Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone recommend anything for home lifting equipment? I don't have a ton of space, nor think the floors here would support any kind of major bench/bar/rack, but the closest gym is a half hour drive and I can't be arsed to do that every day.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone recommend anything for home lifting equipment? I don't have a ton of space, nor think the floors here would support any kind of major bench/bar/rack, but the closest gym is a half hour drive and I can't be arsed to do that every day.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961

This guys voice is annoying as fuck, and, well, he's just annoying as fuck, but he really does know what he's talking about. Most of his workouts cost like $5 to set-up aside from the cost of the bells.

You could also invest in a TRX.

Rush

Silver Knight of the Realm
Good lord, that jack3d worked awesome. I'd really been struggling on motivation. Took my first dose today, ripped my workout a new asshole. 6 sets of bench ending with 325x4. Dumbbell incline 70's x 20 reps for 2 sets. Dumbbell rows superset with scarecrows. Trap bar shrugs. And at the end, I wanted some more...this shit is crack.

Rush

Silver Knight of the Realm
Can't wait to get back at it tomorrow!

Here is my routine, I teach Athletic PE at a high school so i usually have time to finish everything over my 3 class periods.
Max Effort - Upper Body
Bench Press
8-6-4+
DB Incline Press
2 sets of Max Reps
DB Rows
Superset 3x12
Scarecrows
Superset 3x12
Trap Bar Shrugs
3 sets of 12 reps
DB Curls
3 sets of 12 reps
Complete 6 Rounds of for time:
Hang Clean and Jerk x 8, Run 50 meters

Dynamic Effort - Lower Body
Depth Jumps
6 sets of 3 reps
Step-Ups
3 sets of 10 reps
Reverse Hypers
3 sets of 15 reps
Decline Situps
3 sets of 20 reps
Linear Speed 10 - 10's 6 - 20's 4 - 40's

Repitition - Upper Body
Weighted Dips
3 sets of max reps
Pullovers
Superset 3x12
Rear Delt Flyes
Superset 3x12
DB Military Press
3 sets of 12 reps
DB Shrugs
Superset 3x10
Seated Curls
Superset 3x10
Run 1 mile for time:

Max Effort - Lower Body
Deadlift
8-6-4+
Walking Lunges
3 sets of 10 reps
GHR Negatives
3 sets of 10 reps
Sprinter Situps x 15, V-Ups x 15, Toe Touches x 15, Hip Thrusts x 15
Circuit 2 times
Lateral Speed Pro Shuttle x 4 3 Cone x 4 Star Drill x 4

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tried low-bar squat today. First of all, it fucking rapes my shoulders since you have to pull your elbows back. They aren't flexible enough. Will stretches help? I've always had a limited range of motion in my shoulders. Probably because of so much computer gaming when young.

Second, I instantly went up 20lbs on my squat to 165. Wider stance as Rippetoe advocates. Definitely feels like my whole leg & ass is being worked rather than just ass/quads. It also felt like less of an impact on my knees, though since they are finicky, sample size of 1 isn't very telling. I'm gonna stick with this and try to stretch my shoulders in the meantime.
Low bar takes a bit of getting used to like anything else, but it should come quickly unless you're really inflexible. Regarding your knees you shouldnt feel anything at all. Make sure you shoot the knees out and they will track over your foot. The two big queues for me were knees out and back tight. Make believe there is a pencil right in the middle of your upper back just below your neck, tighten your shoulders / back to keep it there. Yeah stretching will help.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I tried low-bar squat today. First of all, it fucking rapes my shoulders since you have to pull your elbows back. They aren't flexible enough. Will stretches help? I've always had a limited range of motion in my shoulders. Probably because of so much computer gaming when young.

Second, I instantly went up 20lbs on my squat to 165. Wider stance as Rippetoe advocates. Definitely feels like my whole leg & ass is being worked rather than just ass/quads. It also felt like less of an impact on my knees, though since they are finicky, sample size of 1 isn't very telling. I'm gonna stick with this and try to stretch my shoulders in the meantime.
Shoulder problem on low bar squats improved, but still there. I wasn't squeezing my back enough. Still, I have to rotate my shoulders back beyond where they're comfortable. I'm hoping it's simply a matter of getting more flexible, because I'm loving the low bar and wider stance. Feels like the pressure on my knees is gone. They haven't been this good, this consistently, for this long, ever.
Dec 9:
Squat: 135(x5) - knees be hurtin again. Mother fuckers won't let me go past 135. This time I'm gonna be super cautious. I've had success, when knees are really tight at the beginning of the workout, of just doing warmups up to 95 or 115, then doing my other routine, then coming back to squats at the end for the real lift.
Clean & Press: 125(x4)
Bench: 185(x4) - skyrocketing lately. I don't know where the hell this is coming from. I've plateaued around 160 my entire life. Moving up to 4x8 for 2 months, then back to 5 reps a set really made a difference. Gonna hit this goal a month early probably. Having shoulder pain though on the right side, and in my neck on the right side just above the collar bone. Should I be worried about this?
Bent over row: 165(x5)
Deadlift: 245(x5) - goin to 255 next session - I should hit this goal 2nd, just behind bench
Jan 14 Goals:
Squat: 185
Clean&press: 135
Bench: 195
Bent over row: 185
Deadlift: 265 - New goal: 315

