Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's no way a 6'4 280 guy's TDEE is 2700 calories. Even if he is 42... there's no fucking way.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
There's no way a 6'4 280 guy's TDEE is 2700 calories. Even if he is 42... there's no fucking way.
That's the sedentary TDEE according to calcs. That's why I said revise after a week. People tend to overestimate (drastically) calories burnt from daily activity and lifting. Calculators get you into the ballpark, then you need to track caloric intake and weight delta to figure out the hidden variable (caloric expenditure).

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I mean I'm dieting at 2400 and losing 2 pounds a week. I'm at 190, it just seems wayyyy off.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Looking for some advice for bench.

Ive made some good gains this past year doing Strong Lifts 5x5. Ive gotten my last bench set to 315x5, but now Im getting some strange right shoulder pain. All along my back right shoulder through what feels like the crease between my deltoid and tricep. It wakes me up at night lately. Obviously its fucked and I need to lay off the heavy bench press. My hope was to get to a consistant 400+ bench by the end of the summer, but if I cant go heavy, I dont think thats going to happen. I know bench isnt that important, but its my hobby. /shrug I still squat and deadlift regularly and have not problem going heavy in either.

Ive switched from going 5 reps to just dropping down to 225 and getting 3 set of 15. I can do this without lingering pain that night or the next day. Any thoughts on if this will maintain strength and gains while I let my asshole shoulder heal? A friend suggested I stay at low reps/heavy weight but with close grip, but that seems to be an entirely different exercise to me.

Additionally, I'm getting older now (42) and I'm getting less confident in my ability to keep loading on heavy weights without some inevitable old man injury happening. Any good programs that are a transition away, but still keeping good fundementals, core exercises, without doing dumb trendy movements.

Also, diet.... How do you maintain strength and drop weight as a old guy? Protein adds muscle, but it just gets me bulkier and lm looking to trim down. (Im 6'4 280) I dont want to be 50 years and this heavy, but I still want to life and want to avoid sustained cardio horseshit like running. (HIIT?)
That's your rhomboid it sounds like. I just pulled that like a year ago. It SUUUUCKED. I couldn't sleep on my stomach at all. Hell even when I went to pick up a glass of water it was annoying. I had to get a couple massages to loosen it, and stopped working out for a month.

There pretty much is no way to get to 400 without going heavy. Just make sure your technique is solid, and you should not hurt yourself.

God you sound exactly like me a year ago. Just constant pain after workouts. What really helped me was creatine and stretching after lifting. Pain from lifting pretty much vanished within a couple weeks. You find the answer to getting older, keeping your strength, but not gaining weight, PLEASE let me know. Same as you, I say fuck the cardio. I can't seem to do both and maintain strength. I rather be stronger.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Holy shit man, stop benchingcompletelyand go see a doctor. Everything I've read about shoulder injuries/surgeries scare me... and at 42, you aren't going to spring back like a 20 year old lifter who blows out his shoulder.

Re: diet; eat 100-200g protein and under 2700 calories (your TDEE) daily. Track your weight, record your progress, lower calories further if not losing weight consistently over a week period. You aren't going to maintain all your strength, that's just what existence at a deficit is -- its logical, your body is being forced into canabalizing itself for energy... its not going to perform at its best. You'll especially lose #s on your lifts dropping from 280lbs (34.1 BMI!)... but the health AND aesthetic benefit should compensate for that. I mean, once again, I'm no doctor... but I'm going to guess you're 25+ percent bf and that's not optimal.
I'm no expert on TDEE, but those numbers seem way off.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looking for some advice for bench.

Ive made some good gains this past year doing Strong Lifts 5x5. Ive gotten my last bench set to 315x5, but now Im getting some strange right shoulder pain. All along my back right shoulder through what feels like the crease between my deltoid and tricep. It wakes me up at night lately. Obviously its fucked and I need to lay off the heavy bench press. My hope was to get to a consistant 400+ bench by the end of the summer, but if I cant go heavy, I dont think thats going to happen. I know bench isnt that important, but its my hobby. /shrug I still squat and deadlift regularly and have not problem going heavy in either.

Ive switched from going 5 reps to just dropping down to 225 and getting 3 set of 15. I can do this without lingering pain that night or the next day. Any thoughts on if this will maintain strength and gains while I let my asshole shoulder heal? A friend suggested I stay at low reps/heavy weight but with close grip, but that seems to be an entirely different exercise to me.

