Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Does it ever hurt there other times when you're not working out? I've been having pain there the last month and very sporadically prior and I had/have gall stones
Actually yes.

sometimes it’s been triggered from taking a hot shower or sitting in a jacuzzi

furthermore, my grandma and mom
Have had gallbladder issues

however, nothing ever showed up on an X-ray back in 2019, but they weren’t looking at stomach issues, just heart and lungs

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
An xray will only show if its inflamed(afaik based on what the doctor told me). Mine wasnt. I needed an ultrasound to see if there were stones, which there were. That being said hot showers, tubs, compresses relieved my pain so idk

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Ok so I moved and the only reasonably priced gym near me is Planet Fitness but it’s one of the few where it’s actually busy, super busy actually.
I never get to use the equipment I want.

So to hell with it, what’s the most basic equipment I need to get a well rounded work out in? And I’m trying not spend too much $$ if possible. I can get a bike for cardio or even run on the local college track.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you had a set of dumbbells (adjustable?) and a bench, you can do pretty much a full workout.

We sold our power rack when we moved from CA to FL, and I've been making due for the last couple years with dumbbells from 10 to 55, a curl bar, a regular barbell, and the plates we had. Oh, and a pull up bar.

Yeah, I'm only benching 55 lb dumbbells, but I'm also old as shit now so I probably should've stopped benching 2 plates for reps a while ago.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you do higher rep range work you can really milk a basic dumbbell set for a long time. Especially since you're at home so your penis isn't telling your brain to cheat-form lift heavy shit to impress the yogapants on the next bench over.

If I had to go basic I'd just get a bench (proper bench can also be used for light bodyweight stuff since they're heavy enough for an anchor), a small dumbbell set, some bands, and a pull up bar (door-frame one if renting, drill into wall if home owner). If I had a nearby park with bars I'd skip the pull up bar.

If you live in a state with garbage weather you might consider an elliptical or a rowing machine for cardio, since they get the whole body working. But if you're not gonna die in a blizzard biking/jogging is great.

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You could look into kettlebells, too. They're pretty versatile.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So what’s the general consensus on adjustable dumbbells?
Seems like they’re a nice space saving option.

any disadvantages?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

any disadvantages?
Not being able to drop them is kind of a big deal.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like my bowflex adjustables. Saves on space and easier/faster to change weights, which I hate.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
It shouldn't be
If you still have enough control to properly and safely lower your dumbells after your last set then you are likely not doing whatever you are doing with enough intensity.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Moron
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If you still have enough control to properly and safely lower your dumbells after your last set then you are likely not doing whatever you are doing with enough intensity.

You must be doing something terribly wrong. Even going to failure, you should at least be able to control the negative.

Otherwise, you're a danger to yourself and anyone around you if you're regularly letting dumbbells free-fall and bounce around

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is dumb and has nothing to do with adjustable dumbbells

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Look at this weaksauce shit. Bro, I lift until I literally pass out, and then when i come to I hit my next set until unconsciousness again. Anything less and you're just not lifting with enough intensity.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

any disadvantages?
I love my Bowflex adjustable ones. Something to keep in mind though is that you can fuck them up while loading more weight on - I don't remember how, but read the manual it comes with. I have the accompanying stand as well which is A) stupidly pricey for what it is B) still very convenient and, over time, worth it (to my back at least).

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I’ve been eyeing some adjustable sets as well but. I don’t really have a good spot to put a bench right now and they always seem expensive for what they are.

I have a kettlebell and door frame pull up bar that’s tiding me over fine for now. I recommend a kettle bell if you haven’t tried one, the versatility is great.

• 1Like