Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ya I started the pull aparts a few days ago - it hurts but it's nothing excruciating. I was finally in a really good rhythm too, and hitting new highs in BP/OHP.... I'm 99% sure I didn't tear it, and swelling is going away finally.
Most people have a minor tear or even fully torn rotators actually. Very common.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was doing shoulder press and think I had my bench too far forward (aka I was slightly grabbing bar behind me....) - it was fine getting the weight up, but once I racked I felt it kind of tweak - it's the right front area, right at deltoid and rotator cuff(?) connection. Fucking thing sucks, it's a pain even picking up 14 lb little baby. Hoping I didn't tear it, as I can still raise my arm (but it hurts), but even today squatting/deadlifting felt off
Can you explain what you're doing? I'm assuming you were doing seated overhead presses and you decided to pull the bar out of the rack from behind you?

If this is the case, I'd advise never doing overhead press in such a manner unless you have a really strong spotter who can unrack the weight for you. It's just injury waiting to happen.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya I think it was two things really

1) I was doing incline bench just before and was probably pushing too much weight (and because of that, was way higher up my chest than I should have been). I think that probably started it (though it didn't really hurt there)

2) Right after bench, I jumped into OHP and I KNOW I had the bench slightly too far forward where I was reaching behind me just slightly - definitely put me in a prone/compromised position. I was basically rushing through my workout last week and fecked myself with bad form. Feels bad man, I was in a really great zone this past few months and was pushing more than I'd ever pushed (in bench/OHP specifically). Went to do some chest/shoulder stuff yesterday and it just isn't working right..... Got through a heavy back workout with minimal issue though and my shoulder isn't killing me today.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Can't have a fitness thread on FOH without this pic

MDlPchN.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ya I think it was two things really

1) I was doing incline bench just before and was probably pushing too much weight (and because of that, was way higher up my chest than I should have been). I think that probably started it (though it didn't really hurt there)

2) Right after bench, I jumped into OHP and I KNOW I had the bench slightly too far forward where I was reaching behind me just slightly - definitely put me in a prone/compromised position. I was basically rushing through my workout last week and fecked myself with bad form. Feels bad man, I was in a really great zone this past few months and was pushing more than I'd ever pushed (in bench/OHP specifically). Went to do some chest/shoulder stuff yesterday and it just isn't working right..... Got through a heavy back workout with minimal issue though and my shoulder isn't killing me today.

Not to worry you but this is exactly what happened to me when I was a young, strapping lad. Instead of resting and getting it checked out I just "powered through it" like an idiot. 2 years later I kept ignoring it and kept ignoring it and it got so bad I couldn't even put a coat on without pulling it over that arm with my other arm and eventually needed surgery.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Not to worry you but this is exactly what happened to me when I was a young, strapping lad. Instead of resting and getting it checked out I just "powered through it" like an idiot. 2 years later I kept ignoring it and kept ignoring it and it got so bad I couldn't even put a coat on without pulling it over that arm with my other arm and eventually needed surgery.

It's crossed my mind, certainly. I play in a regular golf game with a few old oil farts, and two of them have had shoulder/rotator cuff issues - it's affected them a lot more than I'd have thought and it's in the back of my mind.

It is still a minor irritant, even lifting lower weights/adjusted lifts (standing OHP being one). I'll give it a few more weeks but may just bit the bullet and see a doctor. Still beasting through squats/DL's & back work with little to no irritation or pain, but Bench/Shoulder workouts still trigger it. Bleh

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Took a break from lifting on June 21st because of work and then because I was on vacation.

Did my first return workout on Tuesday. Cut back the weight I used by about 1/3rd to avoid DOMS.

I can't walk, somebody help me.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looks like I am back on the tracking bandwagon. I started working with a strength coach that my doctor recommended. They are excited to see how my body will respond now that my hormones are pretty much back in order. The goal is to put on 10 - 15 lbs of lean mass in the next 1 - 2 years while staying around the same weight.

My previous program had been based on 5/3/1 with extra volume to make it more of a power building style of program. This new program is hypertrophy focused 4 day upper / lower split. It generally has 2 - 3 primary lifts per day with 3 - 5 accessory exercises using machines. Lots more dumbbell / machine work than I did previously. This should help to resolve some of my left / right symmetry. Working in these new rep ranges is a different kind of exhausting than training for strength. The accessories follow '12s progression' which the first week is 12,12,12 and then the next work out the goal is at least 13,12,12. Do this until you get to 15s and then increase the weight. I did 3x14 dumbbell lunges this week with 80 lbs. and my legs were jelly.

The goal now is get slowly ramp up my calories until I start gaining weight and then back off slightly. Doing more of a recomp approach this time around rather than a bulk / cut. Currently I am at around 2400 calories / day and so far I am still losing weight. After we have built the mass there will most likely be a more aggressive cut to finish things off. That is pretty far into the future.

I went and got a DEXA scan as well to kick things off. 5'9" / 185 lbs / 17.5% BF. I am still moderately skeptical of DEXA as calipers / cloth tape formulas put me around 20 - 22%. Assuming the DEXA is correct, this puts me around 145 lbs of lean mass currently. If I can get up to 165 lbs lean at 185 lbs it would put me in the 10 - 12% body fat range which would be the lowest I have ever been. I am really curious about how the skin around my midsection will respond once I drop that low. I have a fair bit of sag from when I was obese, but I am hoping if more surface fat gets shredded the skin will start to tighten up. At the very worst, having a larger chest / back should pull the skin tighter.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Looks like I am back on the tracking bandwagon. I started working with a strength coach that my doctor recommended. They are excited to see how my body will respond now that my hormones are pretty much back in order. The goal is to put on 10 - 15 lbs of lean mass in the next 1 - 2 years while staying around the same weight.

