Ashes of Creation

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow, that looks awful. Tab targetting, projectiles locking on even through movement skills, etc. Without any skill required in the gameplay, its just going to be another 'manage your zerg' game where whoever brings more people wins.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow, that looks awful. Tab targetting, projectiles locking on even through movement skills, etc. Without any skill required in the gameplay, its just going to be another 'manage your zerg' game where whoever brings more people wins.

Pretty much exact same gameplay as archeage.

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
The projectile part really annoys me - what's the point of the shadowstep-esque skill if going OOR doesn't stop the projectile from hitting you?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The projectile part really annoys me - what's the point of the shadowstep-esque skill if going OOR doesn't stop the projectile from hitting you?
To escape from additional casts, via range?

I never noticed it being as bad as this before. The Animations are just horrendous. The Dwarf that you see is the worst offender of them all, for whatever class hes playing if thats relevant. People still look "Floaty" af. Thank God its still has a long ways to go before release.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
The combat looks completely weightless. Fast movement, static animations, with no limits on how you can move your character. It ends up looking like people are spazzing out instead of battling.

Cybsled

It’s still alpha, so can give a pass for now, but the combat animations are pretty garbo

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I think we're all just a bit too old here to believe in the "it's just alpha bro, they're gonna fix it!".

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The devs have stated their awareness of the concerns on combat. It IS still alpha given that the game is over 2 years out.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
For animations to look good you really need some momentum and for swings/abilities to freeze you or atleast slow you down. I can't think of a single twitch combat game where the animations look good because everyone is spazing out constantly trying to dodge.

Since it is tab targeting though they should be able to make it look better, was there even a gameplay reason for that guy filming it to be jousting and strafing like he was?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Pretty much every Western game I see in it's Alpha state, I think to myself, "ah, those animations need some work (compared to Korean stuff especially) but it's early! I'm sure they'll get around to doing a pass on that and tighten them up!" And. They. Never. Do.

It's like Western devs don't even fucking try. Or whoever is in charge just doesn't care, just wants it to be functional.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
New World has gotten a lot better since Alpha, but it still sucks

AoC seems in that same pot for me

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe thats why Pantheon delays their alpha so fucking. AoC, New World and Crowfall have all had some pretty bad alpha reviews and it kinda killed the momentum of the game as not much changed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretty much every Western game I see in it's Alpha state, I think to myself, "ah, those animations need some work (compared to Korean stuff especially) but it's early! I'm sure they'll get around to doing a pass on that and tighten them up!" And. They. Never. Do.

It's like Western devs don't even fucking try. Or whoever is in charge just doesn't care, just wants it to be functional.

Why is it that western devs can't nail combat like the korean games? Maybe they should outsource that or something, because combat in most Korean games is just good. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a western game that had really good combat, maybe Gw2?

• 1Mother of God

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Why is it that western devs can't nail combat like the korean games? Maybe they should outsource that or something, because combat in most Korean games is just good. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a western game that had really good combat, maybe Gw2?
Part of it is the fact that Korean games' character models have more bones. Way more. So, they can actually do realistic animations. Could also be something like maybe Korea has some mocap studios that the game companies outsource to. And the fact that Korean games have to compete with each other, so they kinda have to meet a basic (Korean) standard.

Also helps to have really good sound design, to make combat impactful. Lost Ark's is top notch.

• 1Solidarity

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The video discusses Alpha 2 and what they expect for the content. It sounds like it will be testing 80%+ of the game when it starts. It is no wonder they have no date for it. I predict Alpha 2 will start first quarter 2023......maybe.