Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I have enjoyed the game, but I like AC3 more. AC4 feels like they tried to do a few too many things without putting much effort into each one. Hunting and Harpooning are just such tiny experiences, the assassin contracts feel uninspired, the boarding actions are tedious and silly, the base island is a non-entity I couldn't care less about, and the big name pirates weren't interactive either. In AC3 the base area was very interactive and personal. In AC4 all you have are nameless extras and uninteractive stars with nothing inbetween.

The shanties are really cool. I liked them a lot.

AC2:B>AC3>AC4>AC2=AC2:R>AC1

P.S. Fuck Frogger

Lenas

Trump's Staff
This might make me a bad person, but I hated AC3 naval battles. Should I bother with AC4? I have played every other title to 100% but all the potential water-based content of this game makes me nervous.

Sean_sl

shitlord
If you did not like AC3's naval battles then you probably really won't like AC4, since it's very Wind Waker-esque. There's more water than land and your ship is the most important part of power progression.

It's also very much a Pirate game and not so much an Assassin game.

Also if you hate Pirates you're a bad person.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
It's hard to say. Minimally you will have about as many campaign naval events in AC4 as you had side-mission naval events in AC3, but some of the crafting and most of the first time traveling (fast travel unlocks) is naval. A lot of the economy is also based around naval encounters, but if you're not going to spend much improving your ship that should be zero-sum.

It depends on how OCD you are, but I'm leaning to AC4 being shitty for you if you didn't like the naval aspect of AC3.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
That's really fucking depressing because I love the franchise
frown.png
I'll still give it a shot and will try to keep an open mind

Sean_sl

shitlord
frown.png
Just remember that you're playing a Pirate game to begin with and that we haven't had a good one since Sid Meier's Pirates. It is an *awesome* Pirate game.

Edward Kenway, the main character, is also a pirate through and through and doesn't pretend to be anything else (aside from when he does it for piratey reasons), which is nice.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, stealth isn't highly rewarded in AC4. You fuck people up. I don't really care for that, but it's consistent with the character. I think Ezio was overhyped, but I prefer being ultra-stealthy and ghost-like. Deus Ex still sits atop the heap for me in stealth risk/reward.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
frown.png
I really disliked the ship stuff in AC3 but the rest of AC4 is so good that I tolerate it. I cheated and upgraded my ship using a trainer though. Makes sailing the seas much more painless. The atmosphere is really gorgeous, so much better then the thanksgiving motif of AC3 (shudder). The characters are all extremely likeable and the dialogue is pretty ace as well. Kenway is the true successor to Ezio.

Also whoever decided to add sailing stealth pursuit quests can go die in a fire. Seriously wtf? Stupidest idea ever.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This might make me a bad person, but I hated AC3 naval battles. Should I bother with AC4? I have played every other title to 100% but all the potential water-based content of this game makes me nervous.
You should play AC4 and fight naval battles until you change your wrong preference to the correct one.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To be fair they did a lot of small but valuable adjustments that reduced AC3 boating issues too...

Snap aiming with swivels and being able to aim broadsides being two huge ones...

Sean_sl

shitlord
To be fair they did a lot of small but valuable adjustments that reduced AC3 boating issues too...

Snap aiming with swivels and being able to aim broadsides being two huge ones...
Yeah, the ship combat is definitely not cut & paste from AC3. They did a fair amount of work on it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Spend 3x more to get 10% better performance, PC Master Race!

(I'm in both worlds, its self depricating as well)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I agree with the last line of the article, I hope Watch Dogs isn't optimized as poorly, because that might actually not run well if so. AC4s engine is old enough that it really doesn't matter on PC, but Watch Dogs looks like it could be a beast, graphically.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I agree with the last line of the article, I hope Watch Dogs isn't optimized as poorly, because that might actually not run well if so. AC4s engine is old enough that it really doesn't matter on PC, but Watch Dogs looks like it could be a beast, graphically.
It's Ubisoft, expect the worst when it comes to be annoyed with PC versions. I'm sure the Uplay integration in it will inspire much hate.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's Ubisoft, expect the worst when it comes to be annoyed with PC versions. I'm sure the Uplay integration in it will inspire much hate.
Even though I've bought every Assassins Creed, I've either downloaded the torrent, or at least the crack file so I don't have to log into UPlay to play the damn game. I don't really have any interest in the multiplayer side of them anyway.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its actually not bad now, because if you buy something on steam, it activates it on Uplay and you can just download it on their launcher and play it that way. Wasn't like that for awhile and that was irritating.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I've really enjoyed the AC games, I was looking forward to this one and immediately downloaded it yesterday. It took 7 fucking hours to download (thanks shitty rural cable company) and when I could play it, hard crashes after the 1st island mission. Yay PC games! It looked really really good at 2560x1440 with everything jacked up though.