Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
My exams are on Thurs/Fri and then I'm done, so only a few more days until I explode in the campus gym
If you don't workout regularly now, you won't later on. What will you do at work, when it's crunch time? When I got out in the real world, there were times when the only downtime I had was to workout. I literally had to work every waking moment, other than the 45 minutes I had to hit the gym. And I was OK with that, as long I had some gym time.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I use the gym as a stress reliever. If for some reason I couldn't go, I'd have to find something else to replace it. I guess video games are a (poor) alternative.

I ordered my home gym stuff on Friday; all from Rogue.

R-3 Shorty Power Rack, includes j-cups, pull up bars (fat/skinny), band pegs, collars, and pin/pipe set
Ohio Power Bar (45 lb)
Bella 2.0 Women's Bar (15 kg)
Flat Utility Bench 2.0
Hi-Temp Bumper Plates, 260 lb set (45, 35, 25, 15, 10)
Change Plates, 35 lb set (10, 5, 2.5)

I was tempted to get a Texas Power Bar, but reading comparisons between the two, I decided to go with the Ohio. It sounds like the quality is similar, but the Ohio has less aggressive knurling (more like sandpaper than a rasp). Hopefully it'll be here in the next week.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
If you don't workout regularly now, you won't later on. What will you do at work, when it's crunch time? When I got out in the real world, there were times when the only downtime I had was to workout. I literally had to work every waking moment, other than the 45 minutes I had to hit the gym. And I was OK with that, as long I had some gym time.
I work out 3-4x a week, except during finals, been consistent for just about 10 years now (Im 28). When I was working full time before I went back to school it was no different.

I see your point but its not really the case. Not to mention I'm already pretty satisfied with my body/lift stats, a week or so off every few months doesn't hurt your gains as long as you keep a steady diet, which I'm good at.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I use the gym as a stress reliever. If for some reason I couldn't go, I'd have to find something else to replace it. I guess video games are a (poor) alternative.

I ordered my home gym stuff on Friday; all from Rogue.

R-3 Shorty Power Rack, includes j-cups, pull up bars (fat/skinny), band pegs, collars, and pin/pipe set
Ohio Power Bar (45 lb)
Bella 2.0 Women's Bar (15 kg)
Flat Utility Bench 2.0
Hi-Temp Bumper Plates, 260 lb set (45, 35, 25, 15, 10)
Change Plates, 35 lb set (10, 5, 2.5)

I was tempted to get a Texas Power Bar, but reading comparisons between the two, I decided to go with the Ohio. It sounds like the quality is similar, but the Ohio has less aggressive knurling (more like sandpaper than a rasp). Hopefully it'll be here in the next week.
/jelly

Nice stuff brotato

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll still need to go to my normal gym until I get more stuff, unfortunately. I use enough stuff that'd be way too expensive to buy outright. I'll try to adjust my workouts to do as much as possible at home, but mostly it'll be to avoid waiting on a power rack/bench press.

Dumbbells are probably the most expensive, and I'll try to adjust things like lat pulldown (weighted pullups), and leg extensions/curls (more squats/RDL/lunges maybe). Not sure how to replace cable low rows (I do bent rows w/ a barbell, and then cable rows), facepulls (only other way I know how to hit rear delts is reverse flies, and I don't have dumbbells), and calf raises.

I still need to find a good EZ curl bar for curls/skullcrushers. I'm kind of picky with what I like with them, so not sure if online shopping is something I can do. I'm also keeping an eye out for some used iron plates.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sports authority is shutting down, you should see if you can get any shit cheap from there.

Depends on what type of row you're performing. You could possibly do inverted rows and Yates rows if you're trying to hit lower lats (sorry I have no idea wtf cable low rows do).

Facepulls you need the rope, I don't see any other way around. You could possibly just buy some cheap bands and tether them around the power rack. Facepulls aren't really meant to build mass anyway, more of a prehab/rehab thing.

Fuck calves. But you can always do standing calf raises with the bar on your back.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good call on the Yates rows. Outside of something for rear delts, I should be able to do my whole shoulder/tricep workout at home I think.

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
So doing some very limited research in regards to building my STR stat I was leaning towards a 4 day 5/3/1 program. Ive done starting stregnth and SLs prior to the workout Ive been doing I posted a few pages back so idk anything about this. Is Wendler 5/3/1 program thing respectable or should I do something else

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good call on the Yates rows. Outside of something for rear delts, I should be able to do my whole shoulder/tricep workout at home I think.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...arDeltRow.html

So doing some very limited research in regards to building my STR stat I was leaning towards a 4 day 5/3/1 program. Ive done starting stregnth and SLs prior to the workout Ive been doing I posted a few pages back so idk anything about this. Is Wendler 5/3/1 program thing respectable or should I do something else
5/3/1 is a solid program. I'd recommend 5/3/1 BBB. Also, PHUL is a 4-day routine you may want to look into as well.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just finished up a probably 6 or 7 cycle (I did weeks 1-3, skipping the deload weeks -- so probably 18-21 weeks) 5/3/1 before starting my cut. I just kept doing my normal accessory work, however.

It definitely worked well. Hit a PR on bench press, and my squat is close to my PR but I'm almost 20 pound lighter.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's why I recommend BBB. It's got a ton of volume. But yeah just doing 5/3/1 in and of itself is bad, you need accessory work if you want to grow.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I work out 3-4x a week, except during finals, been consistent for just about 10 years now (Im 28). When I was working full time before I went back to school it was no different.

I see your point but its not really the case. Not to mention I'm already pretty satisfied with my body/lift stats, a week or so off every few months doesn't hurt your gains as long as you keep a steady diet, which I'm good at.
This is what you said. Stop acting like it was a scheduled layoff and focus up. And two weeks off is too much every semester.

Ive worked out TWICE in two weeks.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Potentially a combination of all three?

I would imagine the weights being insane-o heavy might contribute to pinching a nerve (though in my experience that usually means pain vs. numbness, and it's usually centered in the lower back vs. being a specific body part). Then again, you are in your 40's, it could be something trivial and your body just can't keep up with repairing the damage or something. Not a doctor, but if an entire body part is just "numb" you may want to schedule a doctor's appointment. He's almost 100% going to tell you not to bench 400lbs at all for a period of time, though.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Potentially a combination of all three?

I would imagine the weights being insane-o heavy might contribute to pinching a nerve (though in my experience that usually means pain vs. numbness, and it's usually centered in the lower back vs. being a specific body part). Then again, you are in your 40's, it could be something trivial and your body just can't keep up with repairing the damage or something. Not a doctor, but if an entire body part is just "numb" you may want to schedule a doctor's appointment. He's almost 100% going to tell you not to bench 400lbs at all for a period of time, though.
Life is not worth living then! Good bye Rerolled!

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Numb right shoulder. Nerve damage? Pinched nerve? Weights too heavy?
I went to see a Massage Therapist last week for my shoulders, and the pain is gone. I don't know what she did, but it worked. She hooked up some machine to them to lower the inflammation. And she did some weird thing where she got her fingers between the muscles. I've always been used to my shoulders being tight, ever since HS wrestling. They aren't tight now.

No happy ending though.