BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This story just gets wackier. 3 sequels coming out 11 years after the original? On top of that, the original movie hasn't really held up at all. It's not like you see it on HBO all the time or anyone even talks about it. It was the top grossing movie because it was the first real showcase for the nifty new 3D technology that everybody thought was going to be the next big thing. It wasn't the next big thing and nobody really loved the movie all that much aside from the visual aspects. Betting on James Cameron has been a great move in the past but this just seems like a boondoggle.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This story just gets wackier. 3 sequels coming out 11 years after the original? On top of that, the original movie hasn't really held up at all. It's not like you see it on HBO all the time or anyone even talks about it. It was the top grossing movie because it was the first real showcase for the nifty new 3D technology that everybody thought was going to be the next big thing. It wasn't the next big thing and nobody really loved the movie all that much aside from the visual aspects. Betting on James Cameron has been a great move in the past but this just seems like a boondoggle.
This.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>

They just opened Avatar land and cir du solei avatar that's touring this year.

I have a feeling that they expected avatar 2 this year and James Cameron shit the bed.

Cameron is probably stalling until they can reinvent smellovision or something.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's a shame the story ended up being so derivative. The first part of the movie up until what's his face gets his blue cat body I thought was great. I was really interested in the sci-fi setting that was being presented.

Then it became Dances with Blue Cats and went on to do nothing new and our "hero" sides against humanity. "Haha losers, go back to you doomed planet while I bang hot blue puss."

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
It's a shame the story ended up being so derivative. The first part of the movie up until what's his face gets his blue cat body I thought was great. I was really interested in the sci-fi setting that was being presented.

Then it became Dances with Blue Cats and went on to do nothing new and our "hero" sides against humanity. "Haha losers, go back to you doomed planet while I bang hot blue puss."
Agreed. I liked Avatar good enough but I felt the ending should have been all humans go home and the company pays for his legs even though he punked them for humanity reasons. The fact that there is going to be a 2, 3 and 4 and Steven Lang is in all of them (imdb) tells us the next 3 are the same as the first pretty much. Angry company. Military meanness. Dinosaur Weaver.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I must be a heathen, because I still like Avatar for what it was. The story is decent. It gives me a great "MMO" vibe. Remember the reports of all these people killing themselves after it came out, hoping that they would return to life in the world of Avatar? fucking idiots. But the movie itself filled me with wonder. Not so much the plot, but the world they had created. I love Pandora. I actually have the 3D bluray. It took me so long to actually get that. NO ONE sells the fucking 3D version, I guess because most TV's didn't offer 3D when this movie was released on Bluray?

Anyway, I have that, as well as the 2D extended cut. Love it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't hate it or anything. It looks great and like I said I really liked the opening act. The story is just really, really stock and has a weird message about betraying your species for blue trim.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It's not just blue trim. It's blue that's really black trim. How could you NOT betray your species for that?

stzs1.jpg

Yum.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>

Thanks man, I needed a good laugh.

As for no cultural footprint, I found out a female co-worker and her husband (both early 40's) named their daughter Neytiri, she's about 4 now.

My friend naming his kid Heath when Dark Knight came out is one thing, don't know how you win someone over with Neytiri though.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I just find this pushing back, and pushing back again of the sequels to be just sad.

Mostly due to: James Cameron is (was) a really good film maker. I grew up watching all his greats, Terminator, Aliens, T2 etc.

And now he's wasting time, trying to . . . what, recapture the spark or the feel of the first Avatar film. Instead of that he could be making . . . something else . . . anything . . . just make a film.

Cybsled

I admire the enthusiasm sequel wise, but I would be shocked if they can recapture the lightning in a bottle of the 1st one. As others have mentioned, part of what drove the 'wow' factor of the 1st one was the really well done 3D (despite what you thought of the film, the 3D in Avatar was pretty amazing)....which then was cheapened by everyone in Hollywood making shitty post-production 3D versions of everything to the point that the market became saturated and people stopped giving a shit.

The story did resonate with a lot of people and across gender lines, so it wasn't just the 3D that appealed to audiences (my GF at the time liked the love story/nature aspect, I liked the action scenes and world building). Internationally it also was well received. However, delivering a sequel almost 10 years later? The film had almost no IP presence outside the film, so people really only have their memories of the 1st film. If the 2nd film is a disappointment, I could see the 3rd film maybe making the light of day if they already invested in it (a la Matrix 2+3), but anything beyond that would be unlikely.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Avatar is an incredible, imaginative world that just happen to serve as a setting for a "meh" movie. It's not awful but I think it is (or was) overrated. I think Disney saw this though and they're going to help make it into something. There is no doubt they have a foundation and several great pieces that could be made into an epic and maybe Disney can help it into something that's worth 4 movies.

I enjoyed the first one enough but for some reason I don't feel it has that replay value that a movie that caliber should possess.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Avatar is an incredible, imaginative world that just happen to serve as a setting for a "meh" movie. It's not awful but I think it is (or was) overrated. I think Disney saw this though and they're going to help make it into something. There is no doubt they have a foundation and several great pieces that could be made into an epic and maybe Disney can help it into something that's worth 4 movies.

I enjoyed the first one enough but for some reason I don't feel it has that replay value that a movie that caliber should possess.

No it's not. It's basically a one episode TNG planet. The setting was visually striking but shallow as fuck. It's Native American furries and floating rocks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
I don't hate it or anything. It looks great and like I said I really liked the opening act. The story is just really, really stock and has a weird message about betraying your species for blue trim.

obligatory warhammer 40k avatar mashup quote

MEgVf.jpg

Cybsled

No it's not. It's basically a one episode TNG planet. The setting was visually striking but shallow as fuck. It's Native American furries and floating rocks.

It never fully came across in the movie, but they made a "field guide" to Pandora that expanded on not only that planet, but also on what was happening on Earth. Good read if you enjoy fictional atlas/field guide type books.