Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Watched this opening night, got a bunch of stuff to say about it that I probably should have written right away because now I can't remember a lot of it. I'll probably say more about it later on once I mull over it again.

I'm glad they brought back Stephen Lang in a new, deadlier form. That made me about 10x more interested in the movie once I found that out.

One thing that comes to mind: They did this whole intro thing explaining what happened in the 10? 15? years between Part 1 and where we pick up now. Then you see Pandora getting hit with nukes or whatever. Then it goes right from Sully to "one year later" to a shorter-haired blue guy waking up in a lab and punching out everyone around him, also blue guys.

I'll say this, during that one scene, I was more intrigued than I was at any other point in the movie, because I thought the shorter-haired guy was Sully a year later. That he was imprisoned in a lab with his head shaved and other Naavi were holding him down and working for the humans. Like the humans ALREADY WON and now the Weyland-Yutani equivalent had Jake as a test subject and had subjugated the Naavi so badly already that they were working with their mortal enemies out of necessity or something.

I had about a million questions in that moment and felt actually horrified by what I thought it was telling us. ...then it turns out it's just Lang's character and we cut back to Jake living his nice quiet life.

Just saying that for that one moment the movie had a really intense effect on me where I was genuinely freaked out about what Pandora's fate might have already been. Thought the movie was going to pull a full swerve by having the humans already victorious, and have the rest of it be about the Naavi fighting from below for liberation of the world.

There's some storytelling lesson to glean here but I don't know what. I'd like to see a movie that actually does go all the way and take the kind of risk I thought this movie was taking, for that one scene.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Among the new arrivals is Quaritch, cloned into a Na'vi body and fitted with his template's memories from before his death.

Holy shit that is beyond retarded. It completely invalidates the entire premise behind the first movie.

he commandeers a whaling vessel which is hunting tulkuns to harvest their brain enzymes for creating anti-aging remedies
lol this is comically retarded way to reinforce how much theyre evil white people.

I actually had a major issue with the diversity in this movie.

The human invaders in the movie are portrayed as almost entirely white men (and one Asian woman). It was unacceptably low diversity. Where was the diversity in casting for the irredeemably bad and disgusting comic-like villains?

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My theater didn't have this trailer.
It had 6 trailers, and I've already seen all but the 1st on this board.

First one was Mission Impossible featurette, showing the construction of a ramp for one of the big stunts in the movie that Tom is doing. Then it starts the MI 6 Trailer.
John Wick Chapter 4
Super Mario Bros.
Shazam 2
Indiana Jones.
(then they say put on your 3D glasses)
Final trailer is Ant-Man 3.

From that, right into the "movie is starting" images with a count down that Regal always shows before the IMAX movies.

For me, Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was the last, 3D glasses, trailer. Other than that the trailers were the same set. Was an AMC theater.

They did the whole self-indulgent AMC "movie is starting" bit with Nicole Kidman sitting in a theater and talking about how crucial movies are to our society and lives or whatever, with her bizarre-looking face. I feel like she's in on all kinds of weird-ass Hollywood shit. Probably spent some time on The Island.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Just saying that for that one moment the movie had a really intense effect on me where I was genuinely freaked out about what Pandora's fate might have already been. Thought the movie was going to pull a full swerve by having the humans already victorious, and have the rest of it be about the Naavi fighting from below for liberation of the world.

There's some storytelling lesson to glean here but I don't know what. I'd like to see a movie that actually does go all the way and take the kind of risk I thought this movie was taking, for that one scene.

What "risk" or "point" or "stakes" would there be? What story-beats even to bother with?

If Pandora is destroyed, there's nothing to "fight for" for the Navi. Sure you can film somewhere between 3 and 30 hours of Navi and Humans punching each other, but if neither side has any stakes in the fight because the outcome is already determined, paradise already lost, etc.. it'd all be kinda pointless. There'd not even be story-beats of "a victory for side A, not a victory for side B and a set-back for side A, now a comeback for side A" to structure the "conflict"?

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but if work hadn't filled me with food and drinks and bought the tickets, I'd have been less generous with my thoughts about it.

