Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nah, the CNS burnout doesn't have much to do with TRT, if you are indeed having CNS related issues. Sadly, as you get older, and especially if you train hard, you are just going to have to lengthen your recovery periods to a degree. If it isn't by and large muscle soreness/fatigue, the best advice would be to extend the period of time between lifts, especially ones that hit the same area repeatedly. If it is locational muscle soreness? TRT might be something you could look into from a physician who knows you. Maybe it's not even really an issue in your case, but it might behoove you to talk to your doc about it. But legit CNS? My advice is to skip burnout ideas and instead set rep concepts. Yeah you go until fatigue, but the idea is to improve your set numbers (no clue what breakdown you use) until you are able to do whatever your standard set/rep setup is without being shaky/pushing the last reps. When that happens, up your weight incrementally and then go back to trying to hit that set number. It won't give you flashy numbers like 500lbs, but it will cut down on your overall burnout feelings to a degree. It's pretty basic lifting concept-wise though, and I'm sure you're probably doing it to some degree anyway. But in the end, if CNS is a thing, you are just going to have to space your workouts a little more appropriately to avoid having those down days/weeks.

My comment about the squat number was mostly just in comparison to the fact that you bench (machine wise) more than you squat, and that always comes up as a red flag for me hah. However, if you have lower back issues? Good plan not going nuts on something that might lead you to needing muscle relaxers just to stand up straight.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm just going to take a week off. I slept 11 hours last night, my body is telling me to get some rest.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Easiest barometer for overtraining is gauging your grip strength. It's the first thing to be sapped. Deadlifts suddenly suck? Bar slipping out of your hand? Probably fried your CNS.

CNS can be fried for any number of reasons, but yeah 11 hours of constant sleep? Your body is saying dude what the fuck.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Easiest barometer for overtraining is gauging your grip strength. It's the first thing to be sapped. Deadlifts suddenly suck? Bar slipping out of your hand? Probably fried your CNS.

CNS can be fried for any number of reasons, but yeah 11 hours of constant sleep? Your body is saying dude what the fuck.
Well shit on me. Was doing shoulder shrugs...Even with reverse grip I couldn't hold the bar with 495. Just kept slipping out. Makes sense, because I am worn the fuck out. Think next week, I'm with Lyrical. Will just take a week off.

As far as recovery goes, I have found a table spoon of glutamine has REALLY helped my recovery times. Especially for parts I hit twice a week.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

My wife had to get me up, this is the third day in a row I couldn't get out of bed. And I'm usually an early riser. I'm not noticing any loss of grip. But like I said, there's this feeling of being dizzy/disoriented. I also have been increasing my volume.

It's OK, I feel better today. It's just time for a break.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well shit on me. Was doing shoulder shrugs...Even with reverse grip I couldn't hold the bar with 495. Just kept slipping out. Makes sense, because I am worn the fuck out. Think next week, I'm with Lyrical. Will just take a week off.

As far as recovery goes, I have found a table spoon of glutamine has REALLY helped my recovery times. Especially for parts I hit twice a week.
I might try some glutamine.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Best app for logging workouts these days? Feel like I'm doing myself a disservice by not doing this.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
A pen and paper at the gym.

Unless you want to carry around a tablet with you at the gym it's way too easy to forgetexactlywhat you did after the fact.

And if you want a searchable, digital record just put it into a spreadsheet after you get home.

That probably sounds stupid but I don't think there's a better way honestly. The interfaces on all the sites that log both food and workouts suck compared to a plain old google doc.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's probably been 2 months since I built my gym, but I'm too lazy to make a big post with the details/pictures. I'll try to do it this weekend.

Anyway, only reason for this post is to let anyone know that might be considering a gym that Rogue has a bunch of bars cheap on theircloseoutsection. The Ohio Power Bar, which I fucking love, is only $233.75 right now (S&H not included).

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
A particular protein powder has been mentioned in this or other threads before, but I can't find the post. What's a good, cheap, tasty protein powder? Typically I just do vanilla. I'm finally running out of the massive tub I bought at Costco a few years back.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've tried quite a few brands, and so far Cellucor is the best tasting for the price. It's a bit expensive, but they generally have good deals (You just missed a buy one get one 4 lb tub. Worked out to about $53 for 8 pounds shipped). Then again, I've never tried their vanilla.

