Atlas Reactor (Trion's new turn based moba)

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't see a thread about this so i never heard of it until a couple of friend's mentioned it this weekend. Its teams of 4, turn based similar to x-com style, both teams everyone has 20s to make their move and then you watch the resolution unfold. First team to 5 kills wins, if you are killed you take a turn to respawn.

Its in open alpha right now so you can check it out for free. Enjoying it enough I'll probably buy the minimum once open alpha ends, which I'm not seeing where its listed at now, but there are different packages and I believe the minimum one is $10.
Atlas Reactor

Taho

N00b
Briefly tried it over the weekend. Kind of reminded me of a cross between XCOM and a turn-based Heroes of the Storm. I like XCOM, but not Heroes of the Storm, so doubt I'll play this.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, you could say its similar to hots in that there are no items, you can only change perks to your abilities before the match, so its kind of like the talent system.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have been playing this quite a bit and I have to say I enjoy it a lot. Very diverse amount of heros and the games go pretty rapidly. Has some of the robo rally board game fun of you program in your moves and then sit back and see what actually happens where stuff can go very very far awry.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh I have to say this game if you have some team mates on voice chat gets pretty amazing. Having the goblin team with a rampart on voice chat allows you to set up mine fields and then have rampart harpoon them through the entire thing for some massive damage yanks.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Beta starts for this today for anybody who got an invite or did one of the pre-purchase options.

Fenz

Silver Knight of the Realm
Will follow this. Can't finf it on Steam yet (just some VR viewer). Anyone know if it will be released there?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well its trion so it launches through their portal glyph. Can't remember if I've seen rift on steam before or not, if so, its likely, otherwise probably not.

I did do the $10 pack to get instant beta access, it also gives you $10 worth in game currency, and I am really enjoying the game despite the player pool is still really small so friends and I got matched up against a team of devs and got stomped.

I like how you have a seperate elo for each character.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually haven't played it just solo yet, but I think they do try and match up parties with other parties because I see in global chat ppl say they get matched in a minute and when I'm queued as a group wait time is closer to 5. Not that voice communication is that vital, if you want to coordinate with teammates you can type to them while watching the resolution unfold.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't really understand how Trion is still around
I was wondering the same thing, although I never played Rift it seemed like the game was a moderate success in such a saturated market. I didn't think it was such a success that they would have published multiple games since then, but evidently so.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
They have some novel ideas and their games are polished enough compared to a lot of the rubbish out there. I still like Rift enough to hop on an alt every now and then, was my favorite MMO since EQ1 easily.

Actually I'd love to see them take on a CoH-style MMO, CoH had tons of potential that the company decided to completely ignore, and Marvel Heroes just doesn't really do anything too special.

Fenz

Silver Knight of the Realm
Instead, we've decided to change the way we offer Atlas Reactor to you, shifting from a Free to Play game to a premium digital game (aka "buy-to-play"). In other words, in order to play the game, you will need to purchase it. Purchasing the game will give you access to all current and future Freelancers.
Atlas Reactor | May Producers Letter

Caliane

I don't really understand how Trion is still around
really?

Defiance was a bust sure. Rift, aimed high, and moderate success as noted. Initial was probably a failure, but they farmed it well. it stuck around for a while.
Archeage, Devilian. Buying Korean games, and porting them over to the US on the cheap, is profitable.
Trove. Pretty sure this was a huge success. probably cost them like almost nothing. Dev team of like 10 people.

That said. Moba's are stupid saturated. I don't know why anyone would make one atm. Would have thought people would have learned that with Smite, and the DC moba.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
That said. Moba's are stupid saturated. I don't know why anyone would make one atm. Would have thought people would have learned that with Smite, and the DC moba.
In all fairness there isn't another "moba" quite like this at all. Just everything is a "moba" these days because the term can be applied to pretty much any online competitive multiplayer game.

Super stoked I get the full game now having only spent $10. Friends and I are spending more and more time in this, its a nice change of pace.

When I get home I'll add my glyph tag to the op and add anyone else's tag if they'd like.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
In all fairness there isn't another "moba" quite like this at all. Just everything is a "moba" these days because the term can be applied to pretty much any online competitive multiplayer game.

Super stoked I get the full game now having only spent $10. Friends and I are spending more and more time in this, its a nice change of pace.

When I get home I'll add my glyph tag to the op and add anyone else's tag if they'd like.
I am not even sure MOBA at least in the way most think of it really is even that applicable to atlas reactor it is a pretty different thing but I have found that it scratches an itch I did not realize I had and have been enjoying the hell out of it. One thing I will note is if anybody is interested I believe this weekend is open weekend so anybody paid or unpaid can play and try all the freelancers. If you enjoy it check their store right now the 10 dollar packages last I checked were still up and that would basically buy you the game and all freelancers(heroes) that are active now and all future ones and a bunch of in game cash and taunts and what not. Hell of a deal for 10 bucks if you find you enjoy it.