ARPG suggestions for co-op?

turbo

Molten Core Raider
My amazing fiance has been kind enough to pick up gaming as a hobby so is pretty new to games. We did FFXIV MMO which actually was really great for her but ultimately got spread thin abit as we were trying other things out and difficulty started creeping up so i didn't want her to get discouraged too much. Tried a few games but ultimately i'm pretty niche in what i'll play any more myself.

We know do DFFOO on the ipad as a good time killer when chilling and play Smite 90% of the other time which she has picked up actually pretty great. I wanted to expand into something that was abit more drawn out with staying power opposed to just 30 minute matches but still co-op.

So i think ARPG's might be a really good fit. Any suggestions on a ARPG that is abit newer yet has some staying power (expansions/updates, something we can play for a good 12-24+ months)?

I think D3 is abit too far established and just didn't quite like it myself the few stints i've done.

POE while i did enjoy probably might be just abit too complicated for her plus those fuckers banned one of my main accounts for jack shit and then took 3 months to respond to probably 50 emails. Be damned if they get a cent from me again or my time.

Was actually debating Grim Dawn, i did enjoy that when it first came out even though it doesn't have quiet the continuous development as i'd like (2nd expansion coming i guess in 2.5 years).

Any other games for consideration? Tried Warhammer inquisitor but was horrible in beta. There was a Korean one that came out back in Dec that looked really promising and almost a light MMO in a APRG setting but can't remember and of course those tend to be extremely grindy and pay to win.

Appreciate any suggestions!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It isn't what you are looking for but I've had a lot of fun playing co-op Divnity Original Sin and Divinity Original Sin 2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Actually bought her Divinity Sin 2; i keep saying i'm going to finish it myself 1st to make sure a replay will be easy going for us to co-op. Alas i rerolled and tried new class mods like 10 times in 1 week and havent finished chapter 1 again hah. Maybe in november....but end of the day i do want something with some longevity that we can really sink our teeth into across the next year or so but not that feeling of obligation/addiction that comes with a full blown MMO.

Damn near want to do everquest hah but with us playing smite 1-3 games a day at least i don't think we could find a good balance both being in pretty demanding professional careers. Would be fun to 2 box on FV or something and start from scratch but have a pocket top deck wizard or something to go rape older content. Might actually not be a bad idea....have a pretty high disposable income to enjoy gaming so could throw some money at plat/items to enrich our experience ...

Sounds like MU legends was a bust and cant find any other good recent ARPG's and LostArk doesnt have a global release that i saw.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Tried Van Helsing or Torchlight?

POE and D3 are the best in the genre, everything else it's a matter of if you enjoy a sight tweak on either of those approaches.

I'd go D3 personally, with some Diablo news to come soon at Blizzcon. Ignore the seasons, just enjoy the game.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Best Coop experience I've had is Borderlands 2. Huge with the expansions, cheap, long and pretty much bug free and works local as well as online coop.

Also very newbie friendly. Good game and easy to get into.

EDIT: Or Vermintide 2 or Monster Hunter World? Not hack and slash games like the others, but good coop experiences. I duoed Monster Hunter from start to finish. Makes it harder since it activates the 4 player difficulty with only 2, but me and friend did that just fine up until Nergigante.

+1 for Torchlight 2 as well. Very good game.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

The desire to have active updates seems really bizarre.

PoE is without question the best. And is constantly updating with its next "expac" in December.

Grimdawn is very solid, and yes a new expac is coming soon. q1 2019.

Torchlight 2 is very playable still. I jumped back into it recently to give it another shot. it does really lake some of the things PoE and grimdawn have.. but, its decent. and probably much better with local co-op, then my solo play. Mods.

torchlight Frontiers is somewhere on the horizon. 2019
Torchlight Frontiers | Arc Games

Wolcen is shit, in development hell. Act1 redone about 7 times. 3 years overdue, and still in alpha.
Vikings is shit. just shit.

The marvel arpg got shut down right? that was pretty good.

yeah, there are a few light arpg mmos. Maplestory 2 just came out. I hated it. friends seem to like it.
aaaand, I am drawing a blank on all of their names atm.. There are a few korean ones, that really are pretty ok.
Devilian was pretty solid really.
Googling I see alot of hits for Lost ARk. which launches nov 7?. (after some looking, in south korea, I see an english mod I think.. but official english will likely be some time away, if at all)

Lineage eternal is still slated for q1 2019 I think. (ncsoft owns guildwars1/2, blade and soul, wildstar, aion, and lineag.. I mean, its got to be pretty solid when it comes out right?)

have you considered Vermintide2?
co-op in survival or building games is often pretty fun. Ark/conan, minecraft, terraria, etc..

