Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will just wait until later to watch this. I only go to see kick ass(Not the actual movies named Kickass) movies in theaters.../wave Maverick.

Juvarisx

Florida
I will just wait until later to watch this. I only go to see kick ass(Not the actual movies named Kickass) movies in theaters.../wave Maverick.

If you are going to skip the theater I don't know if I'd recommend watching it really. On a stadium laser IMAX this may have been the most immersive theater going experience I have had, but really no-one is kidding about the story. The humans returning was fun and apocalyptic for the Na'vi and the last hour was James Cameron showing everyone how much better at action he is than everyone else, but everything in between....eeeehhhh.

The underwater filming was fantastic though since its fun knowing they made the actors film it in water IRL to show off the rigs.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Saw it in a laser 3D high frame rate etc. brand new theater and the visuals were amazing. I think the high frame rate helped the 3D effect considerably as it felt 'real' and not 'soap opera' ish.

As to the plot ...

The visuals were amazing.
high frame rates (interpolated or otherwise) usually cause the soap opera effect in my experience, so I'm confused by this comment. The Hobbit in 48fps was awful (the movies were awful obviously, but 48fps sucked for film)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
high frame rates (interpolated or otherwise) usually cause the soap opera effect in my experience, so I'm confused by this comment. The Hobbit in 48fps was awful (the movies were awful obviously, but 48fps sucked for film)
the high frame rate on the hobbit was awful.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Juvarisx

Florida

Mine had the HFR and I guess Cameron fixed it to work like it was supposed to, it really did enhance the 3D and didn't add soap opera effect at all.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So I took my daughter to see this today as she asked and was really excited to see it, big new movie, not in 3d because fuck that. I couldn't tell if it was HFR. We went to IPIC, which is an awesome dinner theater chain if you have one in your town. In my opinion, it looked good/great, I guess but I didn't ever feel wowed by the visuals. The Story was weak overall with some good sections and lots of things that didn't make sense to me if you think it out. My overall Rating: It's MID; its so Mid, I have already gotten over it. Its very 7-7.5; In an era where we got plenty of good entertainment, it would be passe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
$17 million preshows. Not spectacular but most people didn't see it doing comic book levels for preshows. Similar to the last Jurassic Park film which made $145 million in the first weekend.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
$17 million preshows. Not spectacular but most people didn't see it doing comic book levels for preshows. Similar to the last Jurassic Park film which made $145 million in the first weekend.

With the exception of endgame, 3 hour movies tend to not have big thursday's, because they only get 1 or 2 showings per screen, not 3.

This movie will certainly be a movie that does money over time (like the original), especially because people will be willing to wait to see it in a premium screen, if tickets sales for this weekend are any indication. Its basically impossible to get a ticket to the Dolby or fake Imax at my local AMC, but the normal theaters are pretty empty.

DickTrickle

With the exception of endgame, 3 hour movies tend to not have big thursday's, because they only get 1 or 2 showings per screen, not 3.

This movie will certainly be a movie that does money over time (like the original), especially because people will be willing to wait to see it in a premium screen, if tickets sales for this weekend are any indication. Its basically impossible to get a ticket to the Dolby or fake Imax at my local AMC, but the normal theaters are pretty empty.
Some showings started at 3pm, fwiw. Aside from the long runtime, these types of movies just don't tend to have that younger audience that is more invested in being the very first.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Pass. This is sounding just like the first movie, which was so memorable that I couldn't tell you a single character name at gunpoint. I don't need to pay to see a three hour rendering tech demo.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
If you see it at all it's worth seeing in the nicest 3D theater you can find. Cameron's whole process is why 3D was even a thing 10+ years ago and he still has it. It pops in a way that no other 3D movies I've seen since the original Avatar. It truly is gorgeous.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hobbit HFR had the motion interpolation then the one Will Smith movie did not and reviewers said it looked better. 48fps or 60/120 works fine as long as you don't have the bullshit tech tacked on.

DickTrickle

Looks like it's going to come in at the low end of box office expectations for the weekend. The real test will be the legs, but that opening still seems soft.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
The humans returning was fun and apocalyptic for the Na'vi and the last hour was James Cameron showing everyone how much better at action he is than everyone else,

The action in this movie puts pretty much any blockbuster since the last Avatar to shame. It is very easy to track who is doing what to whom and how nature is murdering the humans. There was even CGI action in daytime! Granted the climax of the climax happens under darkness, but that actually felt like a story beat for Avatar 3 and the lighting was still really good.

Someone mentioned everything being too clean as a negative, and maybe it is in the non-action scenes, but for the action scenes, the clean visuals and incredible lighting remove any muddiness we usually get for a high-CGI fight from any other recent movie.

Its been said a million times already, and will be said more I'm sure, but the plot is basically as simple as the first one (just with more eyes on leaving things open for Avatars 3-6), but if you have any interest in the movie at all, you would be doing yourself a disservice to not see it on the biggest, best screen you can find.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The action in this movie puts pretty much any blockbuster since the last Avatar to shame. It is very easy to track who is doing what to whom and how nature is murdering the humans. There was even CGI action in daytime! Granted the climax of the climax happens under darkness, but that actually felt like a story beat for Avatar 3 and the lighting was still really good.

Someone mentioned everything being too clean as a negative, and maybe it is in the non-action scenes, but for the action scenes, the clean visuals and incredible lighting remove any muddiness we usually get for a high-CGI fight from any other recent movie.

Its been said a million times already, and will be said more I'm sure, but the plot is basically as simple as the first one (just with more eyes on leaving things open for Avatars 3-6), but if you have any interest in the movie at all, you would be doing yourself a disservice to not see it on the biggest, best screen you can find.
This is a key selling point for the higher frame rate. It helps to eliminate the 'tinfoil in a blender' sensation that dominated the Bayformers movies what with every frame ending up kinda blurry due to the extent and speed of what was being displayed on the screen & tracked by a moving viewpoint.

A significant potion of this movie is just providing connective tissue between the original and the 'grand story' of the remaining movies which appears to include Sigourney Weaver as a messiah.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was a good movie just so damn long. I will never watch it again. The accents of the boys were awful. They even did a flashback of one of them as a kid and he had no accent lol.