Cinnamon Swirl, Peanut Butter Marshmallow, Molten Chocolate, and Cookies and Cream were/are all amazing though. Wasn't a huge fan of Birthday Cake, but it was comparable to ProNom's which was one of the better tasting non-Cellucor brands I've had.

Ranking the brands I've tried, I'd say:
1. Cellucor
2. ProNom
3. Optimum Nutrition
4. BSN
5. Trutein - This was awful, do not recommend

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really think you can't beat optimum based on price, macros, and taste.

There's powders better at each of those, but the combination? I think it's the best. Plus buying 10 pound bags is convenient as balls.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Alright, so my gym is basically done. I would still like some dumbbells, but they're just so prohibitively expensive. For now, I think kettlebells are a good substitute. I want to buy a 20, 30, 40, 45, and 50 pound kettlebell still. I'd also like to get another set or two of 45 pound plates. Rogue has absolutely blown me away. Everything we've bought has been superb quality, and their shipping is heavy on making sure nothing ends up arriving dinged up. You can absolutely tell they take pride in being high quality. I'm hoping they don't end up going with a cheap Chinese product in the future, because right now they're killing it.

I'll spoiler this since it's going to be a massive post, with links to everything in case someone wants to build their own gym.

VjJHiXL.jpg

Our gym is built in a converted 3rd car garage, and measures 10' x 26'. It was covered in nasty carpet and had an off-center ceiling fan (the plug the wall mounted fan is plugged into was about a foot to the left of where the fan was). I removed the fan and installed 6LED Can LightswithHyperikon 4k LED Lights. Somehow I ended up directly centering everything, so unfortunately there is a light directly above the rack. Which means bench pressing you're staring into a 4k light. And 4k lights are bright as fuck. I really like the lights though, but man are they fucking bright. The LED are nice though because we don't have AC in the gym right now so it keeps it cooler. I think we'll end up buying an AC unit for the gym soon.

The flooring is a layer of 3/4 inch plywood, covered with3/4" horse stall matsfrom Tractor Supply. These seem to be the recommended gym flooring just above anywhere you look. And at $40 a piece, they're decently cheap. The lifting platform is 3/4" maple plywood cut down to 42" (from 48"), as I read that this works better so the plates don't hit the platform. The purpose of the plywood underlayment is to have something to anchor the power rack into, since the R-3 needs it for stability. I believe the R-4 (and other larger racks) does not need to be bolted down.

Themirror(far right) is from Home Depot, as are the white boards (on each side of mirror). I can't remember what the white boards are called (probably melamine?), but they come in plywood sized sheets (we cut it in half) and are in the lumber section. Mounted everything with plastic mirror mounting clips. To the left of the mirror are someSPRI 25 and 35 pound Vinyl Kettlebellsand 5 and 10 pound dumbbells which are probably from Walmart or Dicks. I really like these kettlebells, despite being a very anti-kettlebell person. I do hammer curls (probably the hardest due to weight distribution), side lateral raises, and a "facepull-type row."

We have aLorell Wall Mount Fanthat I usually have pointed at the rack. This thing moves a LOT of air.

The elliptical is a Schwinn 430 (I'd link, but this is a much older model). We've had it for something like 9 or 10 years and it still works great. Also in the back of the room is afoam roller(I also have aTriggerPoint Foam Rollerthat I like much better),"the stick", a bosu ball, and some PVC (Home Depot). I setup a wall mounted TV and speakers with crap I had laying around, which I use Plex for streaming music. I'd like to get some ceiling mounted speakers and maybe a sub.

DPqBoOz.jpg

1Rogue Flat Utility Bench- Sturdy as hell, and it shipped free with the rack, making it cheaper than any other options we saw. It's a bit wider than I'm used to (wider than bench press stations), but I'm getting used to it. Also, just to point it out, but if you order a Rogue rack, you can get a bench, bar, and weights with free shipping.

