Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Heh, 3x5 isn't enough volume to make significant gains? Have you never seen Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program? It focuses on even less volume than 3x5, and it works. Really well.

It's also great for beginners and older guys like me because it focuses on slow, safe progress.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
No offense but that is honestly a terrible routine. I would also follow 5x5 and not 3x5. Thats not really enough volume to make significant gains. I highly suggest either PPL (PPL rest PPL) or bro split (1 muscle group a day). But if its one you will follow then thats the best. Im also not a fan of the smith machine as it forces your body to go in a certain motion which can actually do harm. Just lower the weight and do barbell squats.

Agree with the routine is pretty meh. BUT it's fine for starting out. I am a muscle group a day fanatic and have always found the most gains with this routine.

Smith machines force you to do motions...that you....should be doing? I have no idea what you mean by they do you harm. I have never heard this. You should NOT solely use smith machines, as they are just not as efficient. But they are perfect to start with and supplement routines with.

Simple as this. Use the machines 1st if you have no foundation to build on. SM's won't let me cheat. You're not going to pull/rip something because you're doing the exercise poorly. Too much too fast maybe. But that's all weights. They allow you to use muscles with better stability, not worrying about balance of weight etc. They are also safer.

Last edited:

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Smith machines just mess with some of the support muscle groups not getting proper activation during the lifts. If you work them in other ways, you're fine. But if you don't have some free weight stuff mixed in, you're likely to have some issues doing everyday things that would normally require them. So you could be one helluva squatter on the smith but picking up the the couch for a friend might mess up your knees/ankles. Stuff like that.

It's not zero sum, but most machines restrict movement that isn't directly related to the lift, so you don't get the benefit of ancillary muscle exercise nearly as much as with free weights.

Reptition/sets is always going to be a fun debate. 3x5 might be worse for some than it is for others, heavily depending on what lift they are doing and how often they workout. I lift alone in my apartment, so my powerrack and I like to do 3x10 for most. Because A) I'm alone, and B) it's easy to gauge progress. Leads to safer lifting all around for me. if I'm struggling to move the bar on 4, 5 might murder me without a spot. If I can get 9 up, odds are 10 won't be a massive difference, and the weight would be lower as well thus "safer" if I get to do a roll of shame. It's always pretty situational what system works for who.

That said, my advice is don't worry about max reps at all, especially at your stage. Good form, consistency, and not being afraid to grab something lighter to complete a set. Once you have form and consistency down, the gains will come.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Proper bro split is chest 4x a week and biceps 5x a week.

3x5 is fine for a few months and 5/3/1 is good for up to several years of adding weight to your main lifts. It just gets very boring after a few cycles of it, even varying assistant exercises.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Hang the bag on a rack?

You can't have a bag that is not on your person at all times. Most went with fanny packs or...nothing. I was hoping like a weight vest type thing with pockets and shit. Similar to this but larger:

Khane

I'm sure the gym is being forced to institute such a meaningless and idiotic policy, but that does kind of suck.

"You can touch this equipment all you want, but your bag... your bag is a filthy disease vector that won't be tolerated"

I'm assuming supermarkets in your area have also banned bags? heh heh heh.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. Might as well not put shoes or weights on the floor either.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Get a big ass bag. Get a lot of chalk. Put all chalk in bag. Bring bag to gym. Over chalk and desdlift for a few hours.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. Might as well not put shoes or weights on the floor either.

It's beyond retarded. I mean fuckin come on. The rule should be keep your nasty ass bag ON the floor. Off the equipment.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't know if I should even be worried about this at this point, but I've done Bench Press day 4 times now, and I'm worried about how wobbly my arms still are (probably worried because on the other lifts it would be relatively easy to just drop the weight, with bench press there's a bunch of bones and squishy bits under the bar). It doesn't seem to matter what weight I'm doing (just the bar, 70, 80, or 90), my arms just drift and wobble. Is it dumb for me to be worried about that this early into doing the lifts? Should I just set aside additional time to slowly bench just-the-bar until my body gets used to the motion? Not having this issue with any of the other major lifts (Including Overhead Press, which I'd assumed would share similar issues?), and the muscle soreness hasn't re-occurred after the first session for each set of lifts.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It sounds like you are using really bad form. You might have your arms to close to a 90 degree angle which creates an imbalance and puts way to much stress on your shoulders and leads to injury. Or are bringing the bar down the wrong path. Try going slower for a little while and really focus on the press and flex at top to build that muscle connection. And dont worry about being sore or not, that doesnt mean you are getting a good or bad workout.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I don't know if I should even be worried about this at this point, but I've done Bench Press day 4 times now, and I'm worried about how wobbly my arms still are (probably worried because on the other lifts it would be relatively easy to just drop the weight, with bench press there's a bunch of bones and squishy bits under the bar). It doesn't seem to matter what weight I'm doing (just the bar, 70, 80, or 90), my arms just drift and wobble. Is it dumb for me to be worried about that this early into doing the lifts? Should I just set aside additional time to slowly bench just-the-bar until my body gets used to the motion? Not having this issue with any of the other major lifts (Including Overhead Press, which I'd assumed would share similar issues?), and the muscle soreness hasn't re-occurred after the first session for each set of lifts.

Yes. Work with JUST the bar for a bit. Figure out the best placement for your hands. I always go slight past my elbows for my hand placement. Rule of thumb is that for chest wider is better.
Also NEVER TOUCH YOUR CHEST WITH THE BAR! Fuck what everyone else is doing. Stay at least a couple inches off your chest.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This is 100% bro science and wrong.

No. It's truth. Been thru this a million times. What do you gain by going past parallel? Please. Enlighten me. Except a fucked up rotator cuff maybe. Minimal gains. Maximum risk of injury.

The point of the exercise is to work your chest. Going past parallel involves your shoulders at that point. Work your shoulders with another exercise.

Last edited:

Khane

This is 100% bro science and wrong.

Touching your chest isn't even bro science. It's competition judging laziness. That's the only reason people touch their chest. Because competitions require it to make it easier to judge a "clean lift".

Though "never touch your chest" is probably wrong too.

• 1Like