Attack on Titan (Live Action Movie)

Terial

Trakanon Raider
For those into Anima, a friend of my introduced me to the anima on netflix, good stuff. Seems there is a live action coming too.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Never really got into a animes but this one kinda got me into it. The dialogue is still retarded but the world/mystery is interesting and the fights are cool.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anime is pretty good follows the manga very closely. The mystery is definitely what keeps me reading. I'll check it out.

Siliconemelons

Have to say the "World" hooked me quickly - the idea that the giants are not exactly what they seem was a little too apparent from the beginning so I think it is that "But what seems bad is not really bad!... JK THEY ARE BAD!" type thing- what didn't hook me was the meat and the "presented" story- I could not get into it that much...a live action may be better just because they will do it quicker than an anime series will.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That looks terrible. It needs a big budget western treatment, however, a western studio was butcher it so meh.

Zastlyn

Peasant
I loved this anime, super awesome, and I normally hate that shit. A live action movie will probably suck shit though so fuck that

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
That looks terrible. It needs a big budget western treatment, however, a western studio was butcher it so meh.
It looks pretty fucking spot on to the manga and anime. I can't imagine them following the manga though since it's not done.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I would expect something similar to what the live action Death Note was: Abbreviated story line of the first core story of the manga.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I got the DVD's for the 15 year old last Christmas, she got me to watch them with her. It wasn't that bad, and the story was interesting. Live action could be interesting but it would seem to be pretty hard to pull off without a huge budget.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Watched a dvd rip last night of the live action one, if you're interested in seeing it. Hardcoded english subs, good (dvd) quality. I've never read the source material, and never seen the animated movie. It was pretty weird, obviously, and there were a few things I could have done without, but it was decent for someone that isn't really into that sort of thing. I get the concept of those hip-mounted mobility...whatevers, but in live action it looked both good and hokey at the same time. Sort of like when Arrow or Spider-Man shoots a line off into the sky and you wonder what the fuck it was attaching to. They talked several times about there not being enough space to use them, and then other times they'd pretty much just fly all over regardless of what buildings might not be close enough. And how did the anchors hold, and then release when needed?

Anyway, aside from those things not making a lot of actual sense, the rest of it was decent. You have your typical weird anime shit, like the girl that apparently eats potatoes raw, and the random silly moments, but they didn't annoy me. And contrary to most asian girls, I actually found several of the chicks attractive. Especially the one with the aviator goggles.

The Titans were suitably grotesque and weird. I guess it is fortunate that Titans don't have genitalia so I didn't have to see giant swinging dicks all over the place, huh? It also makes no sense how a single sword blow in the correct place is enough to literally explode that section of the Titan in a spray of goop, but whatever, I can chalk that up to cinematic license. I still think a bunch of cannons aimed at the correct spot would be better than this weird contraption they wear and some sword, but maybe they are out of materials to make more cannon powder, which would make sense I guess. Point being, don't think too hard about it I suppose. It was decent if you don't worry about the original premise being outlandish.

The one thing that sort of bothers me is that there is clearly a sequel. Not because I feel there has to be, but because they actually show scenes from it at the end of the movie!! It is called Attack on Titan: End of the World if I remember correctly. Now I need to watch that damn thing whenever it comes out!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
All I've heard from anyone who's seen the series is that the movie is (not suprisingly) garbage.

Love the series. You need to watch it (on Netflix??), Mr. Poopy Butthole, before Beth gets you.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
You made me look up a pic of Hange. Cute.

On a different note: The live action Ruroni Kenshin trilogy is good. I highly recommend.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
few notes on Vvoid's post...
According to the anime, cannons don't work because the titans regenerate extremely fast. They spend a bit of time talking about why the slice at the back of the neck works when nothing else does, but haven't seen the movie so don't know if they covered that well there. Also, its my understanding the sequel is coming out in like a month or something really quick. But every trailer I saw was super asian overload so I may have misunderstood.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I thought this movie was alright. To me the biggest problems were the fact they basically completely changed the story and some of the major character. Mikasa and eren are now lovers, some major characters are just completely gone (Levi?), and at the same time, the movie does something really strange. They kinda don't develop the characters at all, assuming that the viewer already knows enough about them to jump in, which makes no sense when they've changed shit. This huge mistake takes away from the rest of the movie as you kinda throw your hands up and go wtf did I just see from time to time. Like the scene where the guy grabs a titan and throws it over his shoulder? I know titans are light, but da fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk was that. Aside from that, I'm actually okay with the titans. They look perfectly fine, perhaps even charming in a godzilla reminiscent way. And the movie definitely makes some scenes tense and entertaining. The only really terrible looking part was the cgi when their necks get chopped. It just looks so, so, SOO incredibly awful.