2 Cut a 4' 2x4 and mounted it to the wall with 4 lag bolts (due to weight).
3Amertac Vinyl Hooks- Only including these because I had a hard time finding hooks big enough. Definitely recommended for this type of application.
4Best Belt Athlete- Bought this a few years ago. Custom sized, 4" 2 prong belt. Seriously worth the money, and incredibly high quality. Mine was like $80 3 years ago.
5Harbinger Leather Dip Belt- I bought one of these like 6 or 7 years ago. It's held up incredibly well over the years.
6 Bands - Not sure where we got these, but they're probably 5-10 lb and 10-20 lb resistance or thereabouts.
7Rogue Vertical Bar Hanger- Attached with lag bolts. I think I prefer this over horizontal storage.
8XMark 47" EZ Curl Bar- Conflicted on this one. The feel of the bar is great, and the angles seem good. But like lot of the reviews, I got one with uneven angles (one side is straighter than the other). It's usable, but man the quality control on these is shit. I can't recommend buying one as I ended up getting two with the exact same problem.
9Rogue Bella Women's Bar- 35lb Bar, for the wife for her Crossfit stuff. I kind of like the iron oxide. This is an olympic bar, so if I ever decide to do stuff like cleans and snatches, I'll probably use it instead of the power bar.
10Rogue Ohio Power Bar- 45lb Bar. This bar is fucking amazing (especially for the price). I mentioned before that the knurl is like sandpaper, but it's actually not as aggressive as I thought. But it sticks to your hands like glue. My worry about my shins was relieved due to it being a power bar, so there's no knurling in a large enough area to not hit your legs.
11SPRI Resistance Band w/ Handles- I'm not sure we even use this thing.
12 Wrist Wraps - Harbinger and Valeo branded ones. I really like the Valeo ones as they're broken in, but the new bar is chewing through it fast.

13 Built 2 boxes (one on each side) to store the bumper plates (planshere). Used 2x6's, with 1x4's to divide in the middle. I considered getting pegs, but because of the depth of the rack I wouldn't be able to use it with plates sticking out. I then thought about just mounting them to studs, but this was a much cheaper and easier (no drilling into more studs) option.
14Rogue Hi-Temp Bumper Plates- 260 lb set (2x ea 45's, 35's, 25's, 15's, 10's). My wife wanted the 15's and I thought I'd never use them, but I do surprisingly often. I used paint markers to color them in to differentiate better (45's Blue, 35's Yellow, 25's Green, 15/10's White). I wish I had gone with thecompetition platesfor like an extra $500 (to get 4x45's, and 2x everything else). Those fuckers look awesome, and they have the same feel as the change plates (15 below).
15Rogue Change Plates- 35 lb set (2x ea 10's, 5's, 2.5's). These are great. They actually help keep the bumper plates from slipping.

Power Systems Pulley Bar- Bought for T-Bar Rows. This thing is VERY high quality. It's a bit heavier than I'm used to, but great buy. I somehow didn't get this in any of the pictures (it's behind the one bumper plate box, can kinda see it in a few pics).

nLJMcRX.jpg

1Rogue R-3 Power Rack (Shorty)- Safety bars (2),j-cups(3),band pegs(4),HG collars(5), and skinny/fat pullup bars (6) included. We went shorty for pullups, but bought the other pullup bar later. I wish we had bought the normal height one now, so I could do standing press inside the rack. The 36" depth took some getting used to, but it's plenty for every lift. The HG collars made me nervous, but I really like these things. They're plastic, but they work WAY better than clips. They also don't scratch the bar.
7Rogue Landmine- I love this thing. Use it for T-bar rows, and landmine press.
8Rogue Infinity Matador- Awesome attachment for dips. Really easy to attach/detach from the rack.

vWElfHm.jpg

1Titan Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar- Got this so we could have a sturdier, taller pull up bar. This thing is legit solid. Then again, it's held in by 30 lag bolts. Used 6 2x6's bolted to the wall. I should also point out that there is a beam in the way there, but we have higher ceilings going into the next room. So that's actually a 10 foot ceiling where the pullup bar is. You can also see that there's a good bit of floor space for whatever retarded shit we need to do outside of the rack.
2 My wife is a Crossfitter, so I build her a plyo box (planshere).

