Audio receivers...

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Currently in the market for an audio receiver that has pass through for 4K. Seen a lot of reviews. I already have a 7.2 setup, and could easily add 4 more channels (high front and high rear speakers). But honestly all I'd like to have more than one 4K source, but if I'm upgrading, might as well maximize.

Who has dipped their dick into Atmos and could give an honest review? Should I just go for affordability? I don't have a monster area for a million channels, but 7.2.4 is totally possible. The $700 Denon seems to hit that hot spot.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2.4, have had it for less than a week. Initial impressions of the Atmos speakers are less than stellar but I need more time to evaluate. Regardless of whether they are a longterm win, I had the same issue as you and I needed a new receiver in order to pass higher resolution, refresh and HDR signals, so I figured I might as well pick up Atmos and DTS:X while I was at it.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I just upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2.4, have had it for less than a week. Initial impressions of the Atmos speakers are less than stellar but I need more time to evaluate. Regardless of whether they are a longterm win, I had the same issue as you and I needed a new receiver in order to pass higher resolution, refresh and HDR signals, so I figured I might as well pick up Atmos and DTS:X while I was at it.
Which did you go with and how much was it?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

That's the one I bought last year. Absolutely love it. There is a newer model out now, of course. As I've stated many times here, I have been buying Yamaha receivers for over 30 years, and I have never had a single reason to complain. The one that I bought first (in 1986) is still working in a friend's garage.

I currently have a 5.1.4 setup, not professionally optimized or anything because I'm in a shitty apartment so fuck it, and it sounds fabulous. I'm sure that in a proper room with the proper tweaking it would sound even more amazing, but it does cost quite a bit more than some of those others listed, so I guess it depends on what you are looking to spend. I used to download movies immediately when 1080p was available, and now I feel like if I don't wait for the 4K Atmos remux I'm being cheated, and will wait a month or more after something comes out just to get it for my first watch.

I shill Yamaha so hard to anyone that will listen, I should have gotten some free shit by now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I don't need anything that pricy since a $4-700 unit will perform identically, just won't have 7 HDMI ports, and a bunch of other inputs/outputs I won't need. Really only need 3xHDMI, since my wife honestly needs to get rid of the cable box. PS4pro, Switch, 4K BD player (that I may be able to get rid of or move once I get a proper receiver, since the PS4 pro makes it redundant).

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am still using the cheap ass Yamaha 475 I bought after my new Denon died for the second time in a year. I only intended to use it for a few months while I find aomething better but its been great. I do need to upgrade to something better though. I need 4k pass through at least. I am in no hurry though so ill either buy a higher end Yamaha to go with my Klipsch premier set up or wait for a good deal on something.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bought an 11.2 Denon from Accessories4Less, it was about $1300. I have never owned a Denon before, always Onkyo. I kind of wish I had tried Yamaha instead of Denon this time around.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So new found annoyance, since the PS4 is plugged directly to the TV, and the receiver is too, both via HDMI, HDMI-CEC detects the PS4 as a bluray player, and sends that shit to my existing Samsung receiver (Samsung TV), and changes the receiver input to bluray anytime my PS4 controller is turned on or off.

Audio is currently being passed from PS4 to TV via HDMI, and optical to the receiver.

Just another reason to invest in a new one. I could turn off HDMI-CEC but then I'd have to power on/off each device individually. Not sure what's more annoying.

Also really wish the PS3 media remote worked with the PS4, PS4 controllers don't last for 4-6 hours of Netflix marathoning unless I turn them off after skipping the intro of each episode (which changes the audio source).

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm shipping back the Denon, cannot get it to EQ my subs correctly. Going back to my old Onkyo 7.1 non atmos for now because it sounds awesome. Will need to something new pretty soon though, will probably try out Yamaha.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Trying accessories4less. picked up an yamaha rxv583 7.2 setup..to replace my harmon kardon which was slowly dying...(it occasionally would not work)

room is set for 5.1 right now with definitive technology speakers(mythos center, and front left. a different model line rear that i got off ebay for cheap, they sound great.
, so i will just use it that way (i hardwired the speakers into the wall-except for the subwoofer)