Art Bell returns to radio!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638648

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/radio...sirius-xm-show

Launch Monday September 16th (if no anomalies)
LIVE Mon-Thur 7-10pm Pacific (10pm-1am Eastern)
Replayed All Night Until 3am Pacific, 6am Eastern
Replays Friday - Best of the Week, Weekends TBA
Channel Indie Talk Channel 104 (8 Hours/Day)
EW YORK (AP) ? Art Bell, radio's master of the paranormal and outward edges of science, will return to the microphone on Sept. 16 with a new nighttime show on Sirius XM Radio.

Bell was one of radio's top syndicated voices in the 1990s before walking away from his nightly show in 2002 due to family issues. He worked occasionally after that but hasn't been on the air since Halloween 2010.

"I missed it terribly," said Bell, 68, whose weeknight show will air live from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. ET. Sirius is building a studio at Bell's rural Nevada home where he will work.

A Sirius representative contacted Bell through social media a few months ago, leading to the formation of his show, "Art Bell's Dark Matter." He'll talk about things like UFOs, ghosts, near-death experiences and weird aspects of science. He'll do interviews and take calls from viewers.

Scott Greenstein, Sirius XM president and chief content officer, said the show will be "uncensored, unrestricted, uncluttered and utterly unique."

"There's probably more interest in the genre now than when I did it," Bell said. "When I did it, I was damned near alone."

Bell was on some 500 radio stations nationwide and "quit when he was at the top of his game," said Michael Harrison, publisher of Talkers, a magazine that covers the radio industry.

Harrison said Bell's subject matter has roots in old-time radio, and he predicted it will become popular once again in the coming years.

"He'll be looked at as one of the veteran, old masters," Harrison said. "He's the real deal when it comes to marching to the beat of a different drummer."

There's also a potential rivalry with George Noory, who replaced Bell on the syndicated show. Bell isn't a fan, saying he considers Noory "not edgy enough." Noory's program is on later at night, so the two will not compete directly live.

No contract terms were divulged.

Bell said he's intrigued to learn the differences between satellite and terrestrial radio.

"It seems to me they are the next step in technology," he said. "I've always been a technological junkie. The mix of what they're giving me, the freedom that they're giving me, is priceless."

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Oh shit, that's awesome. The pure entertainment factor of his shows are great. I like the fact that Bell has said while he may not really believe what someone on his show may be saying, he does believe in giving people a forum to talk about it where others may be able to hear it as well. He's always respectful and the shows are pretty great all in all even if you don't believe what's on it.

George Noory sucks, really happy Art is making a come back.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I like Art Bell much more than George Noory. Glad he's coming back
smile.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I never really bought into any of his stuff but I normally had him on the radio while working nights. I agree his replacement sucked ass.

Rime

<Donor>
Mm. Is there a way to get Sirius without having to buy into the whole thing? Like just for Art's new show? Wonder if they will have a way to just subscribe and get the shows on a website like they did with C2C.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Is that the same dude that did all the radio bits in Prey? Never actually listened to him other than in that game. But those bits were pretty entertaining.

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
If you use the Sirius app on your phone, you can use the 7 day free trial as much as you want by just making new emails. Even if it says the process timed out when registering for the free trial, youll still get the email from sirius with your password.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I used to love this show as a teenager. This stuff tends to lose appeal the more science educated you become, but it can still be entertaining.

Hah, I still have this

rrr_img_39672.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I used to love this show as a teenager. This stuff tends to lose appeal the more science educated you become, but it can still be entertaining.
Amongst all the kooks and crazies that he had on, he also had some very interesting and intelligent guests as well. For example, I discovered Michio Kaku through Art Bell when he had him on for an interview.

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
C2C can either be really interesting or really cringe-worthy depending on the topic (Physics vs. Chemtrails & Bigfoot). It's good to see Art coming back, I thought he was dead for some reason.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Noory and Bell have such soothing manly voices. They've been my binky for damn near 15 years.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tomorrow is the big day! The new show starts tomorrow!

First three guests:

Monday - 16tn - Art tells his story and Michio Kaku
Tuesday - 17th - Richard C Hoagland
Wednesday - 18th - Jonathan Reed

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Will So I read an article about this. Apparently the show can be 3 hours with an option for Art to run long for up to an extra hour. They are also running a 30 day free trial promotion right now because of it. Going to give it a try. Even though the show is mostly crazy shit I still love to hear the crazies call in.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Well this didn't last very long ...

Art Bell's Dark Matter radio show ends.

"We are sorry that Dark Matter on SiriusXM has come to an abrupt end. We'll examine our options and may be able to return in a different format and medium. In the mean time, ArtBell.com will still operate as long as financially possible, hoping for a workable solution to bring Art back to you, soon. Keep checking back here often."
Six weeks and probably two of those weeks were rebroadcasts. The one with Richard Hoagland claiming there are ruins of glass domes on the moon must have run at leat 4 times.