And finally, a bit better picture of the right wall.

YPPmbKz.jpg

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Alright, so my gym is basically done. I would still like some dumbbells, but they're just so prohibitively expensive. For now, I think kettlebells are a good substitute. I want to buy a 20, 30, 40, 45, and 50 pound kettlebell still. I'd also like to get another set or two of 45 pound plates. Rogue has absolutely blown me away. Everything we've bought has been superb quality, and their shipping is heavy on making sure nothing ends up arriving dinged up. You can absolutely tell they take pride in being high quality. I'm hoping they don't end up going with a cheap Chinese product in the future, because right now they're killing it.

I'll spoiler this since it's going to be a massive post, with links to everything in case someone wants to build their own gym.

VjJHiXL.jpg

Our gym is built in a converted 3rd car garage, and measures 10' x 26'. It was covered in nasty carpet and had an off-center ceiling fan (the plug the wall mounted fan is plugged into was about a foot to the left of where the fan was). I removed the fan and installed 6LED Can LightswithHyperikon 4k LED Lights. Somehow I ended up directly centering everything, so unfortunately there is a light directly above the rack. Which means bench pressing you're staring into a 4k light. And 4k lights are bright as fuck. I really like the lights though, but man are they fucking bright. The LED are nice though because we don't have AC in the gym right now so it keeps it cooler. I think we'll end up buying an AC unit for the gym soon.

The flooring is a layer of 3/4 inch plywood, covered with3/4" horse stall matsfrom Tractor Supply. These seem to be the recommended gym flooring just above anywhere you look. And at $40 a piece, they're decently cheap. The lifting platform is 3/4" maple plywood cut down to 42" (from 48"), as I read that this works better so the plates don't hit the platform. The purpose of the plywood underlayment is to have something to anchor the power rack into, since the R-3 needs it for stability. I believe the R-4 (and other larger racks) does not need to be bolted down.

Themirror(far right) is from Home Depot, as are the white boards (on each side of mirror). I can't remember what the white boards are called (probably melamine?), but they come in plywood sized sheets (we cut it in half) and are in the lumber section. Mounted everything with plastic mirror mounting clips. To the left of the mirror are someSPRI 25 and 35 pound Vinyl Kettlebellsand 5 and 10 pound dumbbells which are probably from Walmart or Dicks. I really like these kettlebells, despite being a very anti-kettlebell person. I do hammer curls (probably the hardest due to weight distribution), side lateral raises, and a "facepull-type row."

We have aLorell Wall Mount Fanthat I usually have pointed at the rack. This thing moves a LOT of air.

The elliptical is a Schwinn 430 (I'd link, but this is a much older model). We've had it for something like 9 or 10 years and it still works great. Also in the back of the room is afoam roller(I also have aTriggerPoint Foam Rollerthat I like much better),"the stick", a bosu ball, and some PVC (Home Depot). I setup a wall mounted TV and speakers with crap I had laying around, which I use Plex for streaming music. I'd like to get some ceiling mounted speakers and maybe a sub.

DPqBoOz.jpg

1Rogue Flat Utility Bench- Sturdy as hell, and it shipped free with the rack, making it cheaper than any other options we saw. It's a bit wider than I'm used to (wider than bench press stations), but I'm getting used to it. Also, just to point it out, but if you order a Rogue rack, you can get a bench, bar, and weights with free shipping.