I think this could work in a 'show your dad this anime movie' sort of way, but fans of the tv series are going to be disappointed.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
few notes on Vvoid's post...
According to the anime, cannons don't work because the titans regenerate extremely fast. They spend a bit of time talking about why the slice at the back of the neck works when nothing else does, but haven't seen the movie so don't know if they covered that well there. Also, its my understanding the sequel is coming out in like a month or something really quick. But every trailer I saw was super asian overload so I may have misunderstood.
Yeah I know, but I felt that a cannon shot to the neck would work a lot better than flinging around on wires with swords. But I'm not Japanese, so....

I thought this movie was alright. To me the biggest problems were the fact they basically completely changed the story and some of the major character. Mikasa and eren are now lovers, some major characters are just completely gone (Levi?), and at the same time, the movie does something really strange. They kinda don't develop the characters at all, assuming that the viewer already knows enough about them to jump in, which makes no sense when they've changed shit. This huge mistake takes away from the rest of the movie as you kinda throw your hands up and go wtf did I just see from time to time. Like the scene where the guy grabs a titan and throws it over his shoulder? I know titans are light, but da fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk was that. Aside from that, I'm actually okay with the titans. They look perfectly fine, perhaps even charming in a godzilla reminiscent way. And the movie definitely makes some scenes tense and entertaining. The only really terrible looking part was the cgi when their necks get chopped. It just looks so, so, SOO incredibly awful.

I think this could work in a 'show your dad this anime movie' sort of way, but fans of the tv series are going to be disappointed.
Did we watch the same movie?

Mikasa and Eren weren't lovers unless I missed something. They were friends, and Mikasa had the hots for Armin. I'm not saying that Eren might not have had a thing for Eren, but Armin is the one that watches her get (supposedly) eaten and is all broken up about it, they say his girlfriend died, etc. Unless I'm seriously messing up the two dudes, which is possible, but I don't think so. Also, while they didn't go into detail about characters much, I felt there was enough there to know what the hell was going on between the 3 major ones. The Titans attack, she gets eaten, they join the military because they have no families left. What more is there to understand?

Ome

Molten Core Raider
You got Eren and Armen mixed up. Anyhow this aint top of the line CGI and they do change/omit some characters but overall its a decent watch if you are a fan of AoT and dont go in expecting too much. My three kids who love the series gave it a thumbs up even with the complaints they had.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You got Eren and Armen mixed up. Anyhow this aint top of the line CGI and they do change/omit some characters but overall its a decent watch if you are a fan of AoT and dont go in expecting too much. My three kids who love the series gave it a thumbs up even with the complaints they had.
But wait. At the very beginning, when they go to the wall, Mikasa is looking all dreamy-eyed at Armin, and he gives her his scarf to keep warm. The scarf she has later. Sure, Eren looks sort of the same way at Mikasa, but Armin is the one that couldn't get out of the church while she was holding the baby. Right? Or am I taking crazy pills?

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
That's Eren that gives her the scarf... he gets trapped in the church. Stop with the crazy pills.

Anyways, the acting was pretty bad, the cgi was low budget, the girls were pretty cute, they tried to condense too much into 1hr 20mins, if it had at least 2 hrs they could have at least fleshed out some of the relationships. Other than that, that was only a small part of the story, must be planning a trilogy or something.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That's Eren that gives her the scarf... he gets trapped in the church. Stop with the crazy pills.
I guess I'm racist, since they both looked the same to me
frown.png

EDIT: Hah, just watched the beginning of it again (thanks subtitles at work!) and yeah, I fucked it up bad. All along I thought Eren was the guy at the beginning that had the little toy for the kid, but they clearly call him Armin, and don't meet Eren until he's standing there looking all aloof with the scarf. Sorry guys, I Astro'd it
frown.png