Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You are taking away the most important part of the lift. Do some research before spitting out false info. There is no increase of injury for going through the full range of motion. Your hand placement is wrong too. And wider isnt better either. Thats how you get injured, especially as a beginner.

Heres even some cited info to debunk your dumb ass facts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Touching your chest isn't even bro science. It's competition judging laziness. That's the only reason people touch their chest. Because competitions require it to make it easier to judge a "clean lift".

If you think every body is the same, everyone has the same arm length, everyone is the same height, and a guy who's been working out for 20 years and has a 50+ inch chest and only needs to move the bar 1/3 of the same distance a skinny 6'5" noob has to just to even touch their chest, well. I've got a bridge to sell you.

As Brahma said, not going past parallel is the correct way to think about it if you must in defacto terms. "Always touch your chest" makes no sense as a general rule for every lifter by comparison.
Your body measurements literally have nothing with how to correctly perform a lift. Thats a terrible argument to make. Youre doing half a lift by stop halfway through it and not fully engaging the muscle. You guys are retarded.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Touching your chest isn't even bro science. It's competition judging laziness. That's the only reason people touch their chest. Because competitions require it to make it easier to judge a "clean lift".

Though "never touch your chest" is probably wrong too.

tenor (1).gif

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"Here's my opinion" is hardly "Debunking" anything. You can cite a ton of other bodybuilding/powerlifting trainers who say the opposite. Just look at how they train at west side barbell.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Also "wider the better" is not a thing. Different hand placement results in stress distributions across different muscle groups. And everyones anatomy is different and one persons shoulder socket is not another persons shoulder socket. First thing to figure out is the angle your arm makes with your body when you bench.

Yes, use an empty bar.

• 1Like

Khane

Your body measurements literally have nothing with how to correctly perform a lift. Thats a terrible argument to make. Youre doing half a lift by stop halfway through it and not fully engaging the muscle. You guys are retarded.

Umm? A guy with a 50 inch chest only needing to move the bar literally 1/3rd of the distance to hit his chest and not even making it to parallel because his pecs are so huge is the same as a skinny runt moving the bar 3 times as far? K

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Anyone figure out a decent mask to use for the gym? Fuck this faggotry.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Also while I am here, hex bar is best way to squat and deadlift. Fight me.

• 1Worf

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You are taking away the most important part of the lift. Do some research before spitting out false info. There is no increase of injury for going through the full range of motion. Your hand placement is wrong too. And wider isnt better either. Thats how you get injured, especially as a beginner.

God you're an idiot. Think of it this way. If Billy is lifting 45 pounds and goes past parallel...who gives a shit. He can twirl the bar like a baton with no injury to Billy. Billy is lifting 450 pounds and goes past parallel. What muscle group will be taking on that weight? Your shoulders. Probably your weakest muscle group. MY shoulders can take 450 pounds. Can Billy's? 99% chance he's going to fuck em up eventually. I've seen it literally a dozen times. Dudes complaining about pain and needing surgery. Not even with what I'd consider heavy weight.

As for my hand placement. What I said will probably be good for most people. Height here really matters. My wide grip at 6'3" is damn near the edge of the bar. That is wide my grip. Almost 100% chest dependent. Again since I am NOT coming past parallel little to no risk.

But lets say grabbing the bar by putting your arms straight up...When you come down, your wrists will be at an odd angle, with your elbows flared. But since you gave no advice here...Please enlighten us where your hand placement should be.

If the goal is to lift, get stronger, put up more weight, then why start down some road that will probably lead to injury when the gains start.

Khane

I'm not really sure why anyone would argue that a certain arm position doesn't make for a more universal "good form" practice than some random arbitrary "touch this part of your body" rule. As long as you aren't a tiny little ladyboy if you use good powerlifting form you're probably touching your chest anyway just to get to parallel. I always touch my chest, but I'm shooting for parallel and never past. When I get too steep the shoulder I had surgery on starts fucking screaming at me.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
God you're an idiot. Think of it this way. If Billy is lifting 45 pounds and goes past parallel...who gives a shit. He can twirl the bar like a baton with no injury to Billy. Billy is lifting 450 pounds and goes past parallel. What muscle group will be taking on that weight? Your shoulders. Probably your weakest muscle group. MY shoulders can take 450 pounds. Can Billy's? 99% chance he's going to fuck em up eventually. I've seen it literally a dozen times. Dudes complaining about pain and needing surgery. Not even with what I'd consider heavy weight.

As for my hand placement. What I said will probably be good for most people. Height here really matters. My wide grip at 6'3" is damn near the edge of the bar. That is wide my grip. Almost 100% chest dependent. Again since I am NOT coming past parallel little to no risk.

But lets say grabbing the bar by putting your arms straight up...When you come down, your wrists will be at an odd angle, with your elbows flared. But since you gave no advice here...Please enlighten us where your hand placement should be.

If the goal is to lift, get stronger, put up more weight, then why start down some road that will probably lead to injury when the gains start.
Damn, I feel like we are responding to a college bro who literally only ever benches

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Did you even READ the responses? Literally 1st response is as follows:

I stopped reading after he insisted on touching the bar to the chest on bench. This is very irresponsible advice. I have had enough rotator cuff issue to take this advice seriously.

Or this:

I really can't understand how this article could be published on the first page of bodybuilding.com Where are your scientific facts for all these "crimes" bro? Blogs, and what your friends have told you does not count as a scientific fact, no matter how much you wish it to be true..

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Thanks for the advice folks, sorry if my noob questions sparked arguments. Doing extra sets of just-the-bar on bench press, and added sets of dumbbell flyes to the end of each work-out session.

With how wobbly I've been with the bench press, haven't really been trying to touch my chest with it, since I'm paranoid it'd end up staying there.

Last edited:

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
As I own and run a large S&C gym I’m probably more qualified than most in this field but I always refer to a saying of one of my friends in the industry; “there’s a reason to do everything”.

For what it’s worth, when teaching the bench press we teach full range of motion. As we do in all lifts. Stopping an inch or so from the chest would commonly be known as a Spoto Press.

Things like grip width etc are often personal to the lifter but in general people go with a wider grip on bench press to reduce the range of motion and enable them to lift heavier.

My only bit of firm advice would be to get a qualified in person coach(not online, you would benefit from the immediate feedback of in person) in your area. It’ll be the best way to hone your technique and give you the knowledge and confidence to train independently.

• 1Like