Atlas

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Stone may be immune to animals, but if you have a small building like ours with storage boxes near the walls, you definitely don't want to be in there. If you have a large all-stone base and none of your storage containers are near the walls (ESPECIALLY NOT CLIPPING INTO THEM) then you're probably fine. We just dump all our shit somewhere and go sleep naked. Usually on top of a large rock that is "wolf-proof". Pretty much we always log back in dead, but it's not a big deal if you banked all your gear first.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Oh and also your ship will decay in 4ish hours if you park it in a Freeport zone. That could be it. A lot of people park their boats there thinking they'll be safe from marauders or ghost ships, then it poofs on them.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Hmm it can't be any of that. I've had 2 ships sunk by lions but it always says sunk by lion. Wasn't at a freeport. Sinking by ghost ship will tell you it was sunk by them (and they would have killed the crew too probably?).

I wonder if it was an unanchored thing. I know for sure neither were anchored because the sloop was parked by the end of a shipyard because of the aforementioned lions going out into the water and trying to eat the crew and sinking the ship.

The brig was close to a shipyard but a bit further out in the deep water because I'm paranoid after losing a schooner to shallow water pro wrestling magic physics demons.

I'm about to build a giant harbour at some deep water close to shore and going to wall the whole thing and if ships die in that I don't know what to do.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
You mentioned the storms... I've never had a ship take any damage from them. Maybe our server settings have that disabled.

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
The cyclones do damage. A fair deal, in fact.

I goto sleep on the second level of a stone building and it's always fine. Wolves cant reach you so they dont attack. I try to make sure I live through play sessions because the vitamin equilibrium buff persists and I really like the movespeed and fortitude parts of it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
We made a lot of enemies today. Then they all wanted to become allies with us. WEIRD. It just keeps happening. :)

They assaulted our base for like 30 minutes with 11+ people. It ended up netting us something like 30 guns, almost half of them carbines, with hundreds of bullets and several sets of armor. Oh, and 50 grenades they had for... reasons?

So then they complain enough the mega guild OwO shows up. We've been cool with them even though they sank a sloop of ours yesterday b/c they're so large they have poor coordination within sectors. But then they decided to test our might. Classic 3 man company vs 500 man company. A boat that has attacked us has never left alive. We were hoping to get our first gally kill, but no luck. Pretty fucking close though!

Ended up having both those companies coming to our island. Basically we promised not hit the first crew (who we've been DECIMATING. Their leader had to SWIM to our island because THEY HAD NO FUCKING BOATS LEFT. WE SANK THEM ALL), and the mega guild hired us to hit their enemies. They're feeding us intel and targets and we do what we do. And we have basically a free pass through all their grids (4 or so).

Get good enough at killin and some one will eventually pay you to do it!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Is there a company that will take in lost souls on the forums? Kraken PvP. Been hanging out with a RL bro down in b13, but the group he runs with is very small time. I want to convince him to change it up with me.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I've been having fun on a friend's little 2x2 server. Had an awesome beautiful horse and a big fat bear that both got eaten by a lion. Built a big ass schooner and did a few treasure maps. Crashed on of my earlier sloops into a rock in the fog at full speed and sunk it :D

Got spawn camped by that crazy croc. Ended up punching it to death through a wall.

Do you know what hardware setup your friend is using for their 2x2 setup? Is it a 3rd party hosting setup or are they using their own hardware? I ran several ARK servers for several years in the past and may start up an ATLAS setup myself. For now I've just been playing official and am enjoying it so far. I wish the game didn't favor tames so much(if you want to gather mass resources you need the right tames) which made more sense in ARK, otherwise so far I like the direction and high level of dedication to making needed improvements.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I figured out the mysterious self destructing ship thing. Any boat sitting still unanchored takes damage. Why? I have no idea. Nothing tells you this, but I confirmed it after a weekend of underwater building using a diving attachment.

I had a cheap sloop parked out where I was building but way too deep to anchor, and after a day or two out there I noticed all of the planks were under 1000 health.

So I kind of wasted my weekend building the harbour that I don't even need. After my last schooner got thrown 100 feet in the air by some kind of magical physics fairie I figured that you just were never supposed to go in shallow water with a big boat. They have those dinghy docks, maybe you park in deep water and just row to shore right?

I guess it is just a matter of experimentation where you figure out where you can safely anchor by losing 20 hours of wood chopping and building when the dice roll doesn't go your way.

Building underwater is a major asspain. You can't see anything at night so you have to build during daylight hours, and inevitably sharks would show up and I'd waste the entire day fighting them.

Getting a large gate to snap to existing walls is next to impossible too. If I had it to do over I'd build a line of foundations on the sea floor walls up to the gate and get that placed, then do the rest. Building system is even more broken than Conan.

I'm staaaaaaaaaaaaaaack
20190111012630_1.jpg

A shark hit me so hard I almost flew into orbit:
20190110222041_1.jpg

Looking down:
20190110222018_1.jpg

Tattoos! Can't see much of them though:
20190107143704_1.jpg

Xevy

Log Wizard
2x ish. Maybe more if you put it higher up.

This is an old clip but you can kind of see how far it is:

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Bigger ships can anchor in deeper waters btw!

I've got this discovery island, which I think means you can wander about and find things. I went over most of it and climbed up high and looked around with a spyglass and I didn't see anything.

Later though I noticed a red dot on my map:
20190115123543_1.jpg

Nothing there though. I tried digging all over with a shovel. Nada.

Vedette

<Donor>
I went piracy and beast taming. Does anyone know if diving is worth it? We've do have a fairly well geared schooner that we could use it on.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
If you go salvaging you need a second crew mate to shoot the sharks and jellyfish you will need to clear out first

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea sharks are annoying, especially now that a bow will break before you can kill one. And you can't see anything at night.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
you can dye lanterns to shine various colors under water, I use silver as LED light, also adjust gamma if need be, and bow should be used just to grab agro to lead mob to surface so a ship ballista or whatever you have to shoot said mobs

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users