Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon (FromSoftware)

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Did him on NG+ and basically farmed him with the melee weapon that charges at people. But the Malenia bosses... this did not work so well. :(
1693195718631.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I find it a bit silly that laser weapons shoot slow-ass projectiles that enemies like those fuckers in chapter 3 that stay in the air forever while constantly dodging AND hiding behind a shield can dodge infinitely, while gatling guns shoot bullets that are just shy of being hitscan.

Laser shotguns do fuck up just about everything else though.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I find it a bit silly that laser weapons shoot slow-ass projectiles that enemies like those fuckers in chapter 3 that stay in the air forever while constantly dodging AND hiding behind a shield can dodge infinitely, while gatling guns shoot bullets that are just shy of being hitscan.

Laser shotguns do fuck up just about everything else though.
Certainly overwhelmed with choice on early weapons, laser rifle/pistol/bigger cannon, shoulder cannons etc.

Most of the charge weapons though seem clunky due to interupting some of your mobility, seems easier to focus on just spam weapons and missiles though I'm of course just past the dam/mining etc.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
The charge weapons feel bad unless you're on a tank or in hover mode on quads. And I got super frustrated by the quads because it was difficult to cancel hover mode, or not accidentally go into while trying to move around or panic dodge something. And the charge mode takes more ammo than just single shooting it so it felt like a waste to use that much more ammo for not a commensurate increase in damage.

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game is great, replay value to go back and clear missions for logs.... all good until you have to fight sea spider again!

Vorph

Game is great, replay value to go back and clear missions for logs.... all good until you have to fight sea spider again!
Sea spider was one of the easier ones for my default AC. Tetra legs made the first phase easy and trivialized the second, and plasma rifles and songbirds do enough damage to stagger it so that you almost never have to touch the ground while it's fighting back.

The game crashed on me after all the cutscene stuff at the end of the mission and I wasn't even that mad... until I realized I had to redo actually getting to the boss too.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Midway through ch 3, what's this Malenia missile bosses bs...no likee the sound of that

Mostly lasers and bullshit wide energy attacks. Ended going full tank mode and just all aggro, luckily it overheats super quick so if you never stop going in you interrupt the bullshit.
Ending spoilers
fought Areya for last boss she was worse than previous boss mentioned above but I had more tools to deal with her. Trying to get the allmind boss this play through but honestly no idea how I do that. There is also a Walter ending and like 4 known others.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I highly recommend at least attempting to kill Michigan the battle is insane and his quipes are good times.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For different endings do you have to stay a new play through completely from scratch or can line new game plus and at least have all your unlock progression

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
For different endings do you have to stay a new play through completely from scratch or can line new game plus and at least have all your unlock progression

It auto loads NG+(Keep all your stuff including cash and unlocks) and pretty sure like Nier Automata you have to beat the game to get alternate missions and endings.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I'm following these mission chains in my NG+ since I got the "bad" ending my first go around.

Edit: I've also seen some tank boss on a couple of streams, and I've not encountered it either. So there is clearly a mission choice I've made twice now that has resulted in me skipping that encounter.

I did have two different missions, from I assume one mission choice earlier, in my NG+ that resulted in 3v1 AC combat that I didn't have in my first playthrough.

1693238387438.png

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Goddamn you Balteus. Closest I've gotten to beating him was on a melee/shotty reverse leg build. I can't even get to phase 2 with a tank or tetra.

Clearly I need to git gud fgt.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm stuck on Balteus too! Love the game, but even as a Souls veteran, i suck at this one. I get so lost with the camera angles some times!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm stuck on Balteus too! Love the game, but even as a Souls veteran, i suck at this one. I get so lost with the camera angles some times!
Not to be that guy but he was easy as fuck, dodge toward him, stay close and most of his kit is useless. Was still using my reverse knee fast shotgun build against him. Pretty sure I didn’t have the pile bunker yet so the two attack lazer sword is the move against his shield.

Vorph

Bringing two charges of assault armor really helps too. It does huge damage to his shield and gets rid of any incoming missiles, just make sure to use it right after he finishes a move or you're liable to waste it as the activation isn't exactly instant. Quick tip for core expansions: in the options you can change it to L3+R3, I think that's much easier to press quickly than the default setting.

Also, I think the pulse guns you can buy just before you get to that boss are a newb trap. The game makes you think they're what you need to bring to beat it, but they're such shitty weapons that they end up making it harder. IIRC I swapped out one of my plasma rifles for the pulse blade but kept both plasma launchers. Went with a fast AC setup since tetra legs really don't help you here.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Never played an AC game before; watching videos of it it looks super frantic. Also, so much gray, my goodness. Does the environment ever appeal?

These games are dark and apocalyptic in tone and they really beat you over the head with it. Lot of cold colors and metals. I'm sure it gets a lot prettier, that Asmongold video seems to have some areas with fire and lava or something.

And the other games were great games to pick up for 15 dollars in a bin at Gamestop. Maybe the best games to pick out of a bin at Gamestop.

They were not great 60 dollar games.

Boy, I'd love to find any Armored Core games for $15 in a bin somewhere now... They're all $100-200 used at this point and generally very hard to emulate, outside of maybe the PS1 trio.

Game is a great mech game to say the least. Finally have some time to really play it today. They blasted the difficulty level way up compared to the other AC games, at least the early ones that I'm familiar with, which is both good and bad.

What's a good early-game weapon to go for? Bazooka?

I'm gonna get the generator and maybe core upgraded first, then a new weapon. Can't decide if I want to have Terminator HK treads or stick with a humanoid mech.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
lol guess I'll be looking through my old totes tonight.

Yeah, if I had a bunch of old ACs... well, I'd try to play them first, but then I'd put 'em on Ebay and roll in some easy dough. The only one I was able to get for a non-insulting price was AC1, thanks to the PS3 Playstation Store.

Ayo hold up, I can't sell any of the default equipment? Got a Bazooka, tried to sell my normal rifle that's no longer equipped, can't because it doesn't even show up on the list. In AC1 you could sell off any parts you wanted, and I'd usually sell radar and a couple other things to get a laser rifle. I guess removing the ability to sell your starter parts does keep noobs from softlocking their game though.

Vorph

If you have a Vita you should still be able to buy/acquire the AC3 series, and if you still have an actual PS3 you can buy AC5 but given that it's primarily a multiplayer game that had the servers shutdown about a decade ago I don't know why anyone would want to.

And yeah, I don't think you can sell starter gear, but for everything else the buy and sell prices are always the same. So if you're ever short on COAM when new stuff unlocks just sell shit you don't use rather than run an extra mission. If you need it again at some point you've still lost nothing. It makes trying out guns that turn out to be shitty a lot less painful too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user