Ashes of Creation

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That's real ambitious.

While I really like the crafting focus the restriction of 1 profession per character is rough. Especially when there's like 24 different ones across their Gather/Process/Craft paths.

Cybsled

FFXIV has forever spoiled me on professions lol. 1 seems way too low and I'm sure out of 24 professions, there will probably end up being 3-5 that are considered essential and all the rest will be situational at best...until 8-12 months down the line when they buff the shitty professions.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
FFXIV has forever spoiled me on professions lol. 1 seems way too low and I'm sure out of 24 professions, there will probably end up being 3-5 that are considered essential and all the rest will be situational at best...until 8-12 months down the line when they buff the shitty professions.

No doubt. The Processing one is the profession required to build advanced buildings. Standard fair like Alchemy will be unquestionably useful. Beast taming and animal husbandry are just interesting.

Thing is though you can only master a single one it says you can get to some proficiency in other professions. The design is such that lower-level mats are still required in higher-level crafting so there's always a demand for all levels of materials.

I like how they've region locked it. Such that, of the five metropolises that can exist in any server. The mountain region will have the ore, jungle certain herbs and whatever other stuff. Which will force interesting player interactions. Really happy that they've made it so Sieging cities can only happen in the prime time of that server and there's a significant delay in doing so. Want to siege the city? 5 day delay and if you're PST playing on an EST server the EST server has the advantage in that the siege can only take start from 3PM-7PM EST.

I really like how they intend to curtail PKing by making you lootable if you PK too much. Risk there I guess will be PKers playing classes that require almost no items to operate. Like mages back in Ultima than ran around with nothing but reagents on them. Will be a breath of fresh air that dumb PVP is balanced around 8v8 and not 1v1. Seems they accept that some classes will simply be superior at 1v1 or soloing than others. That's just the way it goes.

That said. Grandmaster Fisherman Tank/Bard or Tank/Summoner combo here I come! Maybe go full on Pathfinder Stormcaller Bard/Summoner. I could dig that.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also. Their PK status is awesome but they need to make it more crippling. Because it is immediately exploitable to just PK until you reach the worst corruption. Then have your friends kill you naked so you don't actually lose anything and reset. Then go back to griefing with your clean slate.

Make it lock your items on you the moment you hit the status. Also, add some RNG element to it so it can't be immediately predictable exactly when you reach that point and put a timer on it so you can't clear it in a few minutes with your friends killing you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just hope this all doesn't get hyped way past were it should be, gets crushed by a few higher profile streamers and dies as they couldn't do everything talked about to perfection at launch.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Eh, everything looks really nice but I feel like flying mounts are a mistake. At very least there should be some limits on them, otherwise the ground world will feel empty.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Eh, everything looks really nice but I feel like flying mounts are a mistake. At very least there should be some limits on them, otherwise the ground world will feel empty.

It says only 10 flying mounts will exist at any given time on the server. Only guild masters/castle lords who invest in them will have them on demand. Otherwise you can find dragon eggs that hatch and the mounts die off after some duration of use.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
That's real ambitious.

While I really like the crafting focus the restriction of 1 profession per character is rough. Especially when there's like 24 different ones across their Gather/Process/Craft paths.

It looks (to me) like you can advance to certain points in all professions but can only master one. How that translates to gameplay is anyone's guess. If everything decent/useful is locked behind mastery then yeah you're right. If "masatery" just means raid ltier quality on items then I could see how it would still be useful outside mastery level.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Caveat: I really want this game to be good and succeed, but....

This game has a TON of red flags. Its saying all the right things, but I am seeing a lot of similarities with both No Mans Sky (which years later is now a fantastic game mind you) with its initial hype off the charts and Star Citizen here.

For one, unhinged design and scope creep. Its literally promising the world and more. Its every single feature every single player of a MMO could ever want...and they are talking about ALL of it as if its going to be in place for launch. The fact that this content was not bucketed, road-mapped and planned out in development stages and very carefully communicated to players to temper expectations absolutely reeks of Game Development Rookie. 250 vs. 250 PvP alone is enough to keep an entire game dev team busy to try and balance, manage perf issues, server infrastructure and optimization...just nailing this would be an achievement. This is Star Citizen level of scope of creep that is obviously being driven by an inexperienced, undisciplined, and soon to be surprised CEO.

Another thing: like sports, just because you get a team of veteran AAA developers, it takes time for people to gel and make magic. This is an incredibly ambitious first project to come out of the gate with for a team that has never built anything before. This is Interstellar travel before flying to Mars or the Moon.

Watching the full video of features and you quickly get the sense that what is being described sounds more like a mature MMO thats been live for 6+ years and and is a base game with various expansions...not something that is going to launch in anything near resembling this state.

Now I have not followed this game closely, and I am basing this entirely on the video talking about the game, so If I'm mistaken, someone please call me out. But if this is what they are saying the game will be when it launches, then yea, this seems like its going to be a mountain of disappointment.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hope they have Solo content, Group Content and small raids that can land you top tier gear. The whole fielding 40+ people can get kind of annoying after a while. Especially when you have unreliable jaggons in your guild.

Realistically, how long are we looking at for a release date? 1 year? 2 years? 3 more years?

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
In the dev interview with Asmon the head guy said 2 years out. Been in production for 3 years, and started design 5 years ago.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What I got from it is that these guys, especially Sharif, are just making the game that they wanted to make. Which is a breath of fresh air to me.

In the linked interview Sharif explicitly stated that they aren't trying to balance PVP 1v1 at all. It's just going to be balanced on 8v8 and other than that let the shots fall where they may. As opposed to the Blizzard route and balance and rebalance for 15 straight years without ever learning that particular lesson. The game economy could be totally fucked for sure.

But its definitely interesting. I threw down $40 on the Kickstarter forever ago and I am happy they are at least trying new shit and not making a wow-clone. Fail spectactularly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Not balanced for 1v1 means PKs all go the 1v1 masters and you’re stuck being buff bitch for your guild.

Archeage was sort of the same. You had like 3 class combos that were god mode in 1v1 or even 1v3, some damage soaker tank builds that people ignored, and a bunch of supports that the god mode classes would eliminate in the opening of the battle. Then random builds that were worthless lol

I accepted my role as lasso guy and tank gunner and cannon gunner on ships because I sucked at PVP otherwise with my class.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Swiftstone (Sorc/Defense/Shadow) was the unsung hero of small group PvP. I had damage, peel, mobility, disengage... I wasn't necessarily the best at anything but if the enemy team tried to focus me down I could absorb hits and if they didn't, I was still a threat with damage and CC.

1v1 though? Didn't do so hot.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is kind of my concern, essentially it looks like PVE players will be the one to advance the Nodes only for PVP players to destroy them. I'm not sure the PVE crowd will not be in for that for the long term.

It still looks pretty interesting though, and will give it a try when it comes out if it reviews are good.
I feel like they need to add a corrupt node system or a pvp node somewhere pvp players can go when they cant join a city because of their bounties.

Cybsled

Given how Sorcerer's guild was owned by pirates in Archeage, I imagine he doesn't want to give them much power or ability to make a base of operations.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Given how Sorcerer's guild was owned by pirates in Archeage, I imagine he doesn't want to give them much power or ability to make a base of operations.

Also PRX should definitely not come to this game. I'm sure he'd pull a power move to ban them outright.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

What does owned by pirates mean here exactly? What is PRX?