Ascension

Hutchy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm actually really enjoying this. Compared to the other shit on TV right now, the fact this is Sci Fi and is watchable is all good with me.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah. I don't know what to make of this.
The writing feels.. off.
Just too many incongruities.

Like you watch Dark City,13th floor, the matrix or play fallout, and the culture as presented follows the idea.
This.. the technology, fashion, language, and culture does not fit the idea that this group of people branched off from American society in the 60's.

We have the name drops for movies like Gidget etc. but thats it.
There is also a problem with the suggestions of angst for being stuck on the spaceship. Those kids would only know the spaceship. They would have no concept of not being on it. Reality would be more like Battlestar Galactica. Them reading about Earth, would be like us reading about Camelot. they would romanticize it, sure. but, in no way would they be angsty, angry or anything. again, it would be like one of us being angry we don't live in the roaring twenties after watching/reading Gatsby.
I suppose it can be explained as the illusion is not complete. Subconsciously they knew something was wrong.

And then, what is the point of any of this?
They have movies and books they have many points of reference to realize there is stuff not on the ship and being on the ship for all the lower deckers seems to suck so its not to surprising they feel like they are just trapped in a prison not of their own making with no future or control.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its a three episode mini series I don't know if they have any intentions of doing any more with it later I think this is just a self contained run. I think this probably would have gotten pretty annoying if they stretched it across a full season but with a 3 episode beginning, middle and end I think its one of their better efforts.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It was originally meant to be a 6 week short season with an option to continue on if things worked out. Then right before the first episode was to air SyFy decided to rework it into a three night miniseries event. You will notice at the start of each night that there are two writers and directors etc credited for the evening since it is actually two episodes stitched together.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even if you ignore the absurd setup, herpaderp science and major plotholes (we have so much of everything we put pig food in bags), the characters are uninteresting, the plot doesn't make sense and many scenes are painful to watch (the texting scene, the little girl acting like shit, etc). This wasn't bad enough they did the cliche bullshit upper / lower deck West Side Story stuff. And also, sorry if I'm fixating on the goddamn pigs, but if they dump peoples bodies in space, where does the pig food come from ? Where does it come from, god fucking dammit, you can't have pigs in space. That's just retarded.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Forget the pigs, that giant warehouse where they store the cremated bodies and thermos bottles filled with Ascension booze is all the stuff they jettisoned from the ship... For a completely closed ecosystem they seem to have dumped waaaay too much stuff. I wonder whose job it is to manufacture cosmetics for the stewardesses? I mean you have 600 people, a freakton of what seems like disposable articles, and yet I've already counted 20ish 'guards' wandering around with nothing else to do

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have to ignore a few things, but the second episode was actually pretty decent. I sort of wish it had been on Starz or HBO or something though, because some of those chicks are really hot.

I agree with all the pigs in space stuff, but the one that really gets me is that, in over 50 years no one has had to repair something or move something and thought, "Hmm, where the fuck do these wires go? Or what is this little thing that sort of looks like one of our surveillance cameras (one of which is apparently right on the doctor's fucking desk), but smaller?" Or better yet, not a single person has had to go outside the ship? The XO stuck his head out that one time they were fixing the "radiation shield", but ok, I can suppose that it might look good enough from that spot...but no one ever had to go outside the lower section where the walkway leads right up to the side of the fucking ship? Theoretically the engines would be there...are they never checked? Even if they aren't firing now because they don't want to go too fast, you'd think somebody would be doing routine maintenance every few years just to make sure everything still works, right? What the fuck?

Not to mention they jettisoned that coffin at pretty high velocity, that should have ripped right through the screens surrounding the ship. Or am I to believe they have a specially designed tunnel for that purpose? Or any number of tiny things like that. It just seems impossible that they could have kept this secret for so many years. Even if I was resigned to life on board the ship, I'd think that once or twice I might have wondered if I could look behind us.

If I ignore all of those things though, the show isn't half bad, surprisingly. Little girl staring at the camera and dumping out her milk was awesome, I have to say.