My previous program had been based on 5/3/1 with extra volume to make it more of a power building style of program. This new program is hypertrophy focused 4 day upper / lower split. It generally has 2 - 3 primary lifts per day with 3 - 5 accessory exercises using machines. Lots more dumbbell / machine work than I did previously. This should help to resolve some of my left / right symmetry. Working in these new rep ranges is a different kind of exhausting than training for strength. The accessories follow '12s progression' which the first week is 12,12,12 and then the next work out the goal is at least 13,12,12. Do this until you get to 15s and then increase the weight. I did 3x14 dumbbell lunges this week with 80 lbs. and my legs were jelly.

The goal now is get slowly ramp up my calories until I start gaining weight and then back off slightly. Doing more of a recomp approach this time around rather than a bulk / cut. Currently I am at around 2400 calories / day and so far I am still losing weight. After we have built the mass there will most likely be a more aggressive cut to finish things off. That is pretty far into the future.

I went and got a DEXA scan as well to kick things off. 5'9" / 185 lbs / 17.5% BF. I am still moderately skeptical of DEXA as calipers / cloth tape formulas put me around 20 - 22%. Assuming the DEXA is correct, this puts me around 145 lbs of lean mass currently. If I can get up to 165 lbs lean at 185 lbs it would put me in the 10 - 12% body fat range which would be the lowest I have ever been. I am really curious about how the skin around my midsection will respond once I drop that low. I have a fair bit of sag from when I was obese, but I am hoping if more surface fat gets shredded the skin will start to tighten up. At the very worst, having a larger chest / back should pull the skin tighter.

Why would you be sceptical of the technological method and not the manual methods, lol

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Why would you be sceptical of the technological method and not the manual methods, lol

Eh, probably some passive self loathing / body dysmorphia that I haven't been able to shake. When I look in the mirror, I see a fat guy. Doesn't seem to matter that I am more fit and look better than I did at any previous point in my life.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Halfway through another 1+ week. Definitely feel like my OHP is going to fail me in another cycle or 2. 180×2 for my 1+ set, though i did just get 395x5 for DL on 1+.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I need help bros.
I need to turn this keg back into a lean and mean sexy machine.
I'm having issues getting on diet and staying on diet.
I'll get a week in then crash for a craving.
I have a serious sweet tooth.
The wife isnt supportive of my attempts to get back into shape and ripped like I was when I was a younger pup.
I really need to drop 6 to 8 inches off my muffin top and find my abs again.
I'd like to exchange 30 lbs of fat for muscle.
Where should I start.
I'm pretty tired of the fail boat.
When I'm not shovelling in food from out of the house(guilty of eatting fast food when I break, followed by candy), I mostly eat simple meals.
Fish and veg
Keto stir frys
Bags and bags of nuts
Salads with shredded chicken or tuna with lemon juice and avocado oil dressing
Chicken bakes

schwy

Peasant
I need help bros.
The wife isnt supportive of my attempts to get back into shape and ripped like I was when I was a younger pup.
Where should I start.
When I'm not shovelling in food from out of the house(guilty of eatting fast food when I break, followed by candy), I mostly eat simple meals.
Fish and veg
Keto stir frys
Bags and bags of nuts
Chicken bakes

Lift weights. Eat healthy. Watch action movies from the 80's.

And don't post haiku Bruce Lee style unless you got the body and will power to match , you fat fuck

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I need help bros.
Where should I start.
Fish and veg
Keto stir frys
Bags and bags of nuts
Chicken bakes

Use this link and the subsequent parts to set up your diet and protein, carb, fats totals. Setting Up a Fat Loss Diet: Protein | RNT Fitness

RE: cheating on your diet after a week. In my experience you need 14 days of solid on plan eating to really start seeing results eg consistently down on the scale. This usually gives me the motivation to keep going. After 10-14 days the sugar cravings should be a lot less.

Besides, there are plenty of low fat and low calorie ice creams that are perfectly ok to incorporate into a fat loss diet. Ben Jerrys do one here in the UK that is 350cals per tub. Same with the Halo Top brands - one of those at the weekend after a workout instead of some rice/sweet potato is fine.

Last edited:

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I need help bros.
Where should I start.
Fish and veg
Keto stir frys
Bags and bags of nuts
Chicken bakes
Remove any temptation from the house, in terms of sugary processed garbage. Fruit would be the ideal choice, but like Ossoi said there's a lot of "diet" ice creams available.

You need to stop eating out, and plan ahead so you can't even justify it (I'm getting out of work late, I don't have time to cook, let me grab some Wendy's it's easy, etc.). You don't need to be a psycho and eat only grilled chicken and veggies. Just eat wholesome meals at home, and remove ALL caloric drinks. Water, water, water... and coffee is fine I guess. Also, if your wife isn't supportive, lose the weight and fuck every teenage girl in the neighborhood. She'll start giving a shit then!

Seriously though, it's very simple man -- just do whatever you need to remove fast food and candy. You'll see results just from that, then you start making other tweaks to improve along the way. Keep it simple and build through routine.

If you can get in the gym a few times a week as well, even better. But diet >>> all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users