Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So 405 for military presses? That's sick.
Yeah, my chest and shoulder strength are crazy, even I know that. Especially when you consider my height (6'3") and age (45). Now my legs...No matter what I do, I can't gain size on my calves. Rest of my legs are fine, nothing to write home about, but I look proportioned. Nor can I get that same strength as my upper body.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're being genuine, you're in the literal .001% of the world in terms of strength. Jeremy Hamilton almost passed out from a 330 OHP, and the dude is a fucking WR holder at 220.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I think 400# free weight over your shoulder is not humanly possible. We may be talking about different exercises.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The relationship between machine weights and free weights is basically random. I can usually do more on a machine, but I often find machines where I can't lift as much as I do with free weights.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, my chest and shoulder strength are crazy, even I know that. Especially when you consider my height (6'3") and age (45). Now my legs...No matter what I do, I can't gain size on my calves. Rest of my legs are fine, nothing to write home about, but I look proportioned. Nor can I get that same strength as my upper body.
Calves seem like the most genetically influenced muscle in the body, or so i hear from body builders.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Thought he meant 405 ohp on a machine. Which is like 250 in reality.
It doesn't work that way. It honestly depends on your stabilizer buildup. If you work out with heavy free weights and dumbells (which I do). AND machines, which I do...then that strength translates very well.

Example. My bench routine.

4 sets of flat x10 (315x10 as last set with a quick jump to 405 for a couple reps)
3 sets of incline bench x10 (185, 225,315)
3 sets of decline x10 (225, 315,325)

4 sets of bench machine x10. Little less than above in weights. I just throw plates and shit on the machines.
3 sets of incline bench machine x10. Pretty much the same weight.
3 sets of decline x10. MUCH lower weight, because now I am gassed.

Then cables or dumb bells. However I feel that day. Usually cables because I won't need a spot obviously.

As far as being in the .001 percent. Dude...maybe. In Boston, there are only 3 power gyms. 1 guy is definately stronger all around. He's a 28 year old country dude who I have seen bench 405 for 10 like it was nothing. There's me, and about 5 other dudes who are about equal...

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The relationship between machine weights and free weights is basically random. I can usually do more on a machine, but I often find machines where I can't lift as much as I do with free weights.
Don't know of any machines where I can lift less than free weights, but they do vary greatly from machine to machine at the very least.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah OHP means overhead press, not "one handed press" hah. 405 is still absurdly strong since professional strongmen are doing that with a little extra for competitions, but certainly not impossible.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Jesus Christ. Do you look like those guys? I cannot comprehend a 400 ohp. The world supply of steroids wouldn't even be enough for me to lift that.
No...I do not look like him. I'm built like the guy spotting him maybe? HELL yes dudes are on roids most of the time. Matter fact I honestly considered them prior to what I thought was Boston's big bench press competition (that turned out to be nothing). But I just don't care enough at the end of the day.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
It doesn't work that way. It honestly depends on your stabilizer buildup. If you work out with heavy free weights and dumbells (which I do). AND machines, which I do...then that strength translates very well.

Example. My bench routine.

4 sets of flat x10 (315x10 as last set with a quick jump to 405 for a couple reps)
3 sets of incline bench x10 (185, 225,315)
3 sets of decline x10 (225, 315,325)

4 sets of bench machine x10. Little less than above in weights. I just throw plates and shit on the machines.
3 sets of incline bench machine x10. Pretty much the same weight.
3 sets of decline x10. MUCH lower weight, because now I am gassed.

Then cables or dumb bells. However I feel that day. Usually cables because I won't need a spot obviously.

As far as being in the .001 percent. Dude...maybe. In Boston, there are only 3 power gyms. 1 guy is definately stronger all around. He's a 28 year old country dude who I have seen bench 405 for 10 like it was nothing. There's me, and about 5 other dudes who are about equal...
Yea I was in no way being serious about that comparison between the two, but I mean there's obviously a difference between the two just based on the stabilizers needed for free weights. I can rep 260 flat bench on a machine, but if I tried that shit on free weights I'd be screaming for someone to get the bar off my neck/chest.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yeah OHP means overhead press, not "one handed press" hah. 405 is still absurdly strong since professional strongmen are doing that with a little extra for competitions, but certainly not impossible.
Ohhhh!!! LOL. THAT'S what he was questioning! LOL. Dude...That's nuts.I'm like that really isn't THAT big a deal.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I doubt they make anything absurd as 405lb dumbbells and good luck balancing something like that on a barbell with one hand

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Seriously...If you are near Boston and want to get lifts in, guys are more than welcome to come to my gym or I can come to yours.