Since everyone is talking about the visuals and knows that the story is basically terrible, I was a little disappointed with the visuals too. Now, I haven't gone back to watch the first Avatar again to see if it was the same way, and it probably was, but everything was way too "clean" for my eye. Nothing was ever dirty, or even smudged. They are on a goddamn beach for a good chunk of time, and sand never sticks to anyone. They swim through absolutely crystal clear water at all times (yes, I'm sure it is the planet spirit and the lack of humans that makes it so awesome). Hard for me to explain I suppose, but it was just jarringly artificial to me this time around. Granted, it looked amazing if you take that factor out of it, particularly in IMAX 3D, but I had a hard time not seeing that "too clean" look.

Now, let's get the true elephant in the room out of the way. There were no people of color in the movie, unless you count blue as a color. Where was the diversity??? There was one absolutely fucking retarded asian chick character, and brief appearances by that brown scientist guy from the first movie, but I am almost positive there was never a single black on screen. This is an outrage! (touches ear) Hold on...I'm being told by our producers that all the humans are terrible, evil people that are trying to rape the planet and deserve to die, so obviously they couldn't ever be black. So scratch that, it is no longer problematic that there were zero black people in the movie that weren't also covered in blue cgi. (And without looking first, I would bet good money that close to half the Navi are played by blacks.)

Speaking of CGI, I felt they did an absolutely horrible job of differentiating some of the new blue characters. I couldn't tell one fucking brother from another until way late, and many of the new bad guys, including the big bad Phoenix has in his spoiler, took way too long for me to recognize just by sight. When he started talking it was obvious, but the faces of a lot of people at the beginning, when we're being introduced, were too similar for my eye. Which is funny because all the people we meet after that, like the sea people, are super easy to tell apart.

There's a human boy/man that was super-duper annoying, at least to me, and it is even worse when you see just how badly he is used in the movie. Spoiler alert, he gets captured by the humans at one point. They talk about it, then decide meh, nothing to be done, he's fucked, let's move. Later they see him again, they risk a lot to get him back, then they have to go back in for others and he goes with them, and when the blue family makes it out, not a single one of them says "Hey, where's the fucking human we just risked our lives for, and who is currently risking his life for us?" Nope, just fuck that guy. Oh wait, he's back again? We were so worried!! Also, looked super dumb having all these cgi beings running around, and one just as almost naked human running around with them, but with his oxygen face mask on too. GTFO.

For the less serious but still slightly annoying thoughts...if I heard the word "Bro" one more fucking time, I was going to unzip my backpack right there in the theater and start passing around the Natty Ice, play some Gamecube, and wave my big black dildo around to start some bro raping. Seriously, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to say bro 400 times in a movie non-ironically? Furthermore, when they literally wear nothing more than strands of rope/fabric and some fucking beads, how is it possible to go for over 3 hours without at least one goddamn nip or scrote slip?? How does that one remaining strand of fabric always cover the nip somehow? And before someone tries to explain it to me, yes I know it is all cgi and fake. But can you imagine being the guy that has to go in and make sure every scene has proper nip coverage?? Well, if they even have nips. Now I'm not so sure, because if they do, one strand shouldn't be enough to cover up the entire thing for every female ever shown. Particularly the pregnant ones. You know those nips would be huge and brown (purple?) and require a couple square feet of fabric to hide.

Oh, and did I mention that I had to sit next to an honest to God tranny for the whole movie? He/she (male masquerading as female) started the movie trying to act like a giddy schoolgirl, literally making "teehee" sounds while drumming his feet and clapping his hands on his knees like he just can't control his excitement. First half hour or so was like that, and I was contemplating murder the whole time (and that's not transphobic you faggots, I'd have wanted to murder anyone doing that fucking bullshit right next to me). However, I think the lackluster story eventually got to him and even he lost much of his enthusiasm. (EDIT: I forgot to add that the tranny was wearing his mask throughout the entire movie.)

Overall rating, meh. Not terrible to see in IMAX 3D, and I didn't hate it, but if work doesn't pay for the next one I won't be seeing it on my own, and I will likely never rewatch this one. If it had just average visuals I'd say don't bother. Particularly for how fucking long it is. I could almost picture James Cameron masturbating to some of the way too fucking long scenes of nothing but shit swimming around to show off how cool he is.
thanks for taking one for the team. think I'll pass. I kinda wanted to watch just for some of the ocean critters and the view of the surface of the water upside down as it reminds me of the verity of my giant aquarium I had.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Good movie that brings back that epic movie feel to the cinema that isn't just another superhero movie. Been a long time coming

Caliane

I wonder if in 3 we'll find out pandora life mesh is actually a super advanced A.I, and its all just the plot to Wildstar mmo.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What "risk" or "point" or "stakes" would there be? What story-beats even to bother with?

