At the Mountains of Madess may be back on, but...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
idk, del Toro has not made a bad movie yet. It isn't ideal but maybe he can find a way to remain faithful and still do it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I am one of those people that says PG-13 instead of R really kills movies; but in this case I don't necessarily think it would hurt. It's been a few years since I read the original story but I don't remember it having much on screen gore or scenes of the old ones moving around. Everything happened off screen and the suspense was the best part. I think it would make a great psychological horror movie that relied on not showing anything beyond glimpses of the old ones.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
idk, del Toro has not made a bad movie yet. It isn't ideal but maybe he can find a way to remain faithful and still do it.
Not everyone agrees on that point, see the Pacific Rim Job thread.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think there was much call for an R rating in the story to begin with. It was intellectual horror rather than gore. I'm thinking of the right story, right? It's the one where they're in Antarctica investigating the digsite and they gradually discover that these... things... aren't as dead and gone as they thought they were. It was the thin screeching and the Shubs themselves that were the horror. And you could make a plenty gross Shub with pg-13. It might actually be better to restrain yourself from indulging in pointless gore.

Pretty sure that they none of the characters cuss anyway. They may use some honest to god swears in the oldschool sense. But Lovecraft wasn't the fuckity fuck fuck kind of guy.

But it's been at least a year since I read that story, maybe I'm remembering the wrong one.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
PG13 blows but you can get away with a lot doing PG13. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt as I really want this movie made.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
what the hell is wrong with some of you? Go reread the story, nothing calls for a R rating.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't think there was much call for an R rating in the story to begin with. It was intellectual horror rather than gore. I'm thinking of the right story, right? It's the one where they're in Antarctica investigating the digsite and they gradually discover that these... things... aren't as dead and gone as they thought they were. It was the thin screeching and the Shubs themselves that were the horror. And you could make a plenty gross Shub with pg-13. It might actually be better to restrain yourself from indulging in pointless gore.

Pretty sure that they none of the characters cuss anyway. They may use some honest to god swears in the oldschool sense. But Lovecraft wasn't the fuckity fuck fuck kind of guy.

But it's been at least a year since I read that story, maybe I'm remembering the wrong one.
yep, originally he was wanting Tom Cruise to play the main dude I heard...but that was a few years ago

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
was this the one with the tentacle things + airplane + arctic + temples + finding out these dudes are worshipping the GOd of some shit or ? memory haze
frown.png

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
What was Pan's Labyrinth rated? That had a shit ton of violence and swearing and I think it was rated PG-13.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Got this novella today, will read it while giving a test today and decide if it should be made into a movie!

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
As odd as it may sound... PG-13 may actually promote the chances of duplicating the suspense horror of the original story without giving them the option to do cop out gore scenes.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As odd as it may sound... PG-13 may actually promote the chances of duplicating the suspense horror of the original story without giving them the option to do cop out gore scenes.
Yeah it should honestly be a tense psychological thriller IMO, more than an effects romp or gore fest or otherwise typical horror film. That movie Dagon did a good job I thought, but that was probably R with the titties and whatnot.