3Amertac Vinyl Hooks- Only including these because I had a hard time finding hooks big enough. Definitely recommended for this type of application.
4Best Belt Athlete- Bought this a few years ago. Custom sized, 4" 2 prong belt. Seriously worth the money, and incredibly high quality. Mine was like $80 3 years ago.
5Harbinger Leather Dip Belt- I bought one of these like 6 or 7 years ago. It's held up incredibly well over the years.
6 Bands - Not sure where we got these, but they're probably 5-10 lb and 10-20 lb resistance or thereabouts.
7Rogue Vertical Bar Hanger- Attached with lag bolts. I think I prefer this over horizontal storage.
8XMark 47" EZ Curl Bar- Conflicted on this one. The feel of the bar is great, and the angles seem good. But like lot of the reviews, I got one with uneven angles (one side is straighter than the other). It's usable, but man the quality control on these is shit. I can't recommend buying one as I ended up getting two with the exact same problem.
9Rogue Bella Women's Bar- 35lb Bar, for the wife for her Crossfit stuff. I kind of like the iron oxide. This is an olympic bar, so if I ever decide to do stuff like cleans and snatches, I'll probably use it instead of the power bar.
10Rogue Ohio Power Bar- 45lb Bar. This bar is fucking amazing (especially for the price). I mentioned before that the knurl is like sandpaper, but it's actually not as aggressive as I thought. But it sticks to your hands like glue. My worry about my shins was relieved due to it being a power bar, so there's no knurling in a large enough area to not hit your legs.
12 Wrist Wraps - Harbinger and Valeo branded ones. I really like the Valeo ones as they're broken in, but the new bar is chewing through it fast.

13 Built 2 boxes (one on each side) to store the bumper plates (planshere). Used 2x6's, with 1x4's to divide in the middle. I considered getting pegs, but because of the depth of the rack I wouldn't be able to use it with plates sticking out. I then thought about just mounting them to studs, but this was a much cheaper and easier (no drilling into more studs) option.
14Rogue Hi-Temp Bumper Plates- 260 lb set (2x ea 45's, 35's, 25's, 15's, 10's). My wife wanted the 15's and I thought I'd never use them, but I do surprisingly often. I used paint markers to color them in to differentiate better (45's Blue, 35's Yellow, 25's Green, 15/10's White). I wish I had gone with thecompetition platesfor like an extra $500 (to get 4x45's, and 2x everything else). Those fuckers look awesome, and they have the same feel as the change plates (15 below).
15Rogue Change Plates- 35 lb set (2x ea 10's, 5's, 2.5's). These are great. They actually help keep the bumper plates from slipping.

Power Systems Pulley Bar- Bought for T-Bar Rows. This thing is VERY high quality. It's a bit heavier than I'm used to, but great buy. I somehow didn't get this in any of the pictures (it's behind the one bumper plate box, can kinda see it in a few pics).

nLJMcRX.jpg

1Rogue R-3 Power Rack (Shorty)- Safety bars (2),j-cups(3),band pegs(4),HG collars(5), and skinny/fat pullup bars (6) included. We went shorty for pullups, but bought the other pullup bar later. I wish we had bought the normal height one now, so I could do standing press inside the rack. The 36" depth took some getting used to, but it's plenty for every lift. The HG collars made me nervous, but I really like these things. They're plastic, but they work WAY better than clips. They also don't scratch the bar.
8Rogue Infinity Matador- Awesome attachment for dips. Really easy to attach/detach from the rack.

vWElfHm.jpg

1Titan Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar- Got this so we could have a sturdier, taller pull up bar. This thing is legit solid. Then again, it's held in by 30 lag bolts. Used 6 2x6's bolted to the wall. I should also point out that there is a beam in the way there, but we have higher ceilings going into the next room. So that's actually a 10 foot ceiling where the pullup bar is. You can also see that there's a good bit of floor space for whatever retarded shit we need to do outside of the rack.

YPPmbKz.jpg
That's awesome as shit

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

VjJHiXL.jpg

DPqBoOz.jpg

nLJMcRX.jpg

vWElfHm.jpg

YPPmbKz.jpg
Woah...Nice. I would be in there 2x a day. Damn I am jelly.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm quite happy with it. We spent a bit more than we wanted (probably about $3500; our aim was $3000), but I think it was worth it (included stuff like the landmine, matador, and kettlebells).

I have had to change my routine a bit, as mentioned a few times, to accommodate the "lack" of equipment (machines/dumbbells/incline bench) but it's not a huge deal.

It's really nice to just jump in there whenever I want without having to worry about competing for equipment, driving to the gym, and inconvenient hours. Plus, working out without a shirt on is a huge ego boost. On back day for instance, I look fucking huge, and that's great for motivation.