Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
They're scratching each others back i'm sure too.

They are. It's probably part of the reason Disney seems to be shifting Star Wars into the summer movie season where it originally started. There wouldn't have been any overlap with any of the planned movies (vacating December of 2019 is because they want Frozen 2 there and December is a pretty natural fit for that one) but had they kept the franchise parked there it would have led to some eventual conflict and they are probably figuring SW and Avatar would have more overlap than any of their live-action fairy tail conversions. Though they're creating a conflict with the Marvel movies to do so.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Funny thing with Disney, most people don't realize how much money the theme parks bring in. Here's a graphic from 2015:

Here's Where Disney Really Makes Money

where%20disneys%20money%20comes%20from_03.png

Theme parks are double the revenue of their studios. Disney theme parks are a big deal. Keep in mind that they have parks all over the world and Avatar had huge success overseas. It did 2 BILLION dollars internationally compared to $700M domestic. To say it's going to flop is ludicrous tbh.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't think it will flop but I do not think it is really the "Disney standard" either. Again, I think this came down to see the whole that was left at Animal Kingdom when they dropped the fantasy side of the vision and this was a great way to accomplish their original plan. Avatar is internationally recognized. Their sequels could be quite successful and Disney is really riding the movie money train pretty hard. Their cruise ships have been completely revamped to include a lot of Disney movie entertainment. Their new park expansions are all movie influenced. Honestly, Disney, on average, are making the best movies and competition is not even close in my opinion when you bring them all together. So, I guess it makes sense that they ride this train as long as possible. I'm not falling over with excitement about Avatar but it does look very attractive so i'll reserve my opinion until I get back from Disney.

spronk

FPS noob
ravishing - thats revenue though, not profits. theme parks are vastly more expensive to operate than other segments of their business. For example on a $21b revenue stream from media, they made a profit of around $8b. On a $15b revenue stream from theme parks, they made a profit of $3.5b. Its a great business no doubt, but profit wise its not anywhere in the same league as media or entertainment, which have much higher multipliers on successful products, whereas for theme parks generally every extra $1 in revenue is always gonna cost you $.50-70 in crew, land, infrastructure, etc whereas a movie (game, etc) has a fixed cost and you can make 2x, 4x, or 100x without spending a lot more.

what it is, is dependable so disney world will always be that backbone of money coming in if you have a year you release a bunch of shitty movies *cough* tomorrowland, lone ranger

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think it will flop but I do not think it is really the "Disney standard" either. Again, I think this came down to see the whole that was left at Animal Kingdom when they dropped the fantasy side of the vision and this was a great way to accomplish their original plan. Avatar is internationally recognized. Their sequels could be quite successful and Disney is really riding the movie money train pretty hard. Their cruise ships have been completely revamped to include a lot of Disney movie entertainment. Their new park expansions are all movie influenced. Honestly, Disney, on average, are making the best movies and competition is not even close in my opinion when you bring them all together. So, I guess it makes sense that they ride this train as long as possible. I'm not falling over with excitement about Avatar but it does look very attractive so i'll reserve my opinion until I get back from Disney.

Goin to animal kingdom in an hour will let ya know how it is!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
ravishing - thats revenue though, not profits. theme parks are vastly more expensive to operate than other segments of their business. For example on a $21b revenue stream from media, they made a profit of around $8b. On a $15b revenue stream from theme parks, they made a profit of $3.5b. Its a great business no doubt, but profit wise its not anywhere in the same league as media or entertainment, which have much higher multipliers on successful products, whereas for theme parks generally every extra $1 in revenue is always gonna cost you $.50-70 in crew, land, infrastructure, etc whereas a movie (game, etc) has a fixed cost and you can make 2x, 4x, or 100x without spending a lot more.

what it is, is dependable so disney world will always be that backbone of money coming in if you have a year you release a bunch of shitty movies *cough* tomorrowland, lone ranger

I never said profits anywhere in my post. And I wasn't comparing it to their media division either. I said they take in double the revenue compared to their studio division. Their movies serve to feed their theme parks, as Muligan mentions.

And using your numbers, I'd say making 23% profit is pretty damn good. I'd like to know what their profit on the studio division is.

Oldbased

> Than U
john carter was much better than avatar. hated avatar and it gave me a massive headache from the 3d.
I never saw 3d. I thought Avatar was fine. Loved the military stuff other than that man woman actor. Rodinmez or whatever her name is that sounds like she smoked 3x as many cigs as I ever did.

• 1Solidarity

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Avatar was actually very good in 3d and imo one of the few films that used 3d well.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Avatar was actually very good in 3d and imo one of the few films that used 3d well.
its the only 3d film i ever watched that gave me a headache/nauseous feeling and ive been going to see 3D films since Friday the 13th 3 in 3D. maybe it was just that theater had some weird setup, but i saw other 3D movies at that same AMC theater and was fine. i think Avatar and all its blue faggotry made me ill.

Cybsled

More like you were a wuss who couldn't handle the 3D lol

Avatar did 3D right because it was filmed with 3D in mind and had true depth of field. I remember where was one great shot where they are inside the giant hovership thing and the scene felt more real because of how the 3D was (characters up front, then the clear cockpit glass, then the stuff beyond that with really distinct depth of field).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
More like you were a wuss who couldn't handle the 3D lol

Avatar did 3D right because it was filmed with 3D in mind and had true depth of field. I remember where was one great shot where they are inside the giant hovership thing and the scene felt more real because of how the 3D was (characters up front, then the clear cockpit glass, then the stuff beyond that with really distinct depth of field).
lol, the 3d in avatar was good even if it did make my head hurt, but it still wasnt as good as the 3d in Up!. thats still easily my favorite 3D effects in a fiolm because it was done subtly. during the zeppelin fight, you feel like you are about to fall off too.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Funny thing with Disney, most people don't realize how much money the theme parks bring in. Here's a graphic from 2015:

Here's Where Disney Really Makes Money

View attachment 134847

Theme parks are double the revenue of their studios. Disney theme parks are a big deal. Keep in mind that they have parks all over the world and Avatar had huge success overseas. It did 2 BILLION dollars internationally compared to $700M domestic. To say it's going to flop is ludicrous tbh.

Do you have another chart with net income?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Do you have another chart with net income?

No, do you?

Net income is a dumb metric tbh. Sure, we all want to make profit, but it doesn't tell you how LARGE of a player you are. If I have a lemonade stand with net income of $50, am I doing better than the average tech company that posts negatives?

Revenue is a better metric for discerning a company's footprint.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know why you are that worried ravishing. you probably make less than a lemonade stand with two employees.