Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well Elurin, it's mostly to be either a fast grab breakfast or a snack during work. Only 200 calories, tons of fiber and protein. Fuck fat, I really don't care about fat. It's a matter of staying within my caloric needs and getting enough protein/fiber, and 1 gram of sugar, as opposed to most protein bars which have 25+.

They're a little expensive, but you're paying $2 a bar basically. Perhaps someone can show me the downside, cause I don't see it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I tried some Kind bars recently (wife won a box of 20 a few weeks ago) and really enjoy them.

My only concern with the Quest ones is the amount of fiber. That just seems like a ridiculous amount of fiber to be eating at once.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I eat wraps with 27g of fiber. Let's just say I shit about 3 times a day.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Did a variation of that end of last year. It is indeed difficult, but wasn't suited to what I was looking to achieve so I stopped. Aside from results (only stuck with it a month) - it was a long workout... For my schedule I'd rather workout/lift 5x a week @40 minutes or so than 3x at 1:15. Switched from HST tohttp://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris...-training.html(a 4 week program) and results were really good.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm still doing 5x5 with low intensity cardio and then off days high intensity. Still need to lose a good 10-15 pounds before I'm happy. Then I'll prob switch to a hypertrophy type workout, or might do GVT with my buddy for the summer. I was just looking at that cause I was bored, it looks like a long full body workout, not something I'd be excited to do 3 times a week.

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
10 days since surgery, got the stitches out today and cast removed and an arm brace fitted that gives me motion from 90 degrees "sling position" down about 30 degrees or so and i'll be this way for the next 4 weeks as i slowly work the arm within these limits.

Overall things are moving along, I've been working out since 4 days after the surgery on 4 day split. Legs on Monday, Shoulder Tuesday, Wed off, Back and other arm Thursday and Chest, Tri on Friday to keep my sanity. I have also added a 4 mile hill walk each day that I started the day following surgery.

I am supplementing a lot to help accelerate the healing process and I do feel its working, no pain meds since the day of the surgery.

10 days since surgery, got the stitches out today and cast removed and an arm brace fitted that gives me motion from 90 degrees "sling position" down about 30 degrees or so and i'll be this way for the next 4 weeks as i slowly work the arm within these limits.

Overall things are moving along, I've been working out since 4 days after the surgery on 4 day split. Legs on Monday, Shoulder Tuesday, Wed off, Back and other arm Thursday and Chest, Tri on Friday to keep my sanity. I have also added a 4 mile hill walk each day that I started the day following surgery.

I am supplementing a lot to help accelerate the healing process and I do feel its working, no pain meds since the day of the surgery.
What did you do?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The best part of crossfit is the social aspect of it. I have been doing it for 8 month, and the benefit over a regular gym is the community aspect of it. I know around 50-60 people on the gym and we talk after classes, during classes, before classes. Girls are completely approachable and more social on this setting than a regular gym. I would go to regular gym before for months and never interact with any girl, and with just a few guys. In fact god forbids you will go and strike a conversation with a girl while she is resting on a machine. On crossfit the social interaction is so much easier and frankly that makes the work out easier and funner. Also there is nothing like doing front squads behind a girl wearing yoga pants.

On a personal level, I seen dramatic transformations, myself I am one. I took a picture before and after and there are some nice improvements, granted it was combined with paleo (sorry ark) and 8 months of 4-5 days a week workouts.

Btw you don?t have to do anything with kipping, it is just easier, you can just do a regular pull up. Crossfit also teaches the technique how to do the exercise the most efficient way. That is why you use kipping, because it is easier, not required.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
If the workout is so hard that kippings are required, the workout should be made easier (in terms of numbers). A hard amount of pullups is going to be way more effective than a hard amount of kipping pullups.

The best part of crossfit is the social aspect of it. I have been doing it for 8 month, and the benefit over a regular gym is the community aspect of it. I know around 50-60 people on the gym and we talk after classes, during classes, before classes. Girls are completely approachable and more social on this setting than a regular gym. I would go to regular gym before for months and never interact with any girl, and with just a few guys. In fact god forbids you will go and strike a conversation with a girl while she is resting on a machine. On crossfit the social interaction is so much easier and frankly that makes the work out easier and funner. Also there is nothing like doing front squads behind a girl wearing yoga pants.

On a personal level, I seen dramatic transformations, myself I am one. I took a picture before and after and there are some nice improvements, granted it was combined with paleo (sorry ark) and 8 months of 4-5 days a week workouts.

Btw you don?t have to do anything with kipping, it is just easier, you can just do a regular pull up. Crossfit also teaches the technique how to do the exercise the most efficient way. That is why you use kipping, because it is easier, not required.
There's nothing wrong with Paleo. It's basically just a healthy diet minus grains and milk and legumes. As time has gone on even the most staunch Paleo people are starting to soften on one or more of those.

No one is going to say eating whole foods is a bad idea, I just don't think it makes any diff if someone eats oatmeal or brown rice, either for general health or optimal perfomance, and I hate when people start with the "caveman" shit. I don't want to eat what fucking cavemen supposedly ate(which is a whole diff story). It's 2013, I like my computer and I like yogurt, and pizza and shaved vagina. I don't want to be a caveman.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I bet yogurt would give cavemen the shits something fierce.. and with no toilet paper?

Bicep tendon tear (couple posts back)

Using pain meds now though, stretching the arm hurts like hell after a few minutes. Day one and I can move it down 15 degrees so good progress but I do feel extremely vulnerable in this brace.
This Wakandan crazy. I wouldn't lift at all. Relax, play EQ.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
If the workout is so hard that kippings are required, the workout should be made easier (in terms of numbers). A hard amount of pullups is going to be way more effective than a hard amount of kipping pullups.
This quote illustrates the common misconception and ignorance of CrossFit's entire philosophy.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I need new running sneakers. I have 4 blisters on my left foot lmao. Anyone recommend some cheap, effective running shoes?

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I need new running sneakers. I have 4 blisters on my left foot lmao. Anyone recommend some cheap, effective running shoes?
Hard to say. What kind of shoe you wear depends entirely on the kind of feet you have. You should go to a good running store and have them help you find something. I generally like Asics, but I went withthis Sauconyrecently because I have an ankle injury that causes me to pronate through the bottom of my gait, and this felt the best of the options that had been picked out for my specific issues.