Caliane

Forget the pigs, that giant warehouse where they store the cremated bodies and thermos bottles filled with Ascension booze is all the stuff they jettisoned from the ship... For a completely closed ecosystem they seem to have dumped waaaay too much stuff. I wonder whose job it is to manufacture cosmetics for the stewardesses? I mean you have 600 people, a freakton of what seems like disposable articles, and yet I've already counted 20ish 'guards' wandering around with nothing else to do
yeah. they even made a point of saying they recycle cloths. (seeing someone wearing dead girls dress) but then yeah, spacing the body, cosmetics etc..

episode 3 is final... well underway, and.. nothing has happened?
ugh. yup feels like an abandoned pilot.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Ahhh the little girl just pulled a Carrie / Phoenix move at the end of "episode 5". Kinda curious who this group is, I don't think they are exactly governmental. I'm guessing we get one more twist before the end even after they deal with Jean Gray Jr.

They didnt add the RF jammers until 1973? No one on the ship noticed radio or TV transmissions in the 1960s? Like, for example, when they were trying to contact Earth? *sigh*

God damn I do like Tricia Helfer.

FYI setting it in Minneapolis is pretty damn cool.

Edit : YUP!! TWIST!!

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Okay after the end I could be on board with this shit. Lord knows I'm a glutton for punishment, but I was entertained.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
same that guy better hope more help is coming soon or he is the most fucked man in all of history.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'd keep watching. Kind of interested to find out what their end game was too. I mean, other than the obvious travel part of it at the end; how did they intend to get us to that point via a longer series?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
With Fringe gone and Continuum having its last season coming up, i found myself enjoying this even tho its rather weak. I was hating episode 3 until that bitch got shot in the eye and then i was like.... REDEEMED!!

I need more SciFi to watch so hopefully they do something more with this. Its not great but its better than nothing.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Im gonna guess the long run of the series is that word gets out on the ship, quietly, about what Christa can do and some people are in on that secret but other people (with some overlap) are in on the secret that they never left earth. XO is pretty fucked until his own powers (remember he could see Laura Pal...err Loreli too) manifest and he manages to port himself back to the ship.

They then realize that the only way they are going to get out of this mess alive is if they get Christa and company to port them to the planet the XO landed on and at the second season finale they do just that and the whole of Ascension gets teleported onto the planet leaving the earth people with a lot of explaining to do but also the people on the ship when they step outside and realize exactly what the fuck was happening.

Caliane

With Fringe gone and Continuum having its last season coming up, i found myself enjoying this even tho its rather weak. I was hating episode 3 until that bitch got shot in the eye and then i was like.... REDEEMED!!

I need more SciFi to watch so hopefully they do something more with this. Its not great but its better than nothing.
In hindsight that part is kindof hilarious.

"oh, you are a lesbian? in our special eugenics super power world, you are expendable" and, we will PROVE that, by murdering you. (the only person that does get murdered, aside from original girl), and the Eugenics work, not gay people get super powers.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
This pretty well convinced me to avoid Syfy's miniseries in the future. The president of the network recently said that they aren't going to greenlight a miniseries unless there's "potential for there to be a series coming out the other side". That means these aren't really "miniseries" but basically extended pilots to try to gauge audience's reception, which means if it's not good enough, we just get something like Ascension that ultimately goes nowhere. It's unfortunate considering that's the network that's adapting Arthur C. Clark'sChildren's Endand3001.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This pretty well convinced me to avoid Syfy's miniseries in the future. The president of the network recently said that they aren't going to greenlight a miniseries unless there's "potential for there to be a series coming out the other side". That means these aren't really "miniseries" but basically extended pilots to try to gauge audience's reception, which means if it's not good enough, we just get something like Ascension that ultimately goes nowhere. It's unfortunate considering that's the network that's adapting Arthur C. Clark'sChildren's Endand3001.
Well, this model did work for their best show and only truly great show, so there's a good reason to do it that way.