Atlanta

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Atlanta

Genre: Comedy

First aired: 2016-09-06

Creator: Donald Glover

Cast: Donald Glover, Keith Stanfield, Brian Tyree Henry, Zazie Beetz

Overview: Two cousins, with different views on art versus commerce, on their way up through the Atlanta rap scene; Earnest 'Earn' Marks, an ambitious college dropout and his estranged cousin, who suddenly becomes a star.

spronk

FPS noob
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]View attachment 79419[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]Atlanta[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Comedy[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2016-09-06[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]Two cousins, with different views on art versus commerce, on their way up through the Atlanta rap scene; Earnest 'Earn' Marks, an ambitious college dropout and his estranged cousin, who suddenly becomes a star.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Atlanta | TUESDAYS | 10PM | FX Networks
Two cousins work through the Atlanta music scene in order to better their lives and the lives of their families. Donald Glover serves as Executive Producer, along with Paul Simms and Dianne McGunigle. Atlanta is produced by FX Productions.

spronk

FPS noob
Anyone watch it yet? Kinda looks way too black for me to appreciate/enjoy it, but Don Glover was one of the best parts of Community - he was also a writer on SNL and 30 Rock.

First two episodes aired last night on FX, available on iTunes / Amazon / torrents /etc.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kinda mixed on it from watching the start of it - definitely in the serious "dramedy" category I'd put YTW into that I love - but as you said, pretty "black" - definitely a great show if you're into that culture without a doubt, not sure if someone outside of that culture like most of we white folk could though.

Definitely giving it a shot for a couple weeks though.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
It seemed alright but it was just a bunch of hood tropes, maybe it'll hit it off with black people/white hipsters but their doesn't really seem to be any substance yet. Hopefully it'll do something different but watching mixtape trap rappers smoke weed in poor neighborhoods for 24 mins a week feels pretty boring.

Last edited:

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think it's pretty good so far. Feels like hood Louie. Donald Glover is pretty hilarious in general and I like that he's basically playing himself in it.

I like the "deep-thought, more than it seems" black gangster cliche that's been happening. Kind of like Tracy Jordan from 30 Rock or the rapper dude from You're the Worst. I'm sure it'll be overdone soon, but I tend to enjoy it.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wow episode seven was like boon dock saints and chapelle had a baby that shit out a brilliant defense of free speech. Hilarious too.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Loved that. The show throws the occasional 'wtf? moment in here and there that have all been hilarious.

spronk

FPS noob
Binge watched the entire season, its pretty good. Its like black Seinfeld with the pathos cranked up to 10/10 with a few drops of sanitized wire season 1 thrown in. I thought it'd be way too "black" for me, like a Tyler Perry show or something, but I mostly understand everything going on. Some definitely great funny bits but also a lot of sadness.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's a great fucking show. That Tracy dude is like a thuggish Leon from Curb. Paperboy himself is actually an underrated character as 95% of what he does is just see through everyone's bullshit and it's amazing. Earn is trying to get him to go with everyone to make money and grow and Paperboy just calls all that bullshit out at the cost of more success. Darius is funny too, but he's just the classic "Zany" character every show has now.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
That movie theater scene where they get discriminated against was cringe worthy as fuck. Is that really what Kang Kangs think white people are like?

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That movie theater scene where they get discriminated against was cringe worthy as fuck. Is that really what Kang Kangs think white people are like?
Have you noticed how much they ham things up beyond what reality is to just be funny about it without taking it too serious?

I think they are doing a great job of not seriously doing what they think is racism and just painting funny pictures that have the very slightest tinge of truth.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

I wonder how'd they'd react to whitey saying stupid shit like "Kang Kangs"

• 2Like
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how'd they'd react to whitey saying stupid shit like "Kang Kangs"

Considering they think all white people are racist anyway, aren't I doing them a favor by giving them an example of the white man holding them down. You know, while they are driving around in cars that cost more then my house.

I am a huge fan of Donald Glover and this show for the most part, but how white people are portrayed is extremely stereotypical and just lazy race baiting bullshit. As someone mentioned earlier its most likely done for satirical effect. Hopefully.

Edit - So don't take my Kang Kang comment personally, I too was just using it for satirical effect.

Xevy

Log Wizard
"You sure you want to wear an all-white suit to a strip club, Wakandan?"

"You right."

Alfred the Wise. Definitely my favorite character.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database