If Pandora is destroyed, there's nothing to "fight for" for the Navi. Sure you can film somewhere between 3 and 30 hours of Navi and Humans punching each other, but if neither side has any stakes in the fight because the outcome is already determined, paradise already lost, etc.. it'd all be kinda pointless. There'd not even be story-beats of "a victory for side A, not a victory for side B and a set-back for side A, now a comeback for side A" to structure the "conflict"?
honestly, if what Rajaah Rajaah said was true, if that was actually what the movie was about i would have been all in on this movie. as it is i absolutely do not care about it at all. to your question, lots of stories have similar vibes, where the antagonists are already in a state of post-victory and the protagonists are trying to change ANYTHING about their fate. it'd be kind of interesting to see how an entire species that had not only always been the dominant lifeform of a planet, but never even experienced war reacted to complete and total subjugation.

and obviously it wouldn't be complete and total subjugation because the movie would have to be about the na'vi adapting and learning how to create an effective resistance.

that sounds fun to me, but i love the idea of destroying beautiful things.

destroying-something.gif

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Opening weekends mean a lot less with James Cameron movies, big indicator will be the next couple weekends

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yes, that has been noted many times.

Still, it's a sequel that doesn't offer so much different than the first one.

Juvarisx

Florida
Opening weekends mean a lot less with James Cameron movies, big indicator will be the next couple weekends

That and they are losing 1 showing a day due to runtime. Made 500 mill opening weekend WW which I am sure everyone is happy about. This will probably hit just north of 2 bill WW when its said and done, but who knows people just keep going back maybe like the first one (it was making 10+ million a week into April and it came out in December wtf)

Goatface

numbers based on the $134 estimate
this stat surprised me, guess % will change a lot over time, but thought opening 3d would be a lot higher
3D made up 57% of the domestic earnings, far lower than for the original’s re-release (93%).
dug around and found this article from 2010
Also worth noting, about 80 percent of Avatar’s domestic take and more than two-thirds of its international revenues (up to early February 2010) were generated at 3D/IMAX screenings, which charge premium ticket prices.

IMAX comprised 12% of the domestic opening ($16.5M), less than half the percentage IMAX comprised for the original’s re-release (29%).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My Cinemark only had a single XD theater for the original release but now has multiple and some are outfitted with DBOX. Beyond that it's mostly generic theaters as opposed to the 10 cheapie 3D projectors every place had a decade ago.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
My Cinemark only had a single XD theater for the original release but now has multiple and some are outfitted with DBOX. Beyond that it's mostly generic theaters as opposed to the 10 cheapie 3D projectors every place had a decade ago.
We lost our local IMAX to covid.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

That and they are losing 1 showing a day due to runtime. Made 500 mill opening weekend WW which I am sure everyone is happy about. This will probably hit just north of 2 bill WW when its said and done, but who knows people just keep going back maybe like the first one (it was making 10+ million a week into April and it came out in December wtf)
It made 435 opening weekend. No rounding up.

You mean like the people that are going solely for visuals like the original

Before the first one nothing like it had ever been done before to that level. It's not as novel now. I think that matters at least a little bit.

Juvarisx

Florida
1671393335081.png

Once they get actual's it will be closer to 500 if not over, they usually underestimate on that site

DickTrickle

View attachment 448549

Once they get actual's it will be closer to 500 if not over, they usually underestimate on that site
Interesting, I've seen two other industry sites list 435, so I wonder what's going on.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
numbers based on the $134 estimate
this stat surprised me, guess % will change a lot over time, but thought opening 3d would be a lot higher

I don't actually think this is that remarkable, cause, if I remember correctly, nearly every showing near me for the re-release was in 3D.

The new one's 3D has to compete with the various chains' premium screens now (i.e. AMC's Dolby). The Dolby near me was just as sold out this weekend as the iMax was.