Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon (FromSoftware)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The trailer oozes style

Saturday Night Live Love GIF by The Lonely Island

• 7Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I played the first one on PS1 a LOT, the soundtrack was incredible. But then when I replayed it on PS3 there was hardly any music in it. I think the stage music wasn't being recognized or something.

I listened to the soundtracks of AC2 and AC3, IIRC AC3's was all sad and emotional like the game took place in a nuclear war or something. Never played past AC1.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Miyazaki and a Post-Souls crew can do with the AC concept now.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, that sounds like the name a high school kid would give a game.

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's the best way to get caught up on playing this series?

I've only played Armored Core 1. I'd love to replay it if it got remastered, but early PS1 3D would be tough to go back to at this point. Tremendous game though.

I'd like to play AC2, 3, 4, and 5 before 6 comes out. Figure I've got about a year on that. Any crucial or worthy spinoffs I should also play? Any remasters or superior versions?

What'd really be nice is if they released a collection for modern consoles. It looks like I'll need to dust off the PS2 and PS3 for all of these.

Also what's the difference between Armored Core 3 and Silent Line: Armored Core 3? Is SL a sequel/part two of AC3, a definitive version, or what?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’d probably start with the newest and work backwards until they sucked. Despite playing the shit out of them since AC1, the older you get the rougher they are. Laggy, very rough graphics, and fuckin wonky controls. Panning the camera up and down with RB and LB takes some skill I no longer possess.

As far as story and continuity…I don’t really remember anything other than being a merc. Not sure if the order matters or not.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you're going to play any of the early AC titles you have to play the first one and then intentionally fuck up enough missions enough times to get the super soldier perks. Those are the ability to shoot laser sword projectiles, fire artillery without needing to stop moving and enter a defensive crouch and ignore weight restrictions. You basically go in to debt enough that the game restarts and then do it two more times. You also need to get the Moonlight laser sword (it's BiS during the entire PS1 era) and the Karasawa laser rifle (BiS for energy weapons).

The reason you go through this bullshit is because in AC2 Project Phantasma and AC3 Master of Arena the opposing units will 100% have those perks and holy fuck is Master of Arena a bitch and a half if you don't have them.

• 1Blown
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If you're going to play any of the early AC titles you have to play the first one and then intentionally fuck up enough missions enough times to get the super soldier perks. Those are the ability to shoot laser sword projectiles, fire artillery without needing to stop moving and enter a defensive crouch and ignore weight restrictions. You basically go in to debt enough that the game restarts and then do it two more times. You also need to get the Moonlight laser sword (it's BiS during the entire PS1 era) and the Karasawa laser rifle (BiS for energy weapons).

The reason you go through this bullshit is because in AC2 Project Phantasma and AC3 Master of Arena the opposing units will 100% have those perks and holy fuck is Master of Arena a bitch and a half if you don't have them.

Wait, you can carry weapons from one game to another? That's pretty cool. I thought AC2 was PS2, didn't realize AC1 had two PS1 sequels.

Looks like there are way more games than just "AC 2 to 5". There's also something called Nexus.

I never played any of the Front Missions after the first one (and Gun Hazard) either. Always wanted to do more with both serieses but now I'm afraid they'll be antiquated. I did try FM4 at one point and it was too slow and plodding to get into for my 2005 brain.

TBH I probably shouldn't bother with any of these at this point given how much I have left unplayed in the modern era, or maybe start with the latest one and work backwards like Hateyou Hateyou said.

It's also worth noting that Armored Core 2 on the PS2 is going for about $200 at this point and some of the others on PS1/PS2 are going for similarly inflated amounts. However, I'm not a Gaming Youtuber so I don't have an invisible wall keeping me from saying emulation exists for the old stuff.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wait, you can carry weapons from one game to another? That's pretty cool. I thought AC2 was PS2, didn't realize AC1 had two PS1 sequels.

Yeah, for at least the first three on the PS1 you can import your existing character and all their shit/perks. I want to say I only played one of the PS2 era games so I'm not really familiar with those.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nexus was pretty sick.

I am a huge Armored Core fan, I played almost all of them, but put the most hours into the first 3.

Beating the Arena is where its at. I spent countless hours fine tuning my mech in order to be able to beat the top tier arena bots. It was so satisfying to become number 1 though. It took forever too, as the arena in part 3 was like 200 mechs.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hell yeah, the arena fights were great. Was fun going against all the different types of mechs and trying to counter them.

• 1Solidarity

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I remember playing my buddies on split screen, and they used to rage quit and hate me, as I had so much practice and experience, the best build by far, in AC3 anyway, was the dual heavy missile set up with reverse joint legs for evasion and large radar. It was fucking hilarious watching 4 heavy missiles just rain down and instantly disable them everytime LOL. Remember the giant slow missile that did like 87586756356 damage?

The best part of the game was having a good "core" in order to be able to have enough power for your "armor". (figuring out the best power set ups by mixing and matching different parts etc)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Master of Arena had a couple of guys that were 100% total bullshit. I remember a gun in the top 10 or maybe top 5 that was all blade weapon with enough speed and circle strafing tech that you couldn't even get him in front of you for a shot. It was like they programmed in a Korean pro to fuck up your whole world.