Ashes of Creation

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The problem I think they'll have is all of these grand ideas have a lot of dependencies on the other grand ideas.

So if you don't get one of them implemented, the whole thing just kind of stumbles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Who gives a fuck about graphics, give me a good goddamn game with some decent lore and innovative mechanics. Graphics is last on my wish list for MMO's now a days

I'm not bothered with the graphics, I'm concerned with how clunky it plays. Which at times seems to be case and at others seems to not be (which, fair enough, if they're still pre-alpha I dont expect perfect. But I also remember Mist warning us about Warhammer's shitty client a year before it came out when no one wanted to hear it)

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Transcript of the last AMA

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Q: Plans to have any add-ons?
A: No add-ons. Cba to type DPS meter explanation for the 8934th time sry.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
so looks like pre-ordering package can get you into alpha/beta? Have they put any timelines etc? Not looking to do alpha but beta seems like a good idea for a game with potential complexities as this.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you pay $300 to get into an alpha you're a retard and real bored.

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 7 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
If you pay $300 to get into an alpha you're a retard and real bored.

Pretty much. It's why I said this game is telling you what it is. People just need to listen. Its got all the unmanaged hype No Mans Sky...combined with the the feature creep, kickstarter fund raising scam of Star Citizen.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I keep seeing people say that, but I dont get what is so "feature creep" about what Sharif's doing? I havent seen him really change his dev plans in quite a while?

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Feature creep is pure speculation on our part. But it is not unjustified as the list of features of this game is quite grand. Even when compared to other MMO.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I keep seeing people say that, but I dont get what is so "feature creep" about what Sharif's doing? I havent seen him really change his dev plans in quite a while?
You’re technically correct (the best kind of correct) as there hasn’t been any “creep” of added features, but surely we can agree that the scope of features would be considered ambitious for a huge AAA dev studio... which this is not.

Daidraco

Is this another pvp focused endgame bullshit mmo?

Long story short, yes. What's worse, is that items can be enchanted - ala Black Desert Online. Which was one of my chief complaints about that game. On the flip side though, I loved playing BDO up until I hit that specific grind wall. So maybe this will play out different?

• 1Barf

Cybsled

Archeage had the “upgrade weapons to a certain point, then they have a chance of downgrading or blowing up”. The game maker sold charms and scrolls that slightly reduced the chance of failure, making it p2w RNG. It sounds like he wants the same bullshit, but without the p2w aspect. It’s like crafting with a titanforge mechanic, except if you fail it disenchants your epic sword into dust or turns it into a green or blue.

• 1Barf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Long story short, yes. What's worse, is that items can be enchanted - ala Black Desert Online. Which was one of my chief complaints about that game. On the flip side though, I loved playing BDO up until I hit that specific grind wall. So maybe this will play out different?

Never played BDO. Can you elaborate on this? I am expecting that the player interaction in terms of PVP and crafting are what will drive player interaction. However, does that mean that the average player will be spending their time hunting for crafting mats? Killing mobs to gain gold to buy crafted stuff? Or what?

I'll be a bit disappointed if that's all it ends up being.

Daidraco

I dont believe Sharif is truly going to make drops from raid targets have "just" crafting materials. But even if he does it's going to work like every other game in this vein.

You get a rare .0105% drop crafting material to pair up with a less rare-common currency, along with disposable crafting materials to make a Sword. That sword by itself is strong of course, but to make it better - you have to get an exact copy of that sword to enchant it to that same Sword "+1". Repeat that process over and over again until you get to +4. After +4 you still have what appears to be a max of +10 you can go through. At +5, you start to have a rate of failure of something like 10% (example) and as the item gets to higher and higher ranks the chance of failure increases considerably. If the enchant fails, then the sword is destroyed or goes down one to three levels.

Not only do you have this grind with your weapon, but every single piece of gear you have. I dont think I ever saw anyone with +10 in every single slot, and usually when your upper echelon of people started getting +10 in several slots, thats when new content would be planned to come out with new items to start the treadmill all over again. It's just not my cup of tea, but I still plan on playing the game up till that system does influence me.

• 1Barf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Never played BDO. Can you elaborate on this? I am expecting that the player interaction in terms of PVP and crafting are what will drive player interaction. However, does that mean that the average player will be spending their time hunting for crafting mats? Killing mobs to gain gold to buy crafted stuff? Or what?

I'll be a bit disappointed if that's all it ends up being.
It was just more Korean bullshit with super bad RNG to roll for better gear.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dude said that Dragon Raid Boss would drop like this:
  • Dragon drops 10 items
    • 3 items are completed and usable, "raid gear"
    • 7 of the items are high level crafting mats.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
I dont believe Sharif is truly going to make drops from raid targets have "just" crafting materials. But even if he does it's going to work like every other game in this vein.

You get a rare .0105% drop crafting material to pair up with a less rare-common currency, along with disposable crafting materials to make a Sword. That sword by itself is strong of course, but to make it better - you have to get an exact copy of that sword to enchant it to that same Sword "+1". Repeat that process over and over again until you get to +4. After +4 you still have what appears to be a max of +10 you can go through. At +5, you start to have a rate of failure of something like 10% (example) and as the item gets to higher and higher ranks the chance of failure increases considerably. If the enchant fails, then the sword is destroyed or goes down one to three levels.

Not only do you have this grind with your weapon, but every single piece of gear you have. I dont think I ever saw anyone with +10 in every single slot, and usually when your upper echelon of people started getting +10 in several slots, thats when new content would be planned to come out with new items to start the treadmill all over again. It's just not my cup of tea, but I still plan on playing the game up till that system does influence me.

Oh god I hope not. Hated that system in Archeage

• 1Like