Audiobooks

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
Being new to audiobooks I have a few questions. It seems a few of the audiobooks I've downloaded are in mp3 format, does this player acknowledge that file type or is it a certain file type only, like Audible?

I've discovered audiobooks are much better than music when hitting the treadmill. Keeps my mind from wandering.

Smart Audiobook Player has worked with everything I've thrown at it. Some of the books were certainly in MP3 format. As long as the files are named properly and all in a single folder it has never had an issue playing any type of file.

I hear you about the treadmill. I listen to audiobooks almost exclusively while jogging. Keeps me interested in something, and helps me forget how much I hate jogging to begin with.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yep, fuck jogging lol, If I dwell on hating it I quit before my goal. Thanks for the update, I'll give it a shot.

• 1Solidarity

lindz

#DDs
Used to do Audible but never ended up using all my credits. Lately, I've just been using the library. We have three different audiobook services at my library so I've never had trouble finding the book I want. Sometimes I'll have to wait for a title I want, but I've just started putting things on hold a couple weeks ahead of time. It's worked great.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I have no trouble focusing on audiobooks and driving, in fact I much prefer it over music.
I'm the same way. I rarely listen to music when I drive these days. I've averaged about 4-5 books per month so far this year.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm really enjoying audiobooks with Kindle Unlimited. Lets me switch between reading and listening. I'm consuming more books because of it, I'm on like 3-4 books a week atm. Definitely worth $10 a month

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The Witcher series audio books are so good I’m worried they’re going to ruin me for all other audio books. Peter Kenny is like a young Roy Dotrice.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Has anyone done the Dune audiobooks? I've actually never read Dune, and with Blade Runner looking poised for success looks like frenchy might get a shot at Dune, thought I would get into those next but I was uncertain. There's like 20+ Dune books up there. Was thinking of just doing the core books.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Has anyone done the Dune audiobooks? I've actually never read Dune, and with Blade Runner looking poised for success looks like frenchy might get a shot at Dune, thought I would get into those next but I was uncertain. There's like 20+ Dune books up there. Was thinking of just doing the core books.

The only books worth reading are the original 6, though I haven't checked out the audiobooks.

All the ones with his son and Kevin Anderson are absolute trash. Like, beyond trash. When I read them I was blown away by how fucking bad they were, I was so disappointed. Just on every level they were a disgrace, an obviously cynical cash-grab. Here is a long rant that I think fits my opinion on them.
The Wertzone: The Winds of Dune...or should that be hot air?

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I have all 6 of original Dune books on audiobook, have listened to all of them with exception of the last half of Chapterhouse (still working on it). The audiobooks are performed really well.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Thanks, I think I will burn through The Broken Earth series first and then maybe dive into it.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
The Witcher series audio books are so good I’m worried they’re going to ruin me for all other audio books. Peter Kenny is like a young Roy Dotrice.

I now search for narrations done by Peter Kenny rather than by authors, he is great. Check him out in the Culture Series by Iain M Banks.

• 1Like

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm

Speaking of...R.I.P. Roy Dotrice.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
If you really want to treat yourself, grab Abecrombie's First Law Trilogy on Audible. Steven Pacey is a hell of a narrator. It's a series I'll go back and listen to once a year because the performance is so good. The three stand-alone novels are a different story. First two are some other guy, and while he doesn't suck, well he kind of does. Luckily, Pacey comes back for Red Country, and if you listen to the first trilogy, and know the story, you'll understand why, and it's fucking awesome.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
If you really want to treat yourself, grab Abecrombie's First Law Trilogy on Audible. Steven Pacey is a hell of a narrator. It's a series I'll go back and listen to once a year because the performance is so good. The three stand-alone novels are a different story. First two are some other guy, and while he doesn't suck, well he kind of does. Luckily, Pacey comes back for Red Country, and if you listen to the first trilogy, and know the story, you'll understand why, and it's fucking awesome.

I have been saying this for years, amazing books, equally awesome narrator.

• 1Solidarity

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I use Audible, but i go through about a book a month so it ends up working out. This is especially true if you're listening to super long audiobooks.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

There's copies of "Best Served Cold" and "The Heroes" read by Pacey on Audible right now.

That series is amazing though, probably the best fantasy stuff I've experienced for ages.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
There's copies of "Best Served Cold" and "The Heroes" read by Pacey on Audible right now.

That series is amazing though, probably the best fantasy stuff I've experienced for ages.

I'll be damned. They must have recorded a new production. It's too bad my old versions weren't swapped out, but I guess I know where I'll drop some credits next. Thanks for the heads up.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
The difference between good and bad narrators can completely kill a series for me. I decided to try and listen to the gentlemen bastard series and the narrator is so boring.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Agree about bad narrators, listening to oathbringer almost made me decide Sanderson sucked, the bitch that reads library at mount char goes back and forth between robot voice and teenage girl, but the guy who reead persopolis rising did great voices for guys and passable for girls

• 1Like