxiety, depression, etc. and have found my chance to binge eat increased dramatically when I was on a higher carb diet. At the start of the year I did a paleo-ish type diet, still keeping grains and such out of the picture and mostly avoiding dairy. However, some days I would just hit a bad blood sugar spike or something similar and I would binge hard.

When I am Keto / Low Carb I don't get dramatic blood sugar swings which is largely what I attributed my binging. So I work with that template and try to make the most of it.

Well adherence is the key in any diet so I can understand. I've been prone to sustained binges after falling off the diet wagon which is why in five years of training these last six months were the first sustained period of adding muscle.

What I can say after that six months is that it's almost necessary to combine clean foods with sugar based items like fruit, carb powders, juice, cereal and low fat ice cream - some days that's the only way to eat enough.

My point is you can incorporate those foods, sugar isn't going to affect your body composition adversely if you're training sufficiently.

Harder to binge when you can eat those foods without the guilt

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Starting PSMF tomorrow. Thinking I'll try for about 10 days. At about 14% bodyfat to start, hoping to get to a legit 11%.

Also going to do it as an intermittent fast, since the last time I did IF it seemed to work out well; and with how little I'll be eating it will hopefully help.

Looking at doing 900-1000 calories a day. Which is about 15,000 total calorie deficit over the 10 days, or 4 pounds of almost purely fat (assuming it works as it's supposed to).

Should be miserable as fuck!

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Starting PSMF tomorrow. Thinking I'll try for about 10 days. At about 14% bodyfat to start, hoping to get to a legit 11%.

Also going to do it as an intermittent fast, since the last time I did IF it seemed to work out well; and with how little I'll be eating it will hopefully help.

Looking at doing 900-1000 calories a day. Which is about 15,000 total calorie deficit over the 10 days, or 4 pounds of almost purely fat (assuming it works as it's supposed to).

Should be miserable as fuck!

Stupid

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I think I would rather do 1500-1700 calories, and 500-700 worth of cardio. Net should be the same, won't be as hungry. Hell just walk on a treadmill for an hour while watching Netflix or something. Shouldn't raise your metabolic rate that much causing additional hunger.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
About 163 as of this morning.

I agree it sounds out there. But I'm giving it a shot as opposed to 1-2 months of smaller deficits.

I downloaded this "extreme 25 day plan" on 8th October, I was 162lbs
A few days later weight was up to 168lbs and checking MFP I had ate several sugary foods and was at 2000 cals then 2400, I was then eating 1500-2000 calories until 18th October, which is when I started my bulk. I started that on 2500 calories and 250g carbs and despite the increase my weight bottomed out at 158lbs on 20th October.

So I lost 4lbs in 12 days and the last 3-4 of those weren't even at a deficit, lol.

The point: 900 calories is ridiculous. If you ate strict 1700 cals the weight would fly off

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I don't have the same anxiety issues, but when not exercising regularly I feel way better in general on keto than off of it. However, as you get more comfortable with exercising regularly you may want to try mixing up your diet a bit and see how it goes.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
900 calories? I literally eat meals bigger than that.

Also how old are you ubi? I asked my doc for a test scan and he was firmly against it because of my age. I was rather annoyed.

ubiquitrips

900 calories? I literally eat meals bigger than that.

Also how old are you ubi? I asked my doc for a test scan and he was firmly against it because of my age. I was rather annoyed.

I am 37. I actually went the 'out of pocket' route for my blood work through WellnessFX and ordered their full panel this year. It includes everything if you want, cholesterol, sex hormones, thyroid, etc. Lots of stuff the doctor may not even want to run given the demographic. I figured I had an HSA and I had gotten to my wits end troubleshooting symptoms with seemingly random bloodwork from my docs. I took this full report to my endocrinologist and have been working through insurance since that point. It can be pretty hit or miss.

I also started the process with Defy Medical as a backup. They are the usual online 'anti-aging' shop which may net some cheaper bloodwork to start as they get deals. Thankfully my doctor saw everything in context and started oh the Clomid route.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
What made you think you had a test deficit?

My doctor basically looked at me, looked at my body, and said "there's absolutely no reason to run it."

I'd still like to know where I'm ranging. I have a feeling it's on the low end.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
A few years ago I had the same issue. I think I was 31 or 32 at the time. I had been super tired (still am) and the doctor said we should do bloodwork. I said we should add testosterone to it, and the doctor was reluctant to add it.

I think I made up some shit about having low libido too just to get it added.

Turns out though, that I went back and looked at some blood results from when I was in the military and I had something like 320. Which got me super worried that I was low. But the newer one came back in the 700 range. Never had a free testosterone done, unfortunately, which is kind of the one that actually matters.

So I guess I'm saying lie.

ubiquitrips

What made you think you had a test deficit?

My doctor basically looked at me, looked at my body, and said "there's absolutely no reason to run it."

I'd still like to know where I'm ranging. I have a feeling it's on the low end.

Nuts to that. That is why I got my own bloodwork. I was tired of seemingly arbitrary rules. A symptom is a symptom. My initial symptoms were primarily libido, energy, and fatigue. I didn't have ED, but I had absolutely no sex drive for around 2 years. It was declining as I got older, but I figured that was just par for the course. After doing some research I attributed depression and anxiety.

I also think it was causing me to be more injury prone (recovery) and I felt like my workouts weren't paying off as much as every other person purports from their training. Once I got over the "Just man up, chump" mentality and investigated it like a problem I found out what I was experiencing was not normal.

If you get panels done, just make sure to get all of the tests. My total Test was <200 so I did not have a problem justifying past that point. However, looking at LH / FSH (pituitary hormones), SHBG, Estradiol, and actual bioavailable testosterone seems pretty critical for plan of attack. You could have a decent Total Test, but because of high SHBG, it could manifest as low bio-available testosterone. Or, as in my case, my pituitary didn't seem to be releasing LH, which is what triggers testosterone production.

I would highly recommend getting cursory blood work if you think you are being affected. While I am not back to 100%, my life is tangibly better. My mood, outlook, energy, etc. all improved.