Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

My chest routine is 3 benches. Flat/Incline/Declines. Press machines. Flat/Incline/Declines. Cables. Straight/upper/lower.

Instead of machines, do dumbells.

As for the power snatch, I just don't know why anyone would want to do that exercise. What does it work that you couldn't do with a "safer" exercise.
Pretty much your whole body. It's safe if you are doing it right. It's a skill movement and anyone who does cleans/snatches and variations of them and does them properly is a strong motherfucker.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Sorry, I'm not a doctor, so I confused it with one of your other 18 injures. You know, this nonsense:

Let's just be honest. You aren't going to let either one heal. You are going to try and work around it. Have fun.
You criticized me for something that you were completely wrong about - 2 things, in fact. Then when I call you out on it, you try to insult me further by making baseless assumptions.

Stick to giving weight lifting advice. You're not good for much else

You criticized me for something that you were completely wrong about - 2 things, in fact. Then when I call you out on it, you try to insult me further by making baseless assumptions.

Stick to giving weight lifting advice. You're not good for much else
I was wrong about the name of your injury. I apologize wholeheartedly, but between your real injuries, your fake injuries, your self diagnosed injuries, the injury diagnoses of others, it adds up and gets muddled.

Life of a goofy forum poster:

Ask for advice from your imaginary Internet friends.
Get criticized for your horrible idea.
Refuse to take even the most sound advice.
Nerd rage.
Carry out your original idea anyway.
Nerd rage, hate the world because they are out to get you.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You probably say that because you assume you should start out by trying them at 300lbs, given your other lifts. This obviously is completely wrong, because your stabilizer muscles, and muscles in general aren't used to the movement, so you'd start out under 100lbs and be just fine.

-edit- or rather, you're right to say "fuck no" if you're assuming the 300lbs thing. Nobody begins Oly lifts at high weights, they take awhile to get figured out.

Noahx

N00b
Fun thread. I use to be into benching and all that crazy equipment stuff. Now I keep it simple and easy with dumbells and pushups. I went down this route after analyzing why I kept falling out of my routine, excuses. Can't afford it - nope, this is cheap. I don't to deal with traffic or have time to drive to the gym - nope, I can do all this at my house. Now I just use various p90 workouts to hit chest, arms, legs, back etc... simple, easy, cheap, efficient.

Results so far... I love pushups (do buy pushup bars if you can) and do 100s a day. Injury / pain has been avoided because im not pushing to hard or using crap that is not really that natural.

Its working well but it wont pack on tons of mass.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Soooo. I tried the power snatches today with 135. Took me quite a few attempts to get the technique down, but they aren't that bad at that weight. They just wear you the fuck out. Felt more like a cardio workout than a strength thing. But I'm sure if you increase the weight...

Really isn't my thing though, so I will pass.

I made the mistake today of being cordial with a guy that I see every day at the gym, and never really speak to (I keep my headphones on, and eyes down). I asked what he was working on today, he was doing arms, same as me, and christ sake I got stuck with this dude for an hour and a half...ON ARMS. Dude had to tell me his life story! Never again. Never again.

My Schwarzeniggadick pic bitches.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Soooo. I tried the power snatches today with 135. Took me quite a few attempts to get the technique down, but they aren't that bad at that weight. They just wear you the fuck out. Felt more like a cardio workout than a strength thing. But I'm sure if you increase the weight...

Really isn't my thing though, so I will pass.

I made the mistake today of being cordial with a guy that I see every day at the gym, and never really speak to (I keep my headphones on, and eyes down). I asked what he was working on today, he was doing arms, same as me, and christ sake I got stuck with this dude for an hour and a half...ON ARMS. Dude had to tell me his life story! Never again. Never again.

My Schwarzeniggadick pic bitches.
An hour and a half on arms? Yikes. How tall are you? You look pretty wide. I also tried the snatches after watching that video... maybe I'm just not use to that movement, or not that strong, but I struggled to do more than the first 3... haha. I can see the appeal in Crossfit, but its also not for me.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
An hour and a half on arms? Yikes. How tall are you? You look pretty wide. I also tried the snatches after watching that video... maybe I'm just not use to that movement, or not that strong, but I struggled to do more than the first 3... haha. I can see the appeal in Crossfit, but its also not for me.
I'm 6'3". You must be a crazy mofo to want to do that Crossfit. BUT, the results are nuts. It turns chicks that are 5's or 6's into dimes. The cost is a little outrageous also. 300 bucks a month is too steep for workouts.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Most boxes around here are ~100 a month. Still expensive, but jesus, 300?

Luckily I have a Gold's Gym that has basically anything a crossfit gym has access to, so I can do crossfit workouts there for 20 bucks a month. Suck it!

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
I miss the dungeons that were plenty and cheap in Queens and L.I.

Everything around here is machines only or $90 a month. I'm still stuck working out at home with Kettlebells and a pull up bar. I just want a place to do squats and deadlifts.

I went down to 185 and now I would like to gain some mass. Probably 200-205, but I feel very limited without heavy weights.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Most boxes around here are ~100 a month. Still expensive, but jesus, 300?

Luckily I have a Gold's Gym that has basically anything a crossfit gym has access to, so I can do crossfit workouts there for 20 bucks a month. Suck it!
I'm paying 80 a month where I go. FD discount (just a dispatcher, but who the fuck cares).

Didn't get a chance to do 13.4 today, was on the road all day, so going to attempt it tomorrow. Doubt I'll do RX weight though, would rather get a hard workout in with good form rather than fucking up my form just to get the clean.

I'm only about 7 months into this, and the results have been pretty impressive. Could barely do 1 pull-up when I started, now I've almost got muscle ups down, and have no problem with stringing together 10-15 pull-ups at a time (CrossFit kip style anyway). I'm 6'4", 185ish doing this shit, and it's pretty rough. It helps that I did a month of pure Paleo eating in there (not going to argue the benefits / negatives of it, could care less what other people eat; I ate like shit before hand, and eat much better now, not to mention I dropped from 210 to 185, and lost about 3 inches).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I miss the dungeons that were plenty and cheap in Queens and L.I.

Everything around here is machines only or $90 a month. I'm still stuck working out at home with Kettlebells and a pull up bar. I just want a place to do squats and deadlifts.

I went down to 185 and now I would like to gain some mass. Probably 200-205, but I feel very limited without heavy weights.
Geez, how tall are you? You look like you've got low bodyfat, but from that picture almost no muscle. Not sure how you're 185 unless you're like 6'3"+ or something.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
6'1". Its a shitty pic with a shitty camera I have long legs which probably account for a lot of my weight.

edit: also the lighting is deceptive of my left pec. I was over 300lbsatone point and developed gyno so in that pic it sorta looks like there is no mass but there is.

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
Well my feeling of "I don't think its as bad as they are telling me" didn't pan out unfortunately; 50% of my tendon was detached from the bone so now its time to focus on healing to get myself back in the gym ASAP.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Geez, how tall are you? You look like you've got low bodyfat, but from that picture almost no muscle. Not sure how you're 185 unless you're like 6'3"+ or something.
Dude has no fat man. But you can see definition no doubt.

/gay off

For strictly Crossfit gym in Boston, you pay a minimum of 200 bucks. If your gym is the total package...300 or more.

The big Crossfit gym in Southie is strictly Crossfit, and like 300. But from what I understand you get a lot from that. Personal trainers, nutritionists etc.