Ars editors pick the most overrated games

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's not or at least it wasn't for its time. I think that it doesn't hold up to the test of time as much as people want it to, but there's no doubt that the game truly was as huge and as amazing as everyone said it was when it came out. It was a big fucking deal.

Caliane

woah, now. Now that one is overrated. 7 was a step down from 6. nevermind dragonwarriors, etc.

Generally you can ask anyone that likes 7, was it your first rpg? and they will say yes.

7 really only had one thing. FMV.

Sean_sl

shitlord
The Witcher 2 holds an 88 on Metacritic for both the X360 and PC versions. I think that's appropriate. Maybe it was a little "over-hyped" by the forum before, but certainly not overrated. I hated the Witcher 1, the controls were some of the most horrible shit in the history of gaming and I couldn't be bothered to play it past the prologue, but I loved The Witcher 2 on the X360. I think it definitely is a high 8 or low 9 game for the quality level it has. The story was good, the world setting was great, and the gameplay, that was now built with a controller in mind like an Action-RPG should be, was very good.

Caliane

The PS1 game was a pretty generic, a not very inspired nor inspiring 3D platformer, and when a PS2 sequel was announced, I remember reviewers going all Spyro crazy and it really surprised me. As far as I know the result was just as bland as the first too...
did you guys somehow miss the skylanders talk?

Frankly this is again, this guy being a complete dipshit.
Skylanders is fucking AMAZING.
Does the game suck? yes its pretty tiny. even kids will blow through it too fast.

no. Skylanders is holy shit, because they are selling dolls/characters for $20.
Average each parent probably spent on this game? $250. I would like to see a number seriously.
That near field tech has a huge future ahead of it as well. Imagine a pokemon game using this shit.
The skylanders buzz was never about how good of a game it was. it was always about how good a money making scheme it is.

Also, there are hats.

http://www.nintendonation.net/2012/0...-or-cheap.html

Charles_sl

shitlord
Goldeneye was dogshit. Consider that Quake 2 and Goldeneye came out less than 4 months apart. Anyone that had a decent custom gaming rig like I did just laughed at how bad that game was. A 3DFX Voodoo versus an N64 is pretty laughable, and Quake 2 had awesome mods within months of release.
I'm not sure what Goldeneye and Quake 2 have to do with each other, they are very different games and you shouldn't be comparing PC games to console games back then anyway, especially FPS games. In my opinion Goldeneye was fun because it allowed for easy, competitive play among friends. PC gaming with friends was much more difficult back then for obvious reasons, whereas with the N64 you could just bring controllers or a game over and boom, hours of fun. It isn't a fair comparison although I played Quake and Quake 2 around the same time also and I don't have nearly as many good, fun memories of them as I do of playing Goldeneye, but maybe that's because I was mainly playing single player. Even single player Goldeneye was fun though, in my mind it isn't even a comparison. It was by far the best console FPS I played until Halo.

Also, Oddjob was banned in our group, short little bastard.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not sure what Goldeneye and Quake 2 have to do with each other, they are very different games and you shouldn't be comparing PC games to console games back then anyway, especially FPS games. In my opinion Goldeneye was fun because it allowed for easy, competitive play among friends. PC gaming with friends was much more difficult back then for obvious reasons, whereas with the N64 you could just bring controllers or a game over and boom, hours of fun. It isn't a fair comparison although I played Quake and Quake 2 around the same time also and I don't have nearly as many good, fun memories of them as I do of playing Goldeneye, but maybe that's because I was mainly playing single player. Even single player Goldeneye was fun though, in my mind it isn't even a comparison. It was by far the best console FPS I played until Halo.

Also, Oddjob was banned in our group, short little bastard.
This. I played all of the Quakes and Goldeneye and I liked both. Hell we had LAN parties where if someone didn't also bring an N64 with Goldeneye then someone would have to go leave and get it. I've got a friend here who says there is a bar downtown where the owner still has an N64 with Goldeneye hooked up which customers can play.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The difference is that most 12 year olds had N64's not computers. I think the demographics for those two games were probably wildly different and most people who remember Goldeneye very fondly were in the younger category when they played it.

P.S. Fuck Oddjob.
Oh no, I was about 16 when Goldeneye came out. I had my first real IT job already and hence tons of spare money to blow on a $2k gaming rig. My friends, the same age as me, thought Goldeneye was the god's gift to gaming and continued to believe this for the next 3 years. I remember it STILL being popular at our Y2K party. Everyone thought computers were for losers... and then suddenly Counterstrike became THE game and everyone rushed out to buy a PC.

The only split screen console game that really got me hooked was the first Tony Hawk. Halo was passably entertaining, a lot better than Goldeneye. Then again, I really hated that N64 controller. That thing was worse than the Dreamcast controller, I can't even understand how N64 was popular with that piece of crap.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I feel like Uncharted is criminally absent. Talk about a game with tons more bark than bite.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Halo is not overrated. It took a lot of the lessons learned from Half-Life and put it into a package that was not just playable on consoles, but was fun. Plus didn't it revolutionize FPS controls on consoles?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Agree on Halo and Gears. I find most console franchise blockbusters are pretty terrible these days. Most recently I find the entire Assassin's Creed games so repetitive and boring they're unplayable but people still lap up every iteration.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I agree with Gears and Halo. Although I enjoyed Halo single player (at least the first couple). Gears I've always felt was way over rated.

The WII itself was over rated. I realize many bought it but it never sold games. It was a fad.