New Highs:
Squat (changed to low bar since Dec 9): 175x4
Press (no more clean): 125x3
Bench: 185x5
Row: 170x5
Deadlift: 275x4

Looks like I'll hit goals for squat and bench for sure. Deadlift and row unlikely. Press is 50/50

175lbs now. It's like I'm on steroids or something. I haven't had this much gain in lifts this fast ever, and I'm exploding in weight like a maniac. My body has always refused to gain weight. The only thing I changed is going from 5x5 to kind of pyramiding (not going down at the end though), and having knees healthy enough to finally get some really challenging squat & deadlift weights. After struggling for 2+ years getting my knees in shape, I'm so fucking excited every day I go to the gym now.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good to hear. Keep it going. Increase the weights each time even if it's just a small amount. 5 lbs on a squat or even 2.5 or a single pound once it gets really hard. Your body responds to stimulus, keep increasing the weight and you'll adapt by adding muscle and building strength.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
The human body still doesn't digest dairy correctly, so no matter what, if you eat tons of dairy, your ass is going to stank.
When I first started to squat a year ago, I was on gallon of milk of day. Holy anal fire.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I suck mad dick got my traps looking crazy. Gonna start jerking off guys to get my forearms up until then I'll just super set ball cradles while blowing guys

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've had the same workout program for a few years now (although my actual success at going to the gym regularly all year is pretty pathetic). I'm looking to change up two exercises and I was hoping maybe someone here would have a good idea.

For my chest/bi day, I currently do:

Flat Barbell Bench Press
EZ Barl Curl
Incline Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Hammer Curl

I'm wanting to swap out the incline dumbbell press. Firstly because I blame that exercise for fucking up my shoulder two years ago, which put me in my current state of going on/off to the gym ever since. Secondly, I'm wondering if there's another exercise that will hit my chest better to supplement the flat bench press. If incline dumbbell works, I can just be more careful about my shoulder. But if there's something else that'd be nice to try.

The second one I'm looking for help with is my back day:

Deadlift
Dumbbell Shrugs
Bentover Barbell Rows
Facepulls
Pullups

I'm wanting to change out the barbell rows for something else. I've tried doing one arm dumbbell rows, but both exercises make me incredibly light headed and I feel like I'm not really able to isolate my back from my biceps either.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've had the same workout program for a few years now (although my actual success at going to the gym regularly all year is pretty pathetic). I'm looking to change up two exercises and I was hoping maybe someone here would have a good idea.

For my chest/bi day, I currently do:

Flat Barbell Bench Press
EZ Barl Curl
Incline Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Hammer Curl

I'm wanting to swap out the incline dumbbell press. Firstly because I blame that exercise for fucking up my shoulder two years ago, which put me in my current state of going on/off to the gym ever since. Secondly, I'm wondering if there's another exercise that will hit my chest better to supplement the flat bench press. If incline dumbbell works, I can just be more careful about my shoulder. But if there's something else that'd be nice to try.

The second one I'm looking for help with is my back day:

Deadlift
Dumbbell Shrugs
Bentover Barbell Rows
Facepulls
Pullups

I'm wanting to change out the barbell rows for something else. I've tried doing one arm dumbbell rows, but both exercises make me incredibly light headed and I feel like I'm not really able to isolate my back from my biceps either.
If you are going to a gym do seated rows with weight machine designed for such. Or a cable machine. Or Pulldowns. I really don't like bentover barbell rows myself.

You can replace the incline dumbbell press with a inclined bench under a barbell machine, I find it much easier on the shoulder (no need for a spotter under a barbell machine unless you do doing zomgmax weights). Also, MEAT (Movement, Exercise, Analgesics and Treatments) is always better than RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation). I've found that working out my shoulders (military press, incline shoulder presses, etc) helps increases my bench. If you got a screwed up shoulder, start rehabbing it. It will interfere with your bench ultimately.

I also forgot to mention. Give up flat barbell bench press if you have a messed up shoulder and replace that with dumbbells. It is hard to maintain a natural shoulder position on flat barbell bench press, while dumbbells will usually automatically assume a natural posture.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not a resolution, per se, but I set some goals for the first two months of the year to start approaching where I was 2 years ago. Hopefully before summer I'll be all the way back. Putting this here as added motivation so maybe someone calls me out on it in two months.

So, before March hits, I want to be able to do sets of:

Squat: 3x5 at 225 (currently 155)
Deadlift: 1x5 at 315 (currently 225)
Bench Press: 3x5 at 170 (currently 125)
Military Press: 3x5 at 110 (currently 85)

My best workouts were sets of squats at 270, deadlift at 375, bench at 195, and press at 130; at 165 lbs body weight. I think I'm currently around 155-160.

My long term goal for the year is getting up to 180+ lbs.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
You better hit the juice. I kid I kid. Good luck with that but those are some big goals.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not a resolution, per se, but I set some goals for the first two months of the year to start approaching where I was 2 years ago.
I think those goals are doable considering you were at well above a couple of years ago. If you hit it hard for 2-3 months I think you'll be fine depending on how you eat.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've always read that going back to lifting is much easier than starting from scratch. Basically, my muscles are able to lift more than that already, they just need to be reconditioned.

Honestly, I'm only really worried about not hitting the bench and military press numbers. Mostly because I've just never been all that good at either.