Ashes of Creation

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

He was trying to basically make his own version of Archeage, so not surprising there are lots of familiar elements

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Archeage was a good game aside from the bullshit cash shop that ruined the goddamn game. Needed more PVE aspects though IMO

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Beyond his “dynamic dungeon” mechanic, I am dubious about PVE content in this game

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What, are dungeons suppose to be procedurally generated? Not even some tailor made ones, or just very few?

Cybsled

Unless they changed it, based on prior talks it sounds like most of it will be procedurally generated (although they claim it won’t feel that way. Insert grain of salt here)

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Raids and dungeons won't be the big draw for endgame, they'll be resources for gear and building materials from what I've read. I'm not sure equipment even drops, I kinda remember it just being mats to craft gear. Territory control, trade, pvp, tradeskills, building up your assets will be the main endgame it seems like. I expect a mixture of EVE, Archeage, BDO, Lineage 2 etc. much more than WoW or FF14.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I don't know if it's so much that dungeons are dynamically generated, but rather than the dungeons that become available in the game world are dependent on which nodes develop on the server. At least that was the impression I was getting.

Cybsled

It’s a combo of both. Certain nodes will spawn different dungeons/bosses.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Raids and dungeons won't be the big draw for endgame, they'll be resources for gear and building materials from what I've read. I'm not sure equipment even drops, I kinda remember it just being mats to craft gear. Territory control, trade, pvp, tradeskills, building up your assets will be the main endgame it seems like. I expect a mixture of EVE, Archeage, BDO, Lineage 2 etc. much more than WoW or FF14.
Lord British wants his MMO back.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am looking forward to seeing the streams. Will be nice to get outside perspectives on the game and its progression. The game still looks like a 2023 release with everything they want to do. I fully expect Alpha 2 to start 4th quarter but would love it if sooner.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am not surprised. The amount of stuff they are attempting to incorporate into this game is daunting. Honestly would not be surprised to see it get pushed back to 3rd Quarter.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
lol at NDAs for games that are backed by public crowdfunding

Yes and no, the hype they've got built up around AoC is a double-edged sword really. As soon as NDA drops that first impression is gonna stick in a lot of peoples minds no matter how much better the game becomes further into development. It's in everyone's best interest that they have a good showing out of the gates. Skepticism about crowdfunding and all the cosmetics they're offering for it is also reasonable considering they've claimed the game is already fully self-funded.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless they changed it, based on prior talks it sounds like most of it will be procedurally generated (although they claim it won’t feel that way. Insert grain of salt here)
It really depends on how many set pieces they're willing to design for the procedual generation.

I can see it working, I can't see someone actually doing it though.

Cybsled

Right, everyone claims they’ll do it “right”, but the rules they put in place to avoid impossible layouts typically results in a predictable layout

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dont a lot of people have a problem with Armors etc. being in the cash shop simply because there is a 15 sub fee thats already been disclosed? I already hate that the cash shop exists in a game like this, but armor cosmetics is a bit disappointing. Just like my opinion of WoW's cash shop, I want there to be a way to get the shit in game. Even if its a grind. In BDO, I understood why it was there but I cant understand why it would be in a sub fee game. (other than just obvious greed)

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Dont a lot of people have a problem with Armors etc. being in the cash shop simply because there is a 15 sub fee thats already been disclosed? I already hate that the cash shop exists in a game like this, but armor cosmetics is a bit disappointing. Just like my opinion of WoW's cash shop, I want there to be a way to get the shit in game. Even if its a grind. In BDO, I understood why it was there but I cant understand why it would be in a sub fee game. (other than just obvious greed)
It's not ideal.

But, for me at least, the degree to which it's a problem depends on what sort of armor/weapon skins are in the game, without the cash shop. Like BDO is exceptionally bad in this regard, because if you don't want to go into the cash shop, then your choices for looks are a half-dozen slightly different forms of potato sack. If I can make a character look cool without dropping cash on it, then it's not a dealbreaker in and of itself.

• 1Like