Last edited:

Molten Core Raider
Devilian shut down earlier this year unfortunately or it would be a solid suggestion.

I echo Stevo's earlier statement, just go for Diablo 3. The non-season stuff is great. Just play the story together and if you're still hooked when you finish it, there's tons of grinding/progression still available to do.

Caliane

Devilian shut down earlier this year unfortunately or it would be a solid suggestion.
ha. shame.

was checking out a couple aprgs I had on the radar. Warlords awakening looked neat. some mixed reviews on steam now. Early access, and appearently its a stripped down korean game. renamed 3 times..

and guardians of ember. A small studio arpg. released last year or so? but the studio/producer lead fucked up royally, and set a memo around the office, demanding employees give positive reviews to their game... They got kicked off Steam...

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
Best Coop experience I've had is Borderlands 2. Huge with the expansions, cheap, long and pretty much bug free and works local as well as online coop.

Also very newbie friendly. Good game and easy to get into.
Absolutely loved Borderlands co-op experience with buddies. One of my favorite franchises and a total surprise (to me at least) in terms of scratching that ARPG itch in an FPS setting.

I know you mentioned not liking D3, but it remains one of the most polished and streamlined options out there. I've been thinking of picking it up for console, which is usually very family / spouse friendly.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also not really ARPG, but Lara Croft Guardian of Light and it's sequal are great isometric, 2 player co-op, twin-stick, action / puzzle games.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
The desire to have active updates seems really bizarre.

Wolcen is shit, in development hell. Act1 redone about 7 times. 3 years overdue, and still in alpha.
Vikings is shit. just shit.

its sad because wolcen seems like the right mix of old school Diablo art style and POE skilltree, i just bought the beta or w/e because co-op was supposed to be coming this month with some other shit, from what ive played so far if it releases the game looks promising.

Caliane

yeah. wolcen beta was supposed to start oct 11th. it was delayed.
that beta was already including a complete retooling of everything.. again.

maybe it'll be something someday. but, I would not recommend it to anyone, currently.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Appreciate the feedback. Thinking probably will let her try Grimdawn and D3 abit and then sink some pretty good time into them.

The desire to have a actively developed and updated game is because 1) i just dont enjoy 95% of single player games, i rather invest what time i have into something. MMO is definitely the perfect game for me but just don't have the time to commit to be competitive and can't handle being a casual in an MMO....call me an egomanic. 2) Since she is new and while she really enjoys gaming now that i showed her she still ultimately does it for me, its much easier to have 1 game to sink our teeth into for the future vs. something that has a pretty finite end point.

Really, really was watching Mu Legends and was planning on that as it looked perfect as a ARPG but set in a more MMO environement. We went on vacation the week servers went live and i fucking hate missing server openings so i decided not to have us play it. Luckily was a good call by sounds of it, 90% of the player base has been run off.

If Grimdawn had the D3 longevity i'd definitely be all in on that as i loved it when i played to max before but then made the mistake of downloading a tool to help me on alts and lost interst knowing uberness was just a click away. Still will play with her, between smite keeping us busy should still last pretty long just playing here and there and then some power sessions on weekends.

Lost ark still zero global commitments?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Appreciate the feedback. Thinking probably will let her try Grimdawn and D3 abit and then sink some pretty good time into them.

If you dont care about playing a VERY old old game, but a really fun ARPG, try Darkstone. Its very dated though (1999) but I had a lot of fun with it.

Also, if you can deal with a piece of shit camera, but a world that is epically massive, try Sacred 2 (Sacred 1 and 3 both suck ballsacs, only Sacred 2 recommended). Its a really good game, if you can deal with the camera. Not to mention, one of the coolest music scenes in a game (this is played during one of the quests).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'd never heard of Wolcen before this thread, would love to keep this going as a co-op / ARPG thread, if not start a new one and just amod the title at some point.

Looks like technical beta started today.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Great suggestions but I would recommend against POE for a new gamer, for a variety of reasons.