At the Mountains of Madess may be back on, but...

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
idk, del Toro has not made a bad movie yet. It isn't ideal but maybe he can find a way to remain faithful and still do it.
Has he even finished a movie since Pan's Labyrinth? It seems like every time I hear about him getting involved with a movie, that movie seems to fall apart shortly thereafter.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Fuck that, guess I'm in the minority here. If I want to leave it to my imagination I'll just read it again. The whole reason I want to see the movie is toseethings. Show the elder things and shoggoths mutilating people. I want to see what he decides drives Danforth insane. A giant mass of tentacles over the mountain ridge? Fine, whatever, but show it.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, they should show things, but it should be paced with a slow build not just like an action horror adventure full of monsters. That's pretty much how the stories are so why not? Set the tone for the characters to descend into realizations and ultimately madness, interspersed with some teasers and visuals to illustrate the discoveries.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Seriously?
Think about who you are responding to. Go look at his posts in the Political Thread if you need a clarification. I am surprised he doesn't trip over his own feet and slam his face into the concrete all day, every day. In fact, come to think of it, if that were true it would explain a lot.

Put me in the 'psychological horror' camp. This doesn't need to be a gorefest.

iannis

Musty Nester
You kinda need Geiger for it, but he's kinda dead.

If this movie is ever made and if it's any good I feel like it would be a lot like Interview with the Vampire. That movie wasn't the most mindblowing movie ever made, but it waspretty. Especially in the theater. That movie really was beautiful. There was a lot of attention to visual artistry.

I guess that's the appeal of Del Toro. If not him get Rob Zombie to make it, although he lacks the grace to do it as well.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
You kinda need Geiger for it, but he's kinda dead.

If this movie is ever made and if it's any good I feel like it would be a lot like Interview with the Vampire. That movie wasn't the most mindblowing movie ever made, but it waspretty. Especially in the theater. That movie really was beautiful. There was a lot of attention to visual artistry.

I guess that's the appeal of Del Toro. If not him get Rob Zombie to make it, althoughhe lacks the grace to do it as well.
That comment really sums up why I like Del Toro so much. He doesn't just make the movies we like, he does them in a manner that is easy to appreciate and seemingly without effort on his part. Rob Zombie's movies are okay but seem clumsy at times.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'd rather they just didn't show what makes Danforth insane. No way that can be done well. Things like that are always better left to the imagination.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You kinda need Geiger for it?
Why, so it can be filled with phallic art themes or outright stylized penises and cunts? I think Del Toro can find a way to good art direction, seems like as good a choice as any to do this. Geiger was great, but he's a little to over glorified in the nerd community at times IMO.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
After watching Pacific Rim and then The Strain, I just think Del Toro would make it too campy. It doesn't need to be pretty, or have this huge budget for special effects. It needs to have the mood of The Thing or Event Horizon. It needs a moody atmosphere of being part of an exploration team in the middle of nowhere that slowly realizes something is going wrong. I don't think Del Toro is made for this style of movie, he cannot help but make things larger than life and in your face.

Rime

<Donor>
I do not want to see what drives Danforth insane. Nothing in a movie can really compare to the horrors that our imagination can dream up. Besides, it would have to be some cloudy image, mists rolling across the valley beyond, maybe a series of glowing eyes gazing up from the mist, then a massive tentacle slowly drifting across the screen, maybe crushing one of the towers on the plateau to give some sort of measure as to how impossibly large the creature is.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Think about who you are responding to. Go look at his posts in the Political Thread if you need a clarification. I am surprised he doesn't trip over his own feet and slam his face into the concrete all day, every day. In fact, come to think of it, if that were true it would explain a lot.

Put me in the 'psychological horror' camp. This doesn't need to be a gorefest.
Yeah so I went back and looked just to make sure and I was pretty much correct.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Del_Toro

Pan's Labyrinth (now 8 years ago) was amazing but what the hell has this guy really been doing since then? As far as directing, he's done what? Hellboy 2 and Pacific Rim? Pacific Rim was ok but nothing groundbreaking or spectacular. He's been credited with producing a bunch of mostly crap movies that no one watched or cared about up until Hobbit which in my mind is somewhat suspect as far as giving him credit for.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
He hasn't done a whole lot (in terms of writing/directing/producing) since Pan's Labyrinth. He's been a producer for a lot of movies because I guess people want his name on their movie. But, I'm super excited for this shit. Love Del Toro.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Incorrect opinions on Pacific Rim aside, the other stuff he has been involved in has been great. The Orphanage, Mama, these are really good horror movies made by guys that he found and pretty much gave a career to via his production company, which is where it seems like a lot of his time has gone. I don't know a lot about how movies are made, but I look at that filmography and see him producing a lot of kick ass movies. And Crimson Peak will rock as well.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Del Toro is a genius and probably the best "storyteller" other than Tarantino of this generation. He's probably the only person who could do this right. He was perfect for The Hobbit too. Still bitter over that.

Rime

<Donor>
I am still so salty about the Hobbit. Three frelling movies? I almost fell asleep during the Desolation of Smaug. The entire elf and Dale sequence were way too long and overblown. The last movie I fell asleep during was Attack of the Clones.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Besides, it would have to be some cloudy image, mists rolling across the valley beyond, maybe a series of glowing eyes gazing up from the mist, then a massive tentacle slowly drifting across the screen, maybe crushing one of the towers on the plateau to give some sort of measure as to how impossibly large the creature is.
And that would work fine.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
I'd rather they just didn't show what makes Danforth insane. No way that can be done well. Things like that are always better left to the imagination.
I'm sure they just do it with a partial reflection in the window that he is looking out as his eyes widen...And then a cut away with him drooling and his hair white.

Antagonist_sl

shitlord
This would be preferable to how True Detective approached the cosmic insanity theme... Which is to say make every indication that the character will go insane upon witnessing the power of the great old ones, then pull a sweet juke into your typical "felt my daughters love" bullshit Hollywood drivel.

this movie will suck.