Ashes of Creation

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Stream moved back an hour. Kind of hoping a lot of info is coming with this one.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Kinda seems like the opposite to me. New World has completely changed their direction since last year, now they're going full on bland theme park experience and trying to remove anything they've said previously about being a pvp focused sandbox game to capture the 1hr a day casual player. Ashes on the other hand, is supposed to have a player driven world where you can build cities, open pvp with loot drop, warfare etc. and seems aimed at the more hardcore player.

You may be correct and you're probably a lot more up to date than I am as I try to avoid too much hype these days but either way, sounds good to me! This new/different direction that Ashes seems to be revealing to the player base is much more appealing to me even more than my initial impression.

Xerge

<Donor>
Kinda seems like the opposite to me. New World has completely changed their direction since last year, now they're going full on bland theme park experience and trying to remove anything they've said previously about being a pvp focused sandbox game to capture the 1hr a day casual player. Ashes on the other hand, is supposed to have a player driven world where you can build cities, open pvp with loot drop, warfare etc. and seems aimed at the more hardcore player.
every town in NW is holdable by a guild, there are open world outposts capturable for bonuses, and I think they're trying to blend themepark with open world. AoC will attract the hotbar and mount crowd which is why I aim it at the WoW portion of MMO players. At the end of the day though both games play and feel differently

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I plan to at least try both of them. Like others have said, I dont think your typical WoW person will gravitate to AoC. AoC from all that Ive gathered is going to be much more brutal in regards to the PVP aspect. Not Darkfall kind of brutal, but still enough to turn away your average housewife MMO player. Which in the grand scheme, I hope it does. I hope it pulls a huge chunk of the PVP fanbase out of WoW for a good long time. Sort of like Archeage, Aion etc. did in some regard.

New World I hope follows through more on the theme park aspect and pulls a good chunk away from WoW in that regard, as well.

I'm not calling out the intent of death upon WoW, just that.. I hope these two games pull enough people away from WoW that the dev team for WoW gets their head out of their ass when they have more than just FFXIV and ESO as competition. Content droughts are as bad, if not worse in FFXIV compared to WoW and when I play ESO.. I meet people that have never even played WoW which draws me to conclude that they really just arent the same audience in that game.

-Edit- I also hope that between New World and AoC, they dont end up just battling between themselves for the same audience. But more so, all MMO players.

Xerge

<Donor>
I'm thinking both games will have a thin casual layer for those players, but time will tell. You would be foolish to not have systems in place for casuals in the MMO landscape. Anyway AoC is still a bit off, exciting to see they'll be launching with tested raid content. Also a buddy of mine was just hired on to the AoC team and seems pretty excited for it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, Alpha 1 Access opens on May 5th for $500.00 if not already committed. Keep in mind this also includes a host of other stuff not just Alpha 1. Given how much I have given, might go ahead and get in.

Nice video showing off Dragon effects. Loved the 3 lightning balls coming down.

They actually answered my question on the video.

"Can you mount during combat?"

Yes. Game is being balanced around the use of mounts and so they are a part of combat. Its a feature I do not like in GW2. Mob is dead but because I have a debuff I cannot mount. Glad they are just going to allow for it.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
The raid boss was alright. First time i've seen an aoe you literally have to jump over to avoid the damage, that was cool.

My main criticism is they still seem to value flashy animations over ones that line up perfectly with the hotbar abilities. Combat looks fast paced, so why have overly long animations? They need to fix that.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
They're probably angling for animation locking to a degree a la Dark Souls. Makes the gameplay more complex.

Leibowitz

Trakanon Raider
kickstarter backer here. I took the leap a long time ago. I don t regret it

Last edited:

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
link to April dev update
I skimmed through this and landed on 1:15:00 where he mentions that items won't be droppable on the ground. 2021 and they still can't match the most basic functionality found in online games from 25 years ago.

GIF by BlockFi

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
So, Alpha 1 Access opens on May 5th for $500.00 if not already committed. Keep in mind this also includes a host of other stuff not just Alpha 1. Given how much I have given, might go ahead and get in.

Nice video showing off Dragon effects. Loved the 3 lightning balls coming down.

They actually answered my question on the video.

"Can you mount during combat?"

Yes. Game is being balanced around the use of mounts and so they are a part of combat. Its a feature I do not like in GW2. Mob is dead but because I have a debuff I cannot mount. Glad they are just going to allow for it.

If you're paying 500$ to alpha test games then sorry but you're a fucking moron and are everything that is wrong with this entire industry. As much as I'd like this game to succeed, I moreso hope it is a dumpster fire just so people like you will hopefully learn a fucking lesson for once in your life.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
If you're paying 500$ to alpha test games then sorry but you're a fucking moron and are everything that is wrong with this entire industry. As much as I'd like this game to succeed, I moreso hope it is a dumpster fire just so people like you will hopefully learn a fucking lesson for once in your life.
What lesson is that, almost all the crowdfunded games are disasters the people throwing money at them have so much they don't seem to care.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
At this rate, every skank with an onlyfans should be getting into game dev to capture the simps who piss away their money on pixels over titty pics.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I moreso hope it is a dumpster fire just so people like you will hopefully learn a fucking lesson for once in your life.
Considering there are a lot of SOE devs there under the leadership of a pay2win guild leader, I'd say its 50:50 right now.

Xerge

<Donor>

Lumi I paid 500 for your personal copy. Got u fam

I think the 500 price tag is to keep people out, instead of in. They have stated if you're buying into it at this stage you've been warned, basically.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I skimmed through this and landed on 1:15:00 where he mentions that items won't be droppable on the ground. 2021 and they still can't match the most basic functionality found in online games from 25 years ago.

GIF by BlockFi
It was discussed. They "could" add in the ability to drop items on the ground. The problem is that it leads to things that they do not want to have to deal with. He even sites an example of something he did with it causing players to get booted from Lineage 2 during a siege. It has nothing to do with tech. It has everything to do with players exploiting the feature to gain an advantage or to just be straight out be annoying. I am fine not seeing dicks and player names drawn out everywhere around the game world.

25 years ago they also had unlimited bag space in games. Then it was realized that keeping track of millions of items can cause server issues.

Also, who cares what people choose to spend on the game? I figure the more spent, the more people they can hire, the better the game gets. Unlike Star Citizen, this game appears to be much better run. If you do not want to spend $500.00, then do not spend it. Posting against it comes off as whiny and petty.

Value = What a person is willing to pay for an item or service.

Last edited:
  • 2Like