Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Arkk spelled it out, I figured you read that and took it into consideration.

Vanilla lifting teaches your body to do vanilla lifts. How often are you sitting on your back pushing 100+ lbs away from your body at a perfectly perpendicular angle? How often are you extending your leg to kick/push something while seated and keeping the rest of your body completely still? Real life movements and actions require most or all of your body to perform. Crossfit helps teach your body to use multiple muscle groups to functionally get work done. Weight lifting teaches specific muscles to get bigger and stronger, in a very specific and limited way.

It is a simple fact that you will encounter more things in your real life that are more akin to crossfit movements, or require what your body has learned from that, as opposed to anything you will ever do in a vanilla lifting routine. Sans deadlifting and squatting, probably. I was not concerned with what these people do for a living, or anything like that. And it is largely irrelevant anyway, the relevant issue is what their goals are. I sit at a desk for a lot of my life, but I am still interested in gaining functional strength and endurance, which is why I am into CrossFit now. When I was overweight and had zero muscle, I began with a couple of years of vanilla lifting because my primary goal was to look good. Now, I look good, so I've moved on.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still don't get what you're saying. I lift, but don't do Crossfit. Outside of the cardiovascular workout, I don't see what you're getting that I'm not. And I will likely be stronger in all the things you need strength for outside of endurance contests.

I'm also not sure why you think Crossfit has a bunch of exercises that traditional weight lifting doesn't. You do realize all the lifts Crossfit has are from traditional weightlifting, yes? I do pullups, you do kipping pullups. I squat, you squat. I deadlift, you deadlift. I power clean, you clean and jerk. I curl, you probably do something weird with a kettlebell. The big difference is Crossfit goes for a maximal number of reps in a certain period of time. I go for max effort in weight. And just because I do that, doesn't mean the guy next to me in the gym isn't repping out in the 8-12 range and runs a 5k after his workout.

The problem with crossfit is that it's geared to get you injured sooner or later. Doing heavy and technical lifts against the clock just means when you are dying for breath your technique will go to the shitter.

I prefer to keep my strength training and conditioning/interval work separate for the most part.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just want to say kipping pullups are pure horseshit. You guys can suck a fat black dick with that bullshit.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Vanilla lifting teaches your body to do vanilla lifts. How often are you sitting on your back pushing 100+ lbs away from your body at a perfectly perpendicular angle? How often are you extending your leg to kick/push something while seated and keeping the rest of your body completely still? Real life movements and actions require most or all of your body to perform. Crossfit helps teach your body to use multiple muscle groups to functionally get work done. Weight lifting teaches specific muscles to get bigger and stronger, in a very specific and limited way.

It is a simple fact that you will encounter more things in your real life that are more akin to crossfit movements, or require what your body has learned from that, as opposed to anything you will ever do in a vanilla lifting routine. Sans deadlifting and squatting, probably. I was not concerned with what these people do for a living, or anything like that. And it is largely irrelevant anyway, the relevant issue is what their goals are. I sit at a desk for a lot of my life, but I am still interested in gaining functional strength and endurance, which is why I am into CrossFit now. When I was overweight and had zero muscle, I began with a couple of years of vanilla lifting because my primary goal was to look good. Now, I look good, so I've moved on.
Wow.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord

Exercises like squat, deadlift, bench, press, clean, and snatch yield general strength that applies to everything. Squats will,up to a point, improve sprinting speed, endurance walking up stairs, and lots of other things, for example. Why do you think athletes do strength training? Just because no one lays on a flat bench and pushes an object away from their body doesn't mean that bench strength is useless. The purpose of those exercises, the reason they are good (for strength), is because they generalize.

The whole "real world application" argument doesn't make any sense. Yes, crossfit is better for "real world strength" than bodybuilding/isolation workouts, but no one says it isn't. Compare it to a strength program + endurance training, and I don't see any difference.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've been struggling with deadlift since I've been back in the gym. Basically my back would feel incredibly weak afterwards. It wasn't exactly pain, but it didn't feel good either. I believe I've pinpointed it to too much lower back arch. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it and maintain a more neutral back?

I thought about maybe posteriorly rotating my pelvis before the pull, but I'm not sure if that's safe to do (I thinking of it like rolling your shoulders during a lift).

I've been struggling with deadlift since I've been back in the gym. Basically my back would feel incredibly weak afterwards. It wasn't exactly pain, but it didn't feel good either. I believe I've pinpointed it to too much lower back arch. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it and maintain a more neutral back?

I thought about maybe posteriorly rotating my pelvis before the pull, but I'm not sure if that's safe to do (I thinking of it like rolling your shoulders during a lift).
Sounds like a herniated thoracic disk. The disk, extending into the spinal canal, is putting intense pressure on a nerve running between two ribs.

Oh it wasn't Dabamf that posted this. Sorry, no idea.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Drop the weight Elurin. Fix the form. Continue to progress.

Simple as that. It'll be easier to fix the form with lighter weight.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's actually the reason I noticed it. I was doing my warmup set with 135 and that's when it clicked that it might be over arching. I can't really drop the weight any more, because my gym has no bumper plates and getting lower (to the ground) if I were to deadlift with smaller plates will just throw my form off even more.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
For the arch thing do you take and hold a really deep breath when you set up? I find that helps me keep everything very tight in general.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I was always told to hold a breath and push it into your stomach, like you're pushing a baby Alien out of your stomach. That's supposed to stabilize your core and might help stop your back from arching.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah valsalva maneuver, basically hold your breath. Although I dont push in on my stomach, if I wear a belt I'm told you're supposed to push against it. If I dont have a belt then I just fill with air and keep it tight.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's a fuckload of fiber. Not sure how much they cost. Honestly, it's food. It depends on what you're eating it for.

I could say they're a bit high in fat compared to a protein shake, but for my macros that amount of fat would be fine. Really, you just have to ask yourself if it's worth the money/time to eat that vice whole foods that would provide the same nutrients. If the answer is yes, then go for it.

Since we're posting products all the sudden, I saw this today. Looks interesting, if not completely retarded. Like, I think it'd be fun for the first workout. But then I imagine your muscles continue to be warm and so it's just like one of those shirts from the 80's where it permanentely was the one color.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...sports-apparel

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Going only 70% of intensity is frustrating. I've done it for about four weeks now. But my joints are feeling much better.