Additionally, I'm getting older now (42) and I'm getting less confident in my ability to keep loading on heavy weights without some inevitable old man injury happening. Any good programs that are a transition away, but still keeping good fundementals, core exercises, without doing dumb trendy movements.

Also, diet.... How do you maintain strength and drop weight as a old guy? Protein adds muscle, but it just gets me bulkier and lm looking to trim down. (Im 6'4 280) I dont want to be 50 years and this heavy, but I still want to life and want to avoid sustained cardio horseshit like running. (HIIT?)
Re: the joint pain. I'm your age, and I take joint supplements. This one has helped me a lot.MRSupps.com : Forged Joint Repair

In my opinion, this is the best joint supplement on the market (I've tried them all). When I don't take it, my joints are achy like yours for no reason. I feel 20 years younger on it, if not, I feel like a bag of bones.

I've had chronic shoulder pain before, and it's always gone away. Just try to do exercises that cause the least amount of pain. Awhile back, for some reason, side laterals used to be excruciating for me. I started doing machine side laterals (for some reason, those didn't hurt).

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was in the gym this AM, doing close grips, and asked a guy for a spot. He asked me how many I was going for. Next thing you know, I yelled, "UNTIL I'M THE BIGGEST MOTHERFUCKER IN THE WORLD" at the top of my lungs. He started giggling and said, "Good answer." Thankfully, he's seen CT Fletcher's videos. I don't know where that came from, it just came out. I'm at a point where I've stopped counting reps.

I then cranked out a set of close grips of 225x10. I could have done more, but my wrists are a little loose.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was in the gym this AM, doing close grips, and asked a guy for a spot. He asked me how many I was going for. Next thing you know, I yelled, "UNTIL I'M THE BIGGEST MOTHERFUCKER IN THE WORLD" at the top of my lungs. He started giggling and said, "Good answer." Thankfully, he's seen CT Fletcher's videos. I don't know where that came from, it just came out. I'm at a point where I've stopped counting reps.

I then cranked out a set of close grips of 225x10. I could have done more, but my wrists are a little loose.
That's more than I could do with a neutral grip lmao.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh!

Has anyone tried testosterone pills?
Yes, and fuck 'em. They have to clear the liver and kidneys, so the stress is too much. It would be better to pin then to take pills. I've known guys in the gym that have been on injectables for years and not had any issues. I can't go two weeks on the pills, the sides get so bad. The appeal of those were that they were legal, but with the PH Ban of 2014, no more. I'm too much of a pussy to inject, so I'm done, period. I train better without that crap. Honestly, the pills are 10x worse than the black market stuff, they just trash your body so bad.

I do so much better with just having my nutrition dialed, protein shakes and creatine. When I took Beastdrol, I didn't have the energy to train.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yes, and fuck 'em. They have to clear the liver and kidneys, so the stress is too much. It would be better to pin then to take pills. I've known guys in the gym that have been on injectables for years and not had any issues. I can't go two weeks on the pills, the sides get so bad. The appeal of those were that they were legal, but with the PH Ban of 2014, no more. I'm too much of a pussy to inject, so I'm done, period. I train better without that crap. Honestly, the pills are 10x worse than the black market stuff, they just trash your body so bad.

I do so much better with just having my nutrition dialed, protein shakes and creatine. When I took Beastdrol, I didn't have the energy to train.
Good info, thx.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good info, thx.
related

I'll disagree with him that they don't work. They do work, but maybe you get 1/3 the effect of injecting, and 10x the sides. And since the PH ban, I'm not sure what you are getting is real. The link I gave for Mrsupps was for the joint support. They had PH's, but I wonder if those are any good, since there is like a $500,000 fine per bottle now, if manufactured. I don't see how you could get a real PH in the US, you'd have to order it from someplace overseas. And why order pills when you can get injectables from overseas?

Most guys shouldn't even think about taking any of this until they are 200 pounds and pretty lean. So many guys I've seen in the gym lose all the weight from a cycle and then some, by not doing research, or having good habits. Some guys go on cycle and don't get many gains. Guess what, if you miss going to the gym, or eat like crap, nothing is going to happen. You'll just get fat from taking PED's and not working out.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's been a long time since I read about them, but I want to say orals really destroy either your kidneys or liver. Like, they're awful for you. If you're going to start a cycle, go with something injectable. Seriously.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's been a long time since I read about them, but I want to say orals really destroy either your kidneys or liver. Like, they're awful for you. If you're going to start a cycle, go with something injectable. Seriously.
Except injectables are illegal. All the federal government did with making injectables illegal, but orals legal was to push the kids and noobies to the more dangerous stuff. Don't believe me? Try taking orals for even one month and see how you feel. Even with the supposedly safer (non-methylated orals), you'll feel like you have one foot in the grave.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Re: the joint pain. I'm your age, and I take joint supplements. This one has helped me a lot.MRSupps.com : Forged Joint Repair

In my opinion, this is the best joint supplement on the market (I've tried them all). When I don't take it, my joints are achy like yours for no reason. I feel 20 years younger on it, if not, I feel like a bag of bones.

I've had chronic shoulder pain before, and it's always gone away. Just try to do exercises that cause the least amount of pain. Awhile back, for some reason, side laterals used to be excruciating for me. I started doing machine side laterals (for some reason, those didn't hurt).
re: machine laterals. You aren't using nearly the same stabilizer muscles when using assisted lifts, so it probably most likely wasn't your shoulder but one of the stabilizer muscles used to keep the arm neutral during the lift that isn't needed during the machine lift.

I'm always a little taken aback when I read that people take joint pain suppressants and illegal supplements and stuff when they aren't lifting for a living. I get that people want to be big and that's totally cool, but physically injuring yourself repeatedly (hint: that's what pain generally relates to) seems counter-productive to having an enjoyable hobby. It just seems like needless endangerment to me if the only thing riding on the line is a number you determine the worth of yourself and isn't measured against anyone. Whenever I get to the point where I feel joint pain (I'm 34, so a bit younger) or it honestly feels like I pulled a muscle or somehow injured myself, I don't even look at chemical solutions. I lay off the spot and see a medical professional to find out what went wrong, and the advice they give is always "Don't work that shit while it is healing" 100% of the time. Taking a supplement to keep pushing through obvious injuries seems like the quick way to needing a wheel chair or cane, or having to get help wiping your ass in your later years. None of that sounds particularly fun to me.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
re: machine laterals. You aren't using nearly the same stabilizer muscles when using assisted lifts, so it probably most likely wasn't your shoulder but one of the stabilizer muscles used to keep the arm neutral during the lift that isn't needed during the machine lift.

I'm always a little taken aback when I read that people take joint pain suppressants and illegal supplements and stuff when they aren't lifting for a living. I get that people want to be big and that's totally cool, but physically injuring yourself repeatedly (hint: that's what pain generally relates to) seems counter-productive to having an enjoyable hobby. It just seems like needless endangerment to me if the only thing riding on the line is a number you determine the worth of yourself and isn't measured against anyone. Whenever I get to the point where I feel joint pain (I'm 34, so a bit younger) or it honestly feels like I pulled a muscle or somehow injured myself, I don't even look at chemical solutions. I lay off the spot and see a medical professional to find out what went wrong, and the advice they give is always "Don't work that shit while it is healing" 100% of the time. Taking a supplement to keep pushing through obvious injuries seems like the quick way to needing a wheel chair or cane, or having to get help wiping your ass in your later years. None of that sounds particularly fun to me.
Training through (or should I say "around") injuries has always helped for me. I'm not going to the Doctor every time I get an ache or a pain. You say medical professionals say stop training? A guy who works for me is having MCL problems, the answer he got was to keep moving, and not stop using it.

No one here is saying use PED's. What I said is, if you are going to use PH's, you may as well use the real thing. Some guys want to get big so bad, that they don't listen to anyone. At least be intelligent about it and do some research. Over the years, I've seen so many guys in the gym doing stacks that don't make sense, or didn't even know what PCT was. Some of them ended up worse off than when they started juicing. In college I had a fraternity brother who was 6'2" and weight 150. He didn't work out regularly, and all of the sudden, decides to go on cycle. He gains 15 pounds from a cycle, and a pair of bitch tits. A month after the cycle, he'd lost like 20 pounds, for a net loss of -5. His diet was shit and he stopped working out. He also didn't do PCT.

You can't get hard work from a pill or needle. You can't have someone else do your work for you. There is no substitute for hard work.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I don't know, I found 50mil of anavar a day not only worked wonders but was pretty mild and easy to be on. The trouble is, its expensive as all fuck.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fair enough. I had no idea that testosterone came as anything except an injectable.

Edit: Does that shit work? It seems to get talked about pretty frequently on YouTube, but I've always assumed